1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bipole or dipole?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by slotski, Apr 11, 2005.

1. slotski

slotski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any help would be appreciated in advising me which road to go down with my surrounds.....my system comprises of audiolab q & px amps (front speakers only), Pioneer dv868avi dvd player, pioneer vsx1014 receiver(used for surrounds and centre only), kef 104.2 reference range main speakers, monitor audio gold reference centre, Panasonic TH42PA20 plasma, Panasonic PT-AE700e lcd projector and a 200mm x 112mm motorised ellie screen. All interconnects and cables are chord company. My dilema is that my seating position is tight up against a back wall so i`m unable to mount any speakers behind me. they have to be mounted on the side walls as far back as i`m sitting.

thanks in advance for any help :lease:

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,019
    I think Dolby reccommends monople speakers for the side surrounds, so if you have some, mount them above the seating position pointing down towards the seats so that all people sat there can hear the sounds from both speakers. Having them too low can result in one speaker being muted by someone sitting next to you (their head gets in the way).

As for dipole and bipole, dipoles lack bass compared to bipoles, and they have a more diffuse sound. Bipoles are more like monopoles, but over a wider field IMHO.

I think either of those might be wasted of they're in a corner, as the corner will be bouncing the sound from one set of the drivers to somewhere else in the room, so it might have a negative effect on the rear soundfield.

Gary.

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I've a similar layout and have monitor Audio BFx speakers on the BACK wall just above head height. They have a mid firing straight out and 2 tweeters either side and this produces a great image at the back. Mine are set to Bipole but they can be set to Dipole easily by removing the jumper cables and crossing them over. Have a look at the monitor audio site for dimesions etc.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    My main sofa is also against the back wall and my rears are high up pointing downwards and do give a very good presence and ambiance to the rear channels but they are tripole m&k k-4s not bipole or dipole.Previous to them i did use mission m7ds which were bipole they did sound ok but the little k-4s do a lot better job.
    Cheers Gonzo.