1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bipolar, what's that do then?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kootuu, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hey,

Just wondering what the difference between bipolar and non bipolar speakers is? What type of set up would benefit from these?

Also, does anyone know of the standard distance fronts have to be from the TV if they are not shielded? Will non shilded speakers cause permanent damage to my TV if they are cauing interference?

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Bipole speakers have two drivers and tweeters firing forwards and backwards and are used as surround speakers. They work well at giving a more dispersed effect than standard direct radiating speakers. Ideally they would be placed directly to the side of the listening position.

With regards to non-shielded speakers, the distance from the TV will vary, I assume it's to do with the size of the magnets inside. I had a pair of non-shielded Kef RDM's and they were ok to about 50cms either side of the TV. The magnets can bugger up your TV so if the speakers are causing problems, move them!

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dipols - drivers firing out of phase (180 degree), resulting in a diffuse sound but bass cancels each other out
    Bipoles - similar construction to Dipoles but drivers in phase, resulting in less diffusion but better bass reproduction
    Monopoles - normal / direct radiating speakers

There are also models which can be switched between different modes.

Exceptions to the rules exist. :)

4. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ahh right I thought that might be the case with the Bipoles.

I think I would have to place my rear speakers directly behind me, would it be best to have them point forward, or slightly inwards, if you know what I mean?

Also, do subs need to be shielded? Or is this just different?

One other thing about subs, I've got an Eltax A10.2 and it has connectors for all five surround speakers? Any idea what the reason behind that is?

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    With bipoles/dipoles you ideally want the "null" (the flat face of the speaker as it were) pointing at your listening spot so that you get the benefit of the dispersed effect. If you have just one of the drivers aimed at you, it will become more localizable, defeating the object of having them in the first place! :)

Some subs are shielded, others not. If it's not then same rules apply, keep it away from the TV.

I would imagine that your Eltax has five connectors so you could use the sub as a high/low pass filter. Feed the sub the full range signals and it will take care of the bass and then feed the filtered signal on to the satellite speakers. Most amps/receivers have bass management so it's not really needed as such. Some sat/sub systems have their gubbins in the sub e.g Bose Acoustimass and you have to connect everything to it.

6. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for clearing that up. I think my sub has a built in amplifier because it mentions "not to cover up the built in amplifier". Do most subs have this feature?

7. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    sorry for joining this thread,but can someone tell me if it's advisable to use 4 dipoles for surround sound duties in a 7.1 set up or 2 dipoles for the side surround duties and 2 monopoles for the back surround duties?
    any info would be greatly appreciated

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The above is currently flavour of the month but it only works if there is space between the seating position and the rear wall.

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +936
    The majority of subs nowadays are powered. There are passive subwoofers available but they require a separate power amplifier to run them and it's best to do this rather than try to power them with a standard AV amp or receiver.

10. maxb_1236

maxb_1236

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard somewhere (I think) that bi/dipolar speakers dont work as well with music as with films. Is this true - and if so would you recommend using monopole speakers in a set up where I'll be listening to music probably half of the time?

Thanks

Max

11. thackl

thackl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A music surround system should really have a matching set of monopoles whilst a movie set up can use any type of mono, bi or dipole for surrounds and back surrounds. Ideallly you have both set up and switch between. Personally I run a set of matching JBL SVAs for music and when it comes to film I simply switch on more speakers (using lots of monopoles to achieve a more diffuse sound but that is an entirely different matter). It works well that way, have a look here (wish I could say 'have a listen') http://members.optusnet.com.au/~thackl/gallery.html

Cheers
    Tom