1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bipolar vrs direct

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pat clancy, May 27, 2003.

1. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi i like the separation of direct speakers,l,c,r,rear left,r right,,if i go for bipolar speakers,do you lose the separation or will they enhance the surround effect.i,m looking for a 6.1 set up,rgrds pat

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your sofa is close to the side speaker or rear speakers I would recommend dipoles for the sides, and bipoles for the rears.

Dipoles create a subtle diffuse sound (speaker is hard to locate) as the back firing side is out of phase. But it does not make the soundfield mushy.

Wheras with bipoles both sides are in-phase.

There's also tripoles, some are switchable from dipoles/tripole operation.

Basically I would say borrow a pair of bipoles, dipoles & tripoles, as well as your monopoles- as see what you prefer.

I have dipoles as sides, monopoles as rears. I might borrow a pair of bipoles for rear use.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I personally prefer bipolars as my rl+rr. They tend to enhance the surround effects during movie sound playback. Positioning doesn't seem to be affected and movement around the rear sound stage seems more noticable imo. Go and have a listen to both types and choose the ones you prefer.
    Sorry I couldn't be more descriptive or technical but i'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you the pro's and cons.
    I tend to just have a play with things and keep what I like and discard the ones i don't. I chose the missions in this manner as with all the other speakers I own bar the sub which I bought blind ( after much research on these forums).