Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Bipolar rear positioning.....again!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hallsy, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I know this has been brought up before, but after looking at other threads I still haven't come up with a definate answer.
    I will be using Gale 3060 bipolars for the rear surrounds in a 5.1 system. I had settled on the majority vote of positioning them on the side walls, the problem is I can't position them in line with the sofa as I have one wall on the left (this would be OK), but a patio door on the right hand side. I can't mount them on the rear wall either as I have a staircase on the back wall.
    I could mount them on the side walls approximately 1-2 feet IN FRONT of the listening position, but would this sound odd, and not give enough rear surround fill?
    The only other option would be ceiling mount, how does this compare to side mounting? If ceiling mounting would work whereabouts should I mount them, i.e distance from side walls, directly above listening position?
    Also, if anybody has the Gale 3060's could they tell me how they are mounted?
    Thanks.

2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,639
    I havent got the gales that you have, I have a pair of mordaunt short msb 20 bi pole that I use for my rears. Mine are mounted just above the listening position on the sides.

I would NOT place them in front of the listening position, as I find this destroys the surround effect almost completely.

With the problem you seem to have, I would personally try to mount them one of two ways:

1.One on the wall and one screwed onto a stand (by the patio window) and see what I think.

2.If you have no choice but to put them on the ceiling, I would try my best to angle them towards your listening position and have them mounted about a foot to a foot and a half away from the outside wall/patio door. Then just see what you think from there. If your not sure about the ceiling get two tall mates to hold them up in position when you have a listen. Be sure to set them up on your amp to the surround speakers 'high' option and it shouldnt be to bad

Let us know how you get on

tris

3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for your reply. I had considered maybe fixing one to the wall and the other on a stand and will definately try it, the missus will love the look!!
    So from the ceiling they would still need to be orientated as if they were on a wall, but pointing down slightly as they would be a lot higher than normal?
    I can see more room chnages happening soon, I've already moved the room around once to get a better front soundstage!!