Bioshock The Movie (Netflix TBC)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Pirates of the Caribbean's Gore Verbinski set to direct the movie based on the game, early days the script is not written, so thats that :D

Update - see post #15 for new director

Should make for an interesting film, lets hope Disney is not involved, otherwise it will be a family film.

Game trailer - Caution viewer discretion advised.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMAkJj-YI8

Last edited:
By far the best thing about Bioshock was its cinematic aspects such as the story, atmosphere and characters. The gameplay itself was average at best in my opinion and almost got in the way of the plot. Unlike essentially every other game-to-film adaptation, Bioshock should have been a movie in the first place. With Verbinski at the helm, this one has a decent chance of success.

Bioshock was one the best games I have ever played in over 20 years of gaming

The film, predictably, will be a pile of pish. The film needs to be dark, violent and an adult experience with a well written script, good casting and set design and SFX that compliment the game. In fact, all these things are the opposite of what a big studio (especially Disney!) would want in a film.

Cynic? Me? :D

Hopefully the film will focus more on the failure of Rapture itself rather than cop-out and just go for a full-on genetic powers CG battle fest.

As for the whole game-to-film debate, I still maintain there's only one game that truly should be adapted to the big screen: Grim Fandango. Played by no-one, loved by everyone who did.

Oooh nice idea. Get Tim Burton to direct it! That would be amazing...

Could be good but as said would need to be quite a dark tone for the plot. If it was me writing it then I would mix up the plot to have a bit at the start showing Rapture as it fell then cut to the main part.

What's Bioshock about? Is it from a game series like Half Life?

It is a first-person shooter and what is meant to be the spiritual successor to System Shock 2. Have a look at this wiki entry it talks about the setting and story in depth.

From the above wiki link

'On May 9, 2008, Take Two announced a deal with Universal to produce a BioShock movie, to be directed by Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Carribean) and written by John Logan (The Aviator).'

Hope this means Disney stays away and the film can do the game justice.

Aren't we still waiting on Halo?

being a huge fan of the game im not expecting the film to be any good what so ever.
reguardless of who directs/produces/financeses this project you know they will find a way to water it down and loose the overall feeling of the game.
the game is aimed at adults the film will be aimed at kids.

if you think im wrong just wait and see.

Agreed.

One of the finest games I have ever played, but no hopes at all for the movie. Like all films of this nature, regardless of the eventual rating / certificate they'll aim it squarely at Kevin the Teenager.

I'd like to be proven wrong, as of all the games I've played this one truly has cinematic potential.

Agreed.

One of the finest games I have ever played, but no hopes at all for the movie. Like all films of this nature, regardless of the eventual rating / certificate they'll aim it squarely at Kevin the Teenager.

I'd like to be proven wrong, as of all the games I've played this one truly has cinematic potential.

I don't think they will water it down.

The game is aimed at adults, now why would they aim the film at children? Theoretically the majority who bought the game would be over 18, it's not like we are talking about Halo and remember it doesn't have the same target audience of say GTA.

Bioshock can work as a film it just wether to be seen if this adaption will work.

Well Doom was a wonderful film and worked well. Oh wait a minute. Well there was House of the Dead. Ahh.

Come to think of it has any film adapted from a computer game ever been any good? For me the best I can see was that Tomb Raider, Silent Hill and Resident Evil were 'watchable'.

New director in talks

Back in April Bioshock was put on hold due to the heavy mounting costs, over $160m it would involve making such a movie. Now its back on, with a lower budget and the shoot has been moved overseas. Original director Gore Verbinski has stepped out off the project due to other directing commitments. Now Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later) is in talks to direct. Gore Verbinski will still be acting as producer.

Update from producer Gore Verbinski

"We're working trying to make it," he explained. "The problem with BioShock was: R-rated movie, underwater, horror. It's a really expensive R-rated movie. So we're trying to figure out a way working with [director] Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later) to get the budget down and still keep so it's true to the core audience. The thing is it has to be R, a hard R."

The fact that "Prince of Persia" (another movie based on a video game) underperformed domestically doesn't discourage Verbinski from making "BioShock." He said: "I think BioShock's a rare one because it's actually a great story. Me? I don't want to make movies based on video games, but BioShock's the one Oedipal, crazy kind of -- it's just got really good bones, and we're really trying to figure out a way to make it work."

He added: "We don't want to dumb it down, we don't want to make it PG-13. We want to keep it really edgy, and it's a huge bill."

The film seems to be on hold indefinitely, but here is a fan-made teaser trailer

The next video game is going in a completely different direction, above the clouds rather than below the waves. I do not know how they will make a film now, probably won't happen.

SONY has registered some Bioshock movie domain names, so could be in the early stages of resurrecting the project, that Universal Pictures once failed in their attempt to bring to screen.

It's not known at this stage whether it's a live-action or a animated movie.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom