1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bios update...Help!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by martian1, Oct 4, 2003.

1. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have a MSI- 6533 mobo running a MSI- ti4200 Graphics card. This is my problem, when i ran sissoftware utilities it stated that the fast writes feature of my mobo isnt available. My mobo manual states it has this feature so does my graphics card. This is a BIOS problem!
    I checked out MSI site for an update and on the 1.3 v this feature has been fixed. The latest Bios update is 1.4.
    I have never attempted a bios update so obviously worried in case i screw my board.
    My question is this. Is it a feature "worth the risk" of an update, not neccessarily for my present graphics card but for future ones.
    I have msi live update on my pc but it was installed with my g.card not mobo so not sure if it will or how it works.
    My other option is to take my pc to a local shop who said they could do it for £15. What do you think! :confused:

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    £15 seems fair.

Or you could try fixing it yourself and end up having to pay £600. For a new computer ;)

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It's not that important really. I updated my bios, coz i'm an idiot. It disabled the usb controllers, so i couldn't use anything on my pc. After nearly an entire day of messing around i'd managed to sort it out. Not recommended unless you know what you are doing

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    So this feature probably not worth the hastle, doubt i will bother.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Flash-updating your ROM isn't always that safe either. Sometimes it can go very wrong, and you would need to get a new motherboard.

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    It IS worth updating your BIOS.
    I've done several of my own (MSI 6330) and other pepes.
    The updates usually fix bugs, allows for faster CPUs, larger HDs etc.

It's no big deal really and it's child's play to do.

As long as you have the correct bios update for your board and follow the instructions that come with it you can't go wrong.
    It's done in literrally seconds.

Once you do an update, you'll need to update the bios settings to default and make the changes to your prefs.

And if you do screw up, it's not the end of the world and it certainly IS NOT '£600 for a new one and you won't neeed to 'get a new motherboard'. Games Guru is just telling you 'scare stories'.

The 'screwed' BIOS chip can be easily re-programmed by an EPROM progamming sofware and hardware by someone who has the tools (like we do where I work).
    A good 'local PC repair man' should be able to do this.

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    The easiest thing to do would be to fork out the £15. That way if it does go wrong, you can ask them to pay to repair it :)

8. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Ok back to shop then i will ask them if all goes wrong were i stand! My pc is a medion and since i bought puter from staples and its labled cybercom i cannot find the bios update on their site.
    So i opened my case took name off mobo and sis chipset number this should be enough info to ensure i have the right bios! I have updated SIS chipset for agp ok, got service pack 1 for xp found a better nvidia driver 43.45 so just the bios to do, I have ran 3D mark 2001 and got a score ranging from 7150 to 7440 [over clocking] how does this fair on a P4 2ghz test running at default.

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    You don't need the chipset number, jst the mboard make, model and version/revision num which is normally stamped on the board between two PCI slots.

Go for it, it's simplicity in itself.

If by some chance you screw it up, mail the BIO Schip to me and i'll get it re-programmed at work with the latest BIOS update.

10. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Kevo i will pm you with my details, can i try and send you a copy of my mobo manual and the msi bios update readme, it has a few different methods on it and i need to clarify exactly what instruction to use and how. All my mobo has on it regarding ID is 6533 [ hardly make it out].

Cheers.

11. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enabling fast write can cause some graphics problems and is generally considered best left off as a precaution. If you think enabling it is going to make a huge difference to your benching, think again. I know that Radeon's are better suited to leaving fast write off due to glitching particularly when overclocking. Seems to me that £15 to get the bios flashed is reasonably cheap considering the cost if you get it wrong. Then again, £15 to enable something that (a) won't make any difference, or (b) needs to be switched off again, is a complete waste of money.

12. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Thanks for the info regarding fastwrites, this was my fear! I dont fancy going through an upgrade for a useless feature especially if there is a good chance of screwing something critical on my system.
    Any more thoughts on fastwrites feature? :smashin:

13. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't waste any more time on it. If it made any meaningful difference it would come switched on permanently and graphics cards would take full advantage of it. Makes you wonder why its selectable in the bios doesn't it? Better to try a bit of tweaking on your CPU and graphics card if your looking for a tad more performance.