1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIOS setup cockup

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mephistopheles, Mar 24, 2003.

1. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A stupid keyboard error has resulted in a saved configuration for incorrect CPU and memory settings in the BIOS. The system now halts on POST with no beeps and no screen output so if there's an error message, which presumably there is, it's not visible.

Can anything be done to reset the BIOS to default settings so the system can be started and the correct entries made? (Short of replacing the CPU and memory with what is specified)

And why doesn't it automatically reset itself to BIOS defaults when it detects the wrong hardware/timings?

2. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    You should be able to reset your bios back to the default via a jumper on your motherboard. Have a look in your mobo instruction manual or on the manufacturers web site.

If you were changing hardware in your PC and the bios reset does not work make sure your memory and PCI cards are bedded ok.

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, there's no manual for this m/b and I can't find out which one it is other than that it's a PC Chips (fortunately, not mine!).

I suppose I could just go for it empirically with each of the jumpers one by one. Since the m/b's u/s in the absence of the specified chip and memory anyway, seems like it might be worth having a go.

Presumably, I need to power on each time I change one?

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Does it have a battery on the mobo ?

If so remove it and leave it out for a while - maybe overnight - should do the trick.

Otherwise the board should have the jumpers labled. It should be down as either CMOS, ClearRTT, Reset or similar.

Hope that helps,

Lee

5. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Or you might be able to see the model number and make on the motherboard.

Changing the wrong jumper might change the voltage to the CPU or have some other unwanted effect.

6. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If there's an FCC ID on the board, it's often traceable using that. Taking the battery out is the best bet for this instance though. Assuming it isn't hard soldered onto the board (been done befroe...)

7. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It just says :-

Tested to comply
    with FCC Standards
    FOR HOME OR OFFICE USE

Then in a separate box underneath :-

Canada ICES-003
    Class/Class B

The latter is the Canadian FCC equivalent, "Interference Causing Equipment Standards", I believe. Not much help.

The jumbers are labelled variously RC***; RI*** and J*; one of them is red, labelled J9 not far from the BIOS chip, and is earmarked as candidate number one for the empirical method. Not one of them says CLRTC; RESET;CMOS;Clear***, or anything similar.

I had tried taking out the battery, but I only left it out for a couple of hours. I'll try again overnight this time.

Thanks for your help guys.

8. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    See if you can find a jumper labled JBat

Paul

9. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem has not been resolved but it has been eliminated!

In my absence, someone who is going to be relieved of his danglies when I get my hands on him apparently professed to have an immediate solution and promptly unplugged the BIOS chip; in attempting to replace it he broke off one of its pins.

For £25 I have now bought an allegedly brand new Epox EP-BX7+100, which has the Intel 440BX chipset, to replace the PC Chips motherboard..........

Nevertheless, I did take a look at what remains of it, but there is no sign of a JBat jumper either.

10. Orbitalzone

Orbitalzone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    In all honesty breaking the leg off a BIOS chip is probably the best thing to do with a PC Chips motherboard... they're pretty much bottom of the pile and although appear great value (I suppose they are) They've been responsible in the past for such delights as sticking fake cache chips on mobos's, UDMA that doesn't function and other such things....

I had a couple of these boards and whilst they do work, they don't work anywhere nearly as good as anyother mobo.

11. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fortunately, the PC Chips board wasn't mine; it belonged to my neighbour. I have never owned one and hope never to do so, having heard their reputation. I'm happily using an ASUS TUSL2-C + PIII Tualatin 1.26 512 system.

Said neighbour is now getting a new system, which I'm about to build for her, comprising ASUS A7N8X Deluxe; Barton 2500+ with SLK-800/Panaflo LV 92mm; Corsair XMS 3200 TwinX; Barracuda V; Millenium G550, all housed in a neat little Antec case which comes complete with a True Power 330.

I have 'inherited' the remains of her previous system for my sins and on which I'll use the 'new' Epox board and a 'brand new' PIII 850 I just got on eBay for £40, to build myself an experimental media/web/file server.

Thankyou PC Chips!!