bios cant detect HD but shows under "my computer"

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by fluff34567, Jan 6, 2012.

1. fluff34567

fluff34567

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hi all,

I built a system the other day and having a wierd issue, maybe someone here with more computer knowledge can assist?

I have:
    120gb SDD
    2TB HDD
    150Gb HDD
    blu-ray writed/dvd drive

In the bios i can see the SDD, 2TB and BR/dvd but NOT the 150gb HDD

In my computer i can see the SDD, 150gb HDD and the BR/dvdrom but NOT the 2TB.

EDIT: I can see all the drives under device manager and it says all are working properly.

All are conected with sata cables and the MB is currently set to AHCI mode.

any ideas?

the MB is an Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...8Z68V_PROGEN3/

coldnt see anything mentioned in the MB manual about this.

Any ideas :lease:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Most likely only the std 3Gb/sec "blue" ports will show up in the bios, as the add-on SATA controllers responsible for the other SATA connectors are not fully integrated into the bios. You can usually see a prompt on the screen just before Windows start to configure these controller chips (there is usually no need at all for you do go in there!).
    If you swap the SATA port used for the 2TB with the 150GB than the 150GB drive will likely show in the bios and the 2TB will not.

Have you ever used the 2TB drive before? IF not then you need to initialise it first. WARNING this will kill any data on it, so don't do this if there are useful files on it.

Click start and type Computer Management then pick it from the list above. Now click on Disk Management on the left-hand menu. In the centre window you can now see a grey box with a list of hard drives (ie: Disk 0, Disk 1 , Disk 2 etc...) Go to the one that shows as ~ 1800GB, it should have a red marker on it. Right click and select Initialise. Next create a new primary partition by right clicking the large area to the right of that drive. Windows will ask you give it a name and let you assign it a drive letter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  3. fluff34567

fluff34567

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks...... that appears to be the issue, but it caused me loads of problems trying to get it initialised, i kept getting an error message saying the drives has changed etc and i had to restart the manager.

eventually i managed the system to recognise the drive my making it dynamic, basic would not work then after a few restarts i have managed to get the drive assigned a drive letter and its currently formatting.

it was a bit odd as sometimes the drive would show and sometimes not.. oh well. I guess the format will take most of the evening so wil see how it goes.

thanks for assistance.

4. SUMMONER

SUMMONER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Press cancel on the format and do a quick-format instead, you will be able to use the drive right away.

Rather strange, my 2TB Hitachi drive works fine as a basic disk.

5. fluff34567

fluff34567

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thought all was working but then the 150gb disk dent awol!

swapped some of the connectors around and now all works fine, appears the drives dont like some of the sata connectors! oh well, all is ok for now.