Biomass CHP

• Thread starter Deleted member 253639
  • Start date

Deleted member 253639

Reaction score
Hi all,
Has anyone on here got any experience with biomass CHP?
We’re in a 1750s old cold house and currently heating is provided by an oil fired Rayburn.

We’re not completely financial driven as otherwise we’d just keep the oil Rayburn!
At the moment We’re not at all convinced by ASHP or GSHP, our floors are all solid and the prospect of tearing them up for underfloor heating is a bit overwhelming it also seems like the only sensible way to handle the output from A/GSHP in a property like this

so this has lead me to think about biomass as an option?

we also have 2.5acres we could potentially plant to willow or something

Good luck with the tree planting idea as it takes a while to grow. My friend has a biomass boiler (connected to a solar hot water system). He buys the wood in 26t at a time - that's a typical load on the forrest trucks that carry timber. He gets the thin stuff as it is cheap. Then hires in a log cutting machine, cuts it down to lengths 10mm shorter than the boiler can take. It ttakes one weekend of hard labour to load the machine, cut, collect and stack the load. One year later the wood will have dried to the point it is ready for use.

Good luck with the tree planting idea as it takes a while to grow. My friend has a biomass boiler (connected to a solar hot water system). He buys the wood in 26t at a time - that's a typical load on the forrest trucks that carry timber. He gets the thin stuff as it is cheap. Then hires in a log cutting machine, cuts it down to lengths 10mm shorter than the boiler can take. It ttakes one weekend of hard labour to load the machine, cut, collect and stack the load. One year later the wood will have dried to the point it is ready for use.
Thank you, we can get willow on a 5year cycle which isn’t too bad and can just get pellets during that time. We’re plenty familiar with the wood cycle and labour for the existing wood burners! Even if we had to keep up with pellet delivery’s we’re not looking at much more than oil costs at the moment and obviously oil is cheap at the moment.

unfortunately though it seems that even 15years on from when I last looked, CHP still isn’t available on a small scale.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom