Binge watching thread Covid 19

Jason56d

Well what are they about, BigStu?
Quarry was a great little show.

Godless, I agree is well worth it as well.

BigStu1972

Distinguished Member
Well what are they about, BigStu?
Godless - is a western set around a town where most of the "menfolk" were killed in a mining accident. Jeff Daniels is brilliant as the bad guy and Merritt Wever (who also stars in Unbelievable) is also on fine form.

Quarry - Is about two Vietnam war vets who have returned home and find themselves working for the local gangster to make some money. It has a great 70's vibe and I think it still available to watch on SKY.

Unbelievable - Is a true story about a girl who is raped whom the police do not believe. Merritt Wever and Toni Collette are fantastic as the cops investigating as is Kaitlyn Dever as the victim.
It's very harrowing and powerful but utterly brilliant viewing,

tazmago

Half way through The Alienist on Netflix atm, and really enjoying it. Has a similar feel to Ripper Street, but this is a little darker than that show.

VisionMan

I'm sorry to say I gave up on Breaking Bad after the first season as I didn't like it.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I did the same with Breaking Bad first time around.

Watched the first season, thought it was OK, nothing special. Probably left it a year and went back and really loved it.

Jason56d

I'm sorry to say I gave up on Breaking Bad after the first season as I didn't like it.
I've said before (numerous times), we gave up on after season 1 as well. The Mrs thought it was too much hard work and didn't like any of the characters.

Then when season 3 ended I decided to try again on my own. From the shoot out with Tuco at the beginning of season 2, it grabbed me and I never looked back. Must have seen every episode at least 4-5 times each. Love it and am due a re-watch again soon, possibly leave it till Better Call Saul ends and go straight into BB?

Try again when you get chance as it really kicks into gear from season 2 onwards.

pjhaahl

At the moment I'm doing Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders, and another Life.

Just finished The Umbrella Academy, altered Carbon, The Crown, 3%, oh and also did a full DS9 rewatch a few weeks ago when it all kicked off.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Finished The Act last night.

Great acting as has been said, but not as good as I’d been expecting from what everyone has said.

Don’t get me wrong it’s certainly well above average, but there’s no way it’s up there with really great TV.

Thought they also dragged it out a bit too long, could’ve done with being a couple of episodes shorter.

Also finished my The Shield rewatch. Outstanding.

Started Bosch last night.

As for movies, onto Force Awakens in my SW rewatch. Never really a big fan, it’s just a remake of New Hope, and Ren still comes across as a spoiled teenager who can’t get his own way. Enjoying it a little more than previously this time. Maybe watching without high expectations helps?

Last Jedi should be interesting, in three attempts I’ve never made it right through without falling asleep :laugh:

Not seen RoS before, so not sure what I’ll make of that, very low expectations going in, with all the terrible reviews.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Only mentioning shows here as films reviewed over in the movie section:

Netflix
Unbelievable
Rock solid police investigation drama with terrific performances 8/10
Mindhunter
As above 8/10
Caliphate
Unmissable drama about the fate of Swedish women duped into joining ISIS 10/10
Better Call Saul
The world doesn't deserve television of this calibre. Also, it's the second best looking show I've ever seen 10/10
Planet Earth II/ Blue Planet II
The best looking television show I've ever seen 10/10
Tiger King
Interesting but not completely gripped yet 7/10 so far

Disney+
The Mandalorian
The type of star wars we need right now and looks splendid in 4k. Movie quality production, and that's no exaggeration this time. 8/10
Clone Wars season 7
Really good stuff, aimed more towards kids but its action packed and imaginitive, more so than some of the recent films 8/10
Year Million
A scientifically literate speculation about how human civilisation will evolve and develop in the far future. A combination of talking heads and fictional dramatisation with some neat visuals. 7/10

Amazon Prime
Picard
As 'Star Trek', it's a completely meaningless and trite addition to the canon lacking all imagination and invention. But seen as a straight up space opera adventure, it's pretty enjoyable. Visuals are terrific and there's some nice fan service here and there. 6.5/10

VisionMan

Not seen RoS before, so not sure what I’ll make of that, very low expectations going in, with all the terrible reviews.
Yes, its been slaughtered. Even I, as a Star Wars nut could see its faults. We enjoyed it but we made it a family day out and it was our first ever IMAX experience which was truly amazing.

I'd just put your brain into popcorn mode, with a bag in hand of course, don't expect too much and sit back and enjoy. :thumbsup:

richp007

Distinguished Member
I'm all about the feel-good at the moment, so I've dived back into Flight of the Conchords.

Love it. Simple, clever, fun - and the songs are outstanding. Short little punchy episodes, perfect viewing material right now.

Just gutted it was only ever 2 seasons.

And that really is Alicia Silverstone.

Last edited:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
I'm all about the feel-good at the moment, so I've dived back into Flight of the Conchords.

Love it. Simple, clever, fun - and the songs are outstanding. Short little punchy episodes, perfect viewing material right now.

Just gutted it was only ever 2 seasons.

And that really is Alicia Silverstone.
If you need some more (although not the series) there's the 2018 Live in London performance available to buy :
They promoted it on The Late Show and their performance of Father and Son is brilliant :

richp007

Distinguished Member
I've seen the live show cheers, but not those Late Show vids so will check them out later.

I've always lived in hope they might reunite for another series, or even just a few special episodes.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Westworld was/is an interesting concept but I did struggle a little. I bought S1 on Blu-ray and after finishing it I didn't rush to buy the 2nd..

I'm 3 episodes into S3 of my HoC rewatch. Perhaps better 2nd time round. Mind you it slows down a lot in S4 & 5. We'll see.

Prob rewatch Deadwood after. Though I only watched it in Dec/January..so maybe not! I bought walking dead 1-6 off here, but I've seen those numerous times over the years.

With amazon.fr stopping non priority shipping it's going to be tough going the next few months for TV! Esp as our already slow internet has crawled to a standstill. Buffering with 360p content ftw?!

VisionMan

I've never seen House of Cards. I've been told seasons 1 & 2 are excellent, the rest garbage.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
That about sums it up :)

The original is well worth a watch though.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I've never seen House of Cards. I've been told seasons 1 & 2 are excellent, the rest garbage.
Not garbage, but there is a change of pace. Becomes more political and less 'savage'.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Struggled to the end of Castle Rock season 1. Not sure I’ll bother with S2 unless anyone knows if it’s markedly better than the first?

richp007

Distinguished Member
Struggled to the end of Castle Rock season 1. Not sure I’ll bother with S2 unless anyone knows if it’s markedly better than the first?
S2 is better yes. S1 is more of an acquired taste.

I love stuff like it though, all the nods to King's works are tremendous.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Decided to try S2, watched the first one, already enjoying it more than the first.

I did read somewhere S1 is more along the lines of Dark Tower (which I haven’t read) and Talisman which I have, so that probably didn’t help.

Years since I read any King, enjoying spotting the obvious nods, I’m sure I’m missing loads though.

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Decided to try S2, watched the first one, already enjoying it more than the first.

I did read somewhere S1 is more along the lines of Dark Tower (which I haven’t read) and Talisman which I have, so that probably didn’t help.

Years since I read any King, enjoying spotting the obvious nods, I’m sure I’m missing loads though.
Yeah I need to read a detailed synopsis of them to be honest as I'm sure I've missed a lot myself.

Season 2 is also helped by Tim Robbins' presence (a real goosebump scene involving him later on), and Lizzy Caplan is tremendous as Annie Wilkes.

Plus it is linked to Season 1, but I can't say more than that....