1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binge Drinking linked to prices?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by smelly, Aug 12, 2005.

1. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Can't see this guy being very popular :D

Price of a pint to £7

But taking out the comic element does anyone think he's right?? Prices like that would definitely put me off from drinking out so much, but would it stop those on the streets drinking cheap cider/lager/sherry out of takeout bottles? Would it punish 'good' citizens rather than those that they're trying to stop?

2. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I think they tried banning booze some place before I think :rolleyes:

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I don't think it would work to be honest. I've spent about £90 on beer in Leicester Square a couple of times without giving it a second thought. Lots of people earn way more than me and are happy to pee a weeks wages away every friday night. In my experience the pub fighters often earn vast amounts of money.

4. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    I'd say on the basis that all the 'problem' binge drinkers in my town are nearly all younger kids and low-earners, getting lagered up in pubs all night, then all spilling out onto the streets at 11pm and peeing/puking/fighting everywhere... an end to licensing hours and £5 a pint/short would probably end the problem in no time at all....?

It wouldn't be 'fair' at all.... but then what else is?

Can't see me being too popular either now... :D

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    A few pup landlords in court for breach of licence (selling to someone intoxicated) would sort a lot of it out.

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    that was gonna be in my first post but i deleted it for some reason...

when I started going out drinking (and i'm only 30!), if you couldn't walk you didn't get served, and if you argued about it, you got literally thrown outside to the waiting coppers... and if you argued with them aswell, you went straight in a van, and a long night in the cells.

It's quite scary what a nation of junkies we've become, especially the kids..?

in my eyes, the only difference between a crack-head and a p**s-head is about £150 per day.... :rolleyes:

Oh, and crackers don't p**s all over my beautiful (by day) town...

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,582
    The price of a pint in Dublin can be as high as £6/€9 but it hasn't made much difference.

Plus, all that will happen if prices goto £7 a pint, is people will get hammered before they leave the house, and just finish off the night in the pub, where they will have only 1 or 2 drinks.

Pub landlords just need to stop serving pissheads...

8. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    It seems to me the two are linked so absolutely though...?

if there was actually a profit in selling 2 drinks to somebody, would landlords be so keen (or pressured) to sell any amount of drinks, to anybody, regardless of age, sex, how drunk they already are.....?

I'm a single bloke, living on/above the main pedestrian route into my town centre...
    I see gangs of gorgeous girls on their way out for the night, and think to myself I'd have just about any of 'em....
    three hours later, I see the same girls from my window, this time squatting in the street and peeing like dogs....

what's happening to the world? :(

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Nothing new that's what. If you'd looked out of your window on many major towns in the 19th Century you'd have seen much the same. Just uglier, dirtier, and smellier women. ;)

Same reasons too. Boring lives, no real prospects, so drowning it all in drink.

It's no surprise that drink problems have got worse again, as society is offering less again.

On the same note, they didn't introduce prohibition in the US because so few people were getting ratted.........

Back on topic I don't think somehow raising drink prices will effect bingeing. The most expensive places in the new town centres tend to attract binge drinkers not deter them! Its like fags, no matter how high the price people will keep drinking. Again, prohibition proved that. The mobs charged thru the nose but it made no difference.

10. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Well, I wasn't around in the 19th century to witness the things you have mate.. ;)

Oppositely, I'd say the world is full of opportunities these days, you can literally go almost anywhere, do almost anything... it just depends how much you want to do it. Age doesn't really matter anymore, sex doesn't matter anymore, race doesn't neccessarily matter anymore... things are just not the same as they were.

- if you give people with 'no lives and no real prospects' an easy way of keeping themselves in exactly that situation, the situation isn't going to change much surely?

Lets face it, if Fords cost the same as Ferraris, who on earth would buy a Ford? ;)

11. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Try popping down to Asda in a Ferrari and coming away with anything but a bag of grapes or change from a £20 note from the petrol required! :D

12. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    If you left a Ferrari outside Asda you'd be walking home anyway.. :D

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,348
    As someone else has already said, if it cost more in the pubs they would just drink more cheap booze before leaving home. When I was a lad ;) if we went to anywhere expensive we'd make sure our women had a few little bottle of vodka in their handbags so we could keep dipping into that during the night :)
    It's all about the culture of this country - pub culture rather than the bar culture you get in Europe. I've been out on a Saturday night in lots of normal European towns and it's just totally different as the youngsters just sit at the tables outside chatting and even some of them with non alcoholic drinks.

14. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    I know what you mean, the culture is vastly different, but i'm still personally convinced price is the driving factor behind this difference...
    I spent most of last year going out with a girl from Norway, some of the stories she had to tell were quite enlightening.

Alcoholism in Norway is almost unheard of these days, which is commonly believed to be down to the fact that a drink over there often costs 4 times what it does in comparison to here..

The scary thing, is that Norwegian students who come to University in England, as she did, have something like a 45-55% rate of alcohol related problems when they return home.
    Norwegian students are actually counselled as to the dangers of living in England/English culture before they come over here!!

Scandinavians look at going out for a few drinks like they (and more importantly we) look at going out for a nice meal... because it costs about the same.

15. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    So are you saying that all alcohol should be quadrupled in price?I mean not just the pubs but offlicences/supermarkets as well?IMO you may as well just try and go the whole hog and go for prohibition,cos I cant see many people round my way paying over 20 quid for a 4 pack of Stella :rolleyes:

The suggestion that people are getting drunk on the weekend merely because its cheap seems ludicrous to me :rolleyes:

One thing I can guarantee you 100% is if prices were to go up that much it would succeed in one thing.....increasing drug use dramatically!lol, a price hike like that would have the dealers round here peeing themselves with laughter!A lot of recreational drugs are already the same price as a pint of beer if you know the right people; a pricerise like this would just make it a no brainer for most folk :zonked:

So thinking about it,yes the price increase may work because everyone would just be off their face instead,lets just hope the pubs can afford to stay open just selling lemonade/redbull :hiya:

16. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    *****ng chavs, thats the majority of what this is

17. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Just a slight contradiction in your first two statements, but you have totally grasped my whole point... :smashin:

Alcohol is quite easily the most damaging (statistically) of ALL KNOWN DRUGS.... if a pint/6pack cost the same as a line of coke, would there be as many people staggering around wrecked all the time? I for one just don't think so.. ;)

If all the pissheads publicly urinating everywhere were sitting at home rolling joints instead, or whatever, would that be such a bad thing for society in comparison?

18. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Really? With your views you surprise me...........

To do what exactly? Oh yes, get drunk and laid......... Oh great! Things have changed then haven't they - not!

Are you living in the real World? Glass ceilings, even according to that august body the CBI, still exist. Opportunites? What, working in the local pizza factory, DIY store, or one of the other countless, meaningless jobs, in our post industrial society? If you really think these (which now form the bulk of jobs for a worryingly large number of people in post industrial towns) are 'worthwhile and great opportunites' then God help you...........

*yawns* really? :rolleyes: Why then, when there were real jobs on offer, no matter how hard, do people admit they had a greater sense of self worth?

Huh? I would for a start. Try getting three kids, half ton of luggage, and affording to travel two hundred odd miles to visit rellys in a bloody Ferrari........ :rolleyes: Next analogy please.

Very true John. But they also have had much longer opening hours than us, and therefore there is much less pressure to drink so much, so quickly. Whether that will work in the short term over here is open to question.

There are now plenty of bars and clubs in town centres as part of the 'urban regeneration' masterplan. It's strikes me as funny therefore when politicans both local and national, left and right, complain then when people stop using their local, get dressed up to the nines, and make a night of it amongst hundreds of others in the 'new' town centre. Perhaps a bit of holding up of hands and admitting to a cock up? Hmmmm?

Since H is now probably as cheap as alcohol in some clubs, methinks your masterplan falls down. I for one would rather have a load of pissheads around than a load of junkies.

19. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Thats a of a simplistic view because not all druggies sit at home stoned on the sofa bothering no-one and not all drunks urinate everywhere :) We get as many or more problems round here due to drug related issue than alcohol.

And I don't think that hiking up the price would solve anything - although it may seem like it temporarily. As John says its the culture. Wine is as cheap as anything in France and yet they don't have the same problem over there. Its peoples attitudes - why they drink, and why some need to drink to excess. And why some are such idiots when they do! :D That's why trying to solve the problem by tackling the symptom and not the cause isn't going to work. By just trying to make alcohol too expensive will just make people look elsewhere for the same kicks.

20. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    ................says it in a nutshell smelly. ;) Although I would agree with the next bit you wrote.

Exactly. We need to deal with the underlying issues not the symptoms. Sadly those underlying issues are not going to be dealt with by easy, knee jerk, solutions.

21. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Sorry ,only thing I disagree with really.I wouldnt class "H" as a recreational drug and in my experience(the extremley dodgy pubs being the exception)you would very rarely get any smack heads in normal pubs/clubs.Pills,speeds,weed,coke are already big parts of pub/club life even before any price hikes and their use would definatley increase but I cant see smack featuring in the equation much TBH.Maybe its different in your area though so :confused:

22. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Bah,thats all I was trying to say!Curse my incompetence :(

23. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    H use is much higher in large cities like the pool'. Having said that, when I lived in Kingston (upon Thames) there were a large number of users there. It's often just a case of knowing who's who. They regularly haunted a few of the local boozers.

However, you are correct, it's hardly a 'recreational' drug. I was just using the cost factor to show how daft the idea is of pushing up alcohol prices and thinking it would be better to have people taking drugs instead. There is also the danger that doing so would increase the use of hard drugs if they (and many already are) were cheaper.

24. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Not at all mate, I jumped on your bandwagon sorry ;)

25. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Overkill,

Your first post actually contained the most telling statement of all.. the 'boring lives' justifying binge dinking statement sums it all up very nicely indeed...

On that comparison alone:
    Pissheads vs Junkies... what exactly IS the difference?

make people pissing their lives and money away a less than favourable option, and they will almost certainly look less than favourably on continually doing it.

However, if people still choose to spend all their cash on getting wasted, by whatever means, that's their choice, and they're entitled to it... but the harder it is to do, the less of them will be doing it.. and trying to blame 'society' or the government, or whatever, for people basically lacking in drive or ambition is both very telling and very sad indeed..

I was born in Hull, left school at 15, have lived just outside there all my life, and now earn plenty of cash, have a nice comfortable life, and own a second place just ouside Capetown. That didn't all happen by accident, it took some hard work, and plenty of ambition... Oh, and i haven't spent the last 15 years of my life feeling sorry for myself and pissing my wages up the wall.

Just because you've spent a few years in Liverpool doesn't make you any kind of expert on poverty or hardship mate, you really don't have the slightest clue it seems.

If you seriously think working at B&Q, and living in a council house is such a bad life, you're quite welcome to come and visit SA with me anytime.

1 HOUR in the townships with me will permanently change your whole blinkered outlook on life.

Ironically enough, it's you who has the outdated views mate. Are you sure you are living in the real world?

26. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Wow, am i the only one who still enjoys going out into town with friends now and again at the weekend. Was out last night and am having a recovery session at the moment :D

27. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,348
    Are you sure about that ? Around about 100,000 people die from smoking related diseases every year in the UK - I would say that make cigarettes the most damaging of all know drugs.

28. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    a fair point well made... :smashin:

Cigs @ £20 per pack..... would that help persuade people to stop smoking?

29. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,348
    I think that if the government really wanted people to stop smoking they could increase the price of a pack by £5 in one go, that would hopefully make a lot of people want to stop. But the main problem with this is the thousands that are bought duty free and then used/sold in this country would still keep the price down for the ones who really want to carry on killing themselves ;)

30. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Who is justifing anything? I am more interested in trying to find out the REAL reasons for binge drinking than coming out with knee jerk solutions.

The difference being that there are a LOT more people who drink too much (yet ironically look down on Junkies) and who therefore need dealing with even more urgently. Junkies have been with us since we began to import hard drugs back in the 19th C. Alcohol problems come and go depending on changes in society. But of course being a self appointed expert you knew that. ;)

Erm', no. History has shown us that that is not the case.

Why so? Because it requires a little bit of thought beyond 'they're all just wasters'? Well, excuse me.

As above making it harder won't stop it. In Sweden alcohol is strictly controlled, but they have severe problems with alcohol related violence and depression caused by alcohol. Basically because, surprise, when the Swedes do get it they go nuts............ How do I know? Because a friend of ours admitted (a Swede) she felt safer out in English towns at night when men are drunk than at home. This in a country with tight control on alcohol.........

Oh God, here we go........... The self made man, 'if I can do to it blah blah blah'. Well, here's a bit of info for you - not everyone can. Nor does everyone spend '15 years of their life feeling sorry for themselves'. A lot of people can and do make it for themselves, but that doesn't give you, or me come to that, the right to get sanctimonious about it.

Others don't get the breaks for whatever reason, and just have to get on with it. Try walking in their shoes before talking about things you obviously know nothing about.

Never said it did. If anyone hasn't a got a clue, its the man generalizing about a whole social phenomena, and suggesting that by just raising drink prices you will deal with it. :rolleyes:

Just because you've seen how the poor live in SA that means it's ok to spout about how people should deal with their problems in the Uk!! Well that makes sense. I have been to Africa (Zambia), and seen just how poor people are. That makes NO difference to how people in a developed nation feel about their lives. The comparison is spurious, no, foolish.

Good finish. You make arrogant statements about peoples social habits, then tell others they're 'blinkered' for daring to look deeper, and have 'outdated views' because they don't agee with your World view.

Anymore kindergarten insults you want to follow on with?

Things that are deep rooted are never that easily dealt with.