Answered Binding post problem.

gibbsy

Solutions
Reaction score
I have a Denon X6200 which, overall, I'm delighted with. However the right surround binding posts are proving problematic. I cannot get them to sustain a good connection by tightening with my fingers onto bare wire. Yet again this afternoon I've had to re-tighten them.

The question is would banana plugs resolve this or should I return it for a warranty repair. I've never used plugs before as I'm tight on rear space.

A good banana plug should remain secure once inserted. I'd still want to return the receiver under warranty for repair though.

I used to have that problem with my Yamaha but banana plugs worked a treat. I have plenty of open space at the back of my cab though.

A good banana plug should remain secure once inserted. I'd still want to return the receiver under warranty for repair though.
I've got 3 inches of space behind the posts and I have 14 guage wire. Should be enough room for standard plugs?

My wife has a theory. When first wiring up the 6200 I worked from outside in so by the time I tightened the front three my arthritic fingers were losing grip and I was giving myself less room to grip the posts, other wires getting in the way. Same happens now when I try to re-tighten, just can get a good grip with my fingers. As she helped me up from the floor she muttered old fart. Perhaps I should completely re-wire from inside out, or get plugs for the lot. Fisuals any good?

It was the Nakamichi ones I bought :smashin:

I've ordered 14 Fisual ones from Audio Visual. Managed to get a grip on the offending post, this time it was the negative, previously it was the possy. Worked perfectly all evening, about five hours viewing. Must be my fingers. Old age guys, old age.:(

@Marshall Mike I've got just over three inches to work with from the back of the posts. Do you think that is sufficient?

I've ordered 14 Fisual ones from Audio Visual. Managed to get a grip on the offending post, this time it was the negative, previously it was the possy. Worked perfectly all evening, about five hours viewing. Must be my fingers. Old age guys, old age.:(

@Marshall Mike I've got just over three inches to work with from the back of the posts. Do you think that is sufficient?

Yeah you will be fine, once the plug is inserted into the receiver around two inches of the body and terminal will be sticking out, leaving you an inch of room for the cable. Here's a couple of snaps of mine.

IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG

Have a look at the Sewell Deadbolt banana plugs, they're really quite compact and good for small spaces.

On the nakamichi plugs, if you ditch the grey outer and use some 8mm heat shrink you can get a snug fit, similar to an air lock, and pin length of 38mm

Similar idea to below

The-Listening-Post-Nordost-banana-plugs_N.jpg

I've got 3 inches of space behind the posts and I have 14 guage wire. Should be enough room for standard plugs?

My wife has a theory. When first wiring up the 6200 I worked from outside in so by the time I tightened the front three my arthritic fingers were losing grip and I was giving myself less room to grip the posts, other wires getting in the way. Same happens now when I try to re-tighten, just can get a good grip with my fingers. As she helped me up from the floor she muttered old fart. Perhaps I should completely re-wire from inside out, or get plugs for the lot. Fisuals any good?

3" should be fine, but if it isn't then you can get angled banana plugs that may help:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Spea...483092912&sr=8-1&keywords=angled+banana+plugs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Del...483092912&sr=8-3&keywords=angled+banana+plugs

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yeah you will be fine, once the plug is inserted into the receiver around two inches of the body and terminal will be sticking out, leaving you an inch of room for the cable. Here's a couple of snaps of mine.

View attachment 804695 View attachment 804696
Thanks for taking the time, put my wife's mind at rest that I will not to have to attack the back of the cabinet with a hacksaw.:smashin:

The plugs were delivered yesterday so I'll try to fit them over the next few days. At the moment I'm having problems from the arthritis but the good news is that if needed the wife has given permission to cut away the minimum required out of the back of the cabinet.

One of these may help tighten the connectors.
Hell's teeth Croc, should I really be looking at this after a very enjoyable afternoon down the pub?:)

Now the missus tells me she's got several of these in her sewing box.:smashin:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thank god that's a thimble, took me a second there :blush::D

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom