Binding post front or side hole?

Geppo

Hi I've just finished connecting my speakers inserting cables on the side holes of the binding posts (see photo).

As soon as I finished I've noticed in the user's manual a picture where the cables enter the binding posts via the front holes, where you would normally insert banana plugs. Would this be better?

Is my current connection incorrect? I never had speakers with separate HF and LF before.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210227_103756.jpg
    20210227_103756.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 18

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you are looking at some banana plugs, these will be suitable. In order to remove the bungs in-place, you may need to remove the links which stop you from screwing the binding posts to their inner most fixing point without cabling attached. This should enable you to remove the bung with much more ease (they can be tricky though). You will only need to remove one set from each speaker (one red and black (doesn't matter whether its from the HF or LF or one from each so long as it is a red and black one and not two reds or blacks) from each side as you are not bi-wiring (which isn't something you need to think about unless you are bi-amping). Remember to re-connect the links to their original place and then ensure the binding posts are nice and tight to get the best connection between the HF and LF connection.

As for why many use them, You do get a better connection from the banana plug (but everything is relative), some people solder the cable within the plug for s fantastic connection while many simple use the staggered twin screw system which lock the cable in place delivering a very good secure connection. This should be enough for most cases and is far easier to use than trying to squeeze the bear cable into the binding post hole. Hope that helps

password1

If you don't need to remove and reconnect the speaker cables all the time then banana plugs are not necessary.

Bare wire makes for a better more direct connection. It won't make any difference to the sound.

Geppo

I already have banana plugs on the amplifier end. On the speakers end I don't see the point.

My question was whether to insert the cable on the side hole of the binding post or on the front hole. I guess it's the same.

password1

What I've done with my surround speakers is strip about 2 inches of insulation and wrap the bare wire through the hole and coil it a few times tightly, then cut off the excess bare wire, that way if the caps come loose the cable wont fall out.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
My question was whether to insert the cable on the side hole of the binding post or on the front hole. I guess it's the same.
Into the holes if you can

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom