1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bilnd Optimism - Panny PW7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mafri1972, Jan 8, 2005.

1. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PW7 arrives on Tuesday, and I'm still deliberating about the connections to use. I'm getting the dual board for component, s-video and composite. The DVD player is a no-brainer - component out, routed (via amp) to the component in of the plasma.

I had planned to get a JS RGB-Component box for my Sky and use my amp to switch the component signals for both the DVD and Sky.

It's just occured to me that I could get a SCART-> s-video lead, and plug in the Sky straight to the plasma. Am I being too optimistic to hope that I could still use RGB from the Sky - would an RGB signal through an s-video DIN be accepted by the plasma?

Thanks for your help.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Your being to optimistic :) you'll need a RGB to S-Video converter for that to work. If you upgrade to Sky+ then that has S-Video out, or get a DVD-Recorder that can convert RGB to S-Video. But for best quality a dedicated converter is what you want: others can advise on the best makes/brands/sources for those. But your RGB to component solution is probably the better of the two!

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    get componet converter (very good results and one cable to panel from AMP ;) )

4. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response. It was a nice idea! So I'm left with the decision of:

getting an RGB-> Component box and switching through the amp or getting an RGB-> VGA box and plugging box directly into the plasma.

The component solution offers easy switching (although the amp has to be on), the VGA solution provides switching through the plasma (and, presumably pic-in-pic, etc.)

Is there anything to choose with quality between the two? Any problems living with either solution that I should know about before spending (even more!) money?

Thanks

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    need amp for SOUND so go component...... (for PIP etc can run a scart to composite lead from VCR scart on Sky to Composite input on Dual slot

6. mafri1972

mafri1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sneaky, I like your style! Thanks for all the help guys, excellent forum, I will hang around to help others once I know what I am doing! :laugh:

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    good man share the work load....PLEASE

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    It does quite tiring doesn't it? Same questions again and again. Loads of PMs/E-mails to work through before even getting to the forum! And (in the DVD Recorders forum at least) all one ever gets is abuse! All good fun though!

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    yep all in the name of helping poor souls get a good deal and good results........
    Especially tiring when they dont listen or want to do daft things!!! And wont read/search other threads.... :nono: :nono: :nono: or read there manuals...... :rtfm: :rtfm: :rtfm: