billybuzzer

billybuzzer

Standard Member
I have a ford focus, the cd unit is not mp3, do i need to replace the full unit or can i buy items to convert this unit to accept mp3's. Thanks for any info.

accyuklad

Banned
i think you defo after buy a mp3 cd player as they use different lasers to be able to play mp3 format cds

unless theres a cd changer that can play mp3 then that be easier

should say like MP3 Playback on the specs

also if it shows on front of your cd player it say mp3 if not then its not mp3 playable

Last edited:

gadgetbaby

Does the CD player/Radio have an aux in socket ? If so you could plug an MP3 player (iPod etc) directly into the CD player

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
I have a ford focus, the cd unit is not mp3, do i need to replace the full unit or can i buy items to convert this unit to accept mp3's. Thanks for any info.

What year is the car?

If it's a MKI Focus with the 6000CD player, you can buy and adaptor to plug into the CD changer socket on the headunit, that lets you plug in your MP3 player via a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

The Focus MP3 had a unique 6000CD player with MP3 capability, but you'll pay double and triple what an after-market unit fitted would cost - if you can find one. Same looking as the normal one, but matte silver-ish fascia.

If it's the MKII (2005 on), then you should either have an AUX 3.5mm socket, or be able to retro-fit one.

Failing this, you can whip out the stock stereo and fit the Ford Sony unit, which has MP3 capability. Beware though - the Sony units have two varieties from Ford. One plays only CD with a 6-CD changer, while the other has MP3 and no changer.

Ron240

Failing this, you can whip out the stock stereo and fit the Ford Sony unit, which has MP3 capability. Beware though - the Sony units have two varieties from Ford. One plays only CD with a 6-CD changer, while the other has MP3 and no changer.
Yep, i have the 6 disc version, and naturally assumed it to be mp3 compatible, because my friend has the single disc version and his is, but for some reason the higher model does not play mp3's. :confused:

Oh, to the original poster....you might have picked a more appropriate subject title for this thread. :)

Aerojon

may be more to do with the headunit software being able to read & decode the mp3 files...

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
when people release albums etc they burned as cda files not mp3

Of course, nobody is saying otherwise (as far as I can see). The owner rips the track and converts to MP3 most likely using the LAME encoder or similar, specifying a bit-rate and sample rate.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
Albums actually have wave files on them, they just appear as CDA on a PC as when you copy CDA's to a PC HDD and try to play them it looks for the CD!

Liam

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom