Billion 7800N DHCP and DNS question

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by mergwyn, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mergwyn

mergwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one these for a couple of months ago and have generally I been very pleased. (It is stable, though syncs at a slightly lower speed than my old DGN2000)

I do have a question that I have just not managed to work out:
    I use the DHCP server on the router and I was expecting the router would resolve DNS queries for the hosts that it has allocated via DHCP. This seems to work as expected for hosts with fixed ip addresses managed by the router, but anything in the DHCP server range just gets returned as host not found.
    Is this working as expected or have I done something wrong in the configuration??

I did also post this request in the ISP and the Internet forum by mistake!

Many thanks

2. bigyin

bigyin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey there, could you explain a bit more about your setup? Which hosts are you talking about? ISP? Windows server on local network?

3. mergwyn

mergwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the response. My ISP is O2. I am using the google name servers currently. I have a mixture of hosts on the local network, a combinations of windows, Linux (mostly Debian but a some Ubuntu), and windows clients. I also have a combination of wired and wireless.

I use fixed ip addresses for my main file and backup server, and for the main windows client. These ipadddress are allocated by the router using dhcp. All remaining machines use dhcp to get a variable address (192.168.11.70-140) from the router. Dhcp gives out the router address 192.168.11.254 as the dns server.

The router has a web page that shows the dhcp addresses allocated and I see the new machines name and address. I can ping the machines via ip address but not by name. The machines that have fixed ip addresses are able to be pinged by both name and ip address.

As I understand it the billion uses dnsmasq and this should be able to behave in the way I expect.

4. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    DHCP - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network configuration protocol for hosts on Internet Protocol (IP) networks. Computers that are connected to IP networks must be configured before they can communicate with other hosts. The most essential information needed is an IP address, and a default route and routing prefix. DHCP eliminates the manual task by a network administrator. It also provides a central database of devices that are connected to the network and eliminates duplicate resource assignments.

Essentially DHCP runs as a service that provides the basics to get connected. It is dynamic.

MAC addresses are completely unique. By tying the IP Address to the MAC address you have provided a unique path to that machine.

The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical distributed naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participating entities. Most importantly, it translates domain names meaningful to humans into the numerical identifiers associated with networking equipment for the purpose of locating and addressing these devices worldwide.

Private network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia