• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bill Roache arrested,charged,tried and aquitted

Sonic67

Banned
Of rape.

Roache arrested on suspicion of raping teenage girl
“An 81-year-old man from Wilmslow in Cheshire has this morning, Wednesday, 1st May 2013, been arrested by Lancashire Constabulary on suspicion of rape.

The man will be interviewed at a police station in Lancashire during the course of the day.

The offences are alleged to have been committed in Haslingden between April and July 1967 and to involve a girl aged 15-years.

– Lancashire Police

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Wasn't he on a while back saying "People deserved it if it happened to them, it happened for a reason"?

If so, not much of a defense is it?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Wasn't he on a while back saying "People deserved it if it happened to them, it happened for a reason"?

Yes.

Roache: “If you accept that you are pure love, and if you know that you are pure love and therefore live that pure love, these things won't happen to you.”

Interviewer: “To some people that sounds perhaps like you're saying victims bring things on themselves – is that what you're saying?”

Roache: “No, not quite, but and yet I am, because everything that happens to us has been a result of what we have been in previous lives or whatever.”

I wonder what you were in a previous life Bill?

He also says society should “forgive” convicted sex offenders:

“There's a fringe of people who, particularly pop singers, they have these groupies, these girls, who come, they're sexually active, sexually mature, they don't ask for their birth certificate, they don't know what age they may be. If someone has done something wrong, the law will take its course. But even so, all of them, whether they are proven guilty or not, we should not be judgmental about anybody, ever. We shouldn't go around condemning, unforgiving. We should all be totally forgiving about everything.”

mjn

Distinguished Member
Another one that will have to be written out of Corrie. That's three coronatioin St actors so far.

Kevin Webster and who else?

Vitalija

Prominent Member
46 years ago? How on earth can anyone prove that? I find it incredible that all these allegations are coming out of the woodwork. If they are that upset about it why wait over 4 decades to go to the police? Unless there's money to be made...

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
46 years ago? How on earth can anyone prove that? I find it incredible that all these allegations are coming out of the woodwork. If they are that upset about it why wait over 4 decades to go to the police? Unless there's money to be made...

I waited 30 years to tell anyone what my dad did to me between the ages of 11 & 13.

Would you genuinely like to know why?

Or do you just assume that because I didn't reveal it the day after it happened, that I must simply have been trying to make money somehow?

stevenM

Banned

What a nasty comment to make. Can you have any idea how these people feel unless it has happened to you. I seriously can't believe someone would write this

logiciel

The question remains though - "How on earth can anyone prove that?".
How can they, how do they?

Jacket

Established Member

It is cynical to think money is the motivating factor here however it can't be denied it does seem that way sometimes.

How exactly do you prove something like this, with all the media attention recently and the fact many immediately assume he is guilty without knowing any of the facts.

You have to wonder...

What a nasty comment to make. Can you have any idea how these people feel unless it has happened to you. I seriously can't believe someone would write this

I think his comment is a very fair one to make.

Last edited:

Duncan G

Prominent Member
The question remains though - "How on earth can anyone prove that?".
How can they, how do they?

With difficulty. It depends if any body was a witness at the time otherwise it may be up to a Court to decide the truth.

In light of Jimmy Savile and abused girls not being believed at the time when they complained to Police with no investigation taking place, now the Police are learning from those mistakes and tending to investigate complaints and making arrests and charges.

Duncan G

Prominent Member

For all we know complaints were made at the time but not believed and now the abused have taken heart from the Savile cases to finally come forward.

People who were abused can have complex psychological problems as a result or have developed a drug or alcohol problem in order to cope and they bury the memories of abuse in order to cope.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
It is cynical to think money is the motivating factor here however it can't be denied it does seem that way sometimes.

I agree, there's always a chance that it's financially motivated, but it's the other comments that he's made that lead me to believe he's guilty.

How exactly do you prove something like this, with all the media attention recently and the fact many immediately assume he is guilty without knowing any of the facts.

Very difficult, the prosecution may discover things that scream guilt, but whether they are allowed to use them in a court of law is another matter.

You have to wonder...

We can only wonder, but I can tell you having been abused and getting to know the ins and outs of an abuser's behaviour, I think he's 100% guilty (as I do Michael Le Vell & Stuart Hall).

I think his comment is a very fair one to make.

It's far from a fair comment to make.

Read it again:

If they are that upset about it why wait over 4 decades to go to the police? Unless there's money to be made...

That implies that anyone that waits a period of time to reveal they have been sexually abused/raped etc, must be in it for money.

It couldn't possibly be that they have carried it with them for that 40 years and eventually found the courage to tell someone what a pervert had done to them when they were a child?

Thinking about it every single day of their lives, sometimes letting it take over their lives with the shame/fear/embarrassment that you are left with after an abuser convinces you that it was all your fault (in fact, that everything is your fault).

Also watching the person that did it to them carry on convincing everyone around him that they are a damned nice guy and living punishment free?

No, it must be financially motivated. :rolleyes:

bumpymark2

Established Member
For all we know complaints were made at the time but not believed and now the abused have taken heart from the Savile cases to finally come forward.

People who were abused can have complex psychological problems as a result or have developed a drug or alcohol problem in order to cope and they bury the memories of abuse in order to cope.

this is exactly how it is,my sister was abused from a very early age and bottled it up for years until recently and had the courage to tell the police what had happened to her. however despite the abuser been sentenced to a long prison sentence,she has become an alcoholic to try and blot the past,she is all but destroyed and for people to say these claims arise out of a financial need are so far off the mark! i saw how my sister was tortured by what had happened to her and when she was asked why she didnt say anything she replied because no-one would believe her,in fact the abuser threatened that if she told anyone she would go to prison-imagine been told that as a young child? and thanks to the jimmy saville case a lot more people will come forward now knowing that someone will listen to them and appropiate action is taken and rightly so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacket

Established Member
I think he's 100% guilty.

Why? The comments he made? I've heard similar things from several people are they all child molesters? What insight into this man do you have that makes you 100% positive?

There could be many reasons why someone doesn't come forwards,I know as much as you do and that is nothing, we don't know the situation or even the individual involved.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Why? The comments he made? I've heard similar things from several people are they all child molesters? What insight into this man do you have that makes you 100% positive?

There could be many reasons why someone doesn't come forwards,I know as much as you do and that is nothing, we don't know the situation or even the individual involved.

Because I consider myself well versed when it comes to the behaviour of child molesters, having been sexually abused by my dad 30 years ago.

I have lived with his lies, pretence and ability to turn the spotlight on everyone else in any and every given situation (literally NEVER acknowledging blame or responsibility for ANYTHING).

Call it a 'gaydar' for abusers if you like, but only when you've lived with one can you see things that allow you to make an informed decision.

Marvin the Android

Prominent Member
Because I consider myself well versed when it comes to the behaviour of child molesters, having been sexually abused by my dad 30 years ago.

I have lived with his lies, pretence and ability to turn the spotlight on everyone else in any and every given situation (literally NEVER acknowledging blame or responsibility for ANYTHING).

Call it a 'gaydar' for abusers if you like, but only when you've lived with one can you see things that allow you to make an informed decision.

But you are not making an informed decision. You are making a decision based on supposition, drawing assumed parallels with your experiences and limited media information. This is not informed.

I understand what you consider yourself to be but, whilst I sympathise and concede that it does given you a unique insight that I will hopefully never have, it does not turn you into the child molester equivalent of the Witchfinder general. Then again perhaps it does.

Please correct me if I am wrong but didn't you make a similar statement of guilt against a certain peer of the realm? I am not sure how accurate your gaydar was at that time as I am not sure about it now.

Just some friendly advice but when you make statements that people have admitted guilt you would be wise to be able to back up those statements rather than rely on memory which in all fairness is quite fallible in the best of people.

Please always remember when you throw accusations around for whatever personal reasons that these are other peoples lives. Mud sticks. Ask ex-Blue Peter presenters, pool party hosts, lords of the realm and stars of Sooty what they think about that.

Cheers,

Tony.

Jacket

Established Member

You may consider yourself well versed that doesn't mean you are, the answer to my question was that you have no insight into this man, therefore you are making your decision purely on what you have read and your own personal experience which bares no weight with this situation.

I for one am glad that we don't condemn people in this country based on peoples feelings or their 'gaydar' for abusers, which I think is the most stupid thing I have ever read.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom