Bill Double Estimate

kevykat

Distinguished Member
Any legal buffs here?
I'm in Scotland for reference.

We had a burst water main outside our flat. Building is shared majority owner with council tenants also in the building.

Council estimated the works of £2200+ VAT which initially the job was to dig up a concrete footpath, dig hole, fix pipe and re-tar.

Turned out the leak was actually coming from under the grass so a neighbour and I started digging. Got to depth of 7ft to around where the pipe was.

The council then gave us a new estimate of £1100+ VAT for the work under the grass but said the bill would be less due to the work we did digging.

6 months later we get a bill for £2200+ VAT. I contacted the billing department to tell them that was the initial estimated price for digging up and replacing a foot path and filled them in with the other info above. Bill was put on hold for investigation, this was in March.

This week my other neighbour got a demand to pay the bill so looks like they only put my bill on hold.

Another neighbour spoke to the guy we dealt with at the time from the council and he said there was "extra digging" involved and that bumped the price up.

The job was just to dig and fix pipe so no actual change to the work involved, and we did a days digging ourselves.
So the bill is 100% more than the estimate for a job that the parameters have not actually changed one bit. Dig hole, fix pipe. Job done.

Anyone assist with this. I will probably call Citizens Advice once we get another letter from the council but just wondering if anyone has any information that would be handy.

Pic attached with circled area that we dug. We took it down to footpath level

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-115039_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-115039_Facebook.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

brunation

We had a burst water main outside our flat.
Just to be clear: it's not Scottish Water's responsability as inside your property boundary?
The council then gave us a new estimate of £1100+ VAT for the work under the grass but said the bill would be less due to the work we did digging.
Got that in writing?

kevykat

Distinguished Member
Just to be clear: it's not Scottish Water's responsability as inside your property boundary?

Got that in writing?

Scottish Water said its in our boundary so liable for the cost along with council.

Here is the initial estimate then revised estimate. Myself and neighbour were present at the time the council manager said the revised estimate would be less due to the work we carried out. Even if they didn't take into account the work we carried out the bill we did eventually receive was double the revised estimate which is surely outrageous when the scope of the work did not change.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-124849_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-124849_Gmail.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20210516-124927_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-124927_Chrome.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 47

IronGiant

The bill was £220, it dropped to £110 but is now back at £220 per flat? It looks like there was a clerical error and they've reverted to the original quote. It's certainly worth querying, but not sure it's worth fighting.

kevykat

Distinguished Member
Sorry but both letters state the figure is a estimated value!
Yes. Perfectly aware of that. As explained the original higher estimate was for digging up a pavement and replacing it, which was not the case. The lesser estimate was because it was under a section of grass which we dug up to expose, less work for the contractor and no machineryhire involved.
What I'm saying is the bill is100% more than the estimate and the job parameters never changed or deviated. I could understand and accept if the bill was a couple of hundred more than the estimate, but not 100% more when no additional work took place.

pastrybloke19

In these sorts of cases, it could help to ask for a full breakdown of the costs; which is both a reasonable request and pretty sure you are legally entitled too.

does seems that someone has just run with the 1st estimate/quote.

kevykat

Distinguished Member
In these sorts of cases, it could help to ask for a full breakdown of the costs; which is both a reasonable request and pretty sure you are legally entitled too.

does seems that someone has just run with the 1st estimate/quote.

That's what i thought until a neighbour was called by the contracts manager and was told the price increase was for "Extra Digging". The fact we spent a day digging meant they had less digging.🤔
We are waiting for another letter to be sent out apparently, this is not the first time they have tried over charging us and effectively making the owners pick up the 4 council tenants bill.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom