1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Bilingua-phobia"

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Buck Swope, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While i'm not as bad as I used to be I still hate bilingual dvd covers. Now I have a DVD Soon icard the unbelivebly low prices means i'll be mostly buying R1 dvds from now on. The problem is DVD Soon don't clearly show which dvds do or don't have bilingual covers. Sometimes they'll show two versions of a title, normal or V.F. But some titles have only one version. I'll order it, it'll arrive, open it up, BILINGUAL :mad: .

Just now I was about to pre-order Sideways but noticed at the bottom of the page - "Type of packaging: Keep Case (Bilingual)". I check if my previous bilingual orders were described as such and not one of them was.

Now considering Sideways works out at £8.39 :eek: and is out a month earlier then R2, i'll probably order it anyways but is there any definite way of knowing what the covers will be like from DVD Soon? (the pictures they use on the site dont always reflect the actual cover you'll recieve)

2. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    I've got loads of the bi-lingual covers now, Le Predateur 2 being the latest example, don't really bother me though as it has it in English as well, And of course I don't buy dvd's for the covers. At least they don't do it with boxsets.

3. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said it doesn't bother me as much as it used to but given the choice i'd rather just english on the cover. Of course we all buy dvds for the film not the packaging but as a collector I like having the best version possible. The best transfer, best features and best packaging.

4. Strangerer

Strangerer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of the R3 stuff I have has Chinese on the cover and I think it looks smart.

5. fluffrick

fluffrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's geeky, and it's stupid, but I love having bilingual DVD artwork. I mean, is it cooler to watch a flick in dull old widescreen or in 'version panoramique'?

Ok, just me then...

6. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love my R3 dvds and don't mind dvds with foreign text, it's the bilingual one I don't like. I wouldn't for one second hessitate buying a French dvd as it's not the language that bothers me, it's the fact they look so cheap, to me anyway. I see a bilingual cover and I know that it's the cheapest version availiable. I mean couldn't they just print the cover on both sides, one English, one French?

Everyone on this site cares about presentation. And if every version of one particular dvd were the same price in every region, you'd all buy the one most attractive to you. Am I wrong? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I mean the three main reasons I avoid pirated dvds - poor picture/sound quality, the fact I find it moraly wrong, the god awfull packaging. I know i'm not alone, every few months these types of theads pop up, there's another one around at this precise moment.

Anyway i'm getting slightly off topic.

Can anyone who perchaced any of the following dvds from DVD Soon clarify if they're bilingual or not:

Shrek 2
    The Day After Tomorrow
    Bruce Almighty
    Top Gun : Collector's Edition
    Schindler's List : Collector's Edition
    Shark Tale
    I, Robot
    :lease:

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    while not a 100% flawless way of checking, you can take the UPC from the dvdsoon website and put it into dvdprofiler and it'll bring up all the versions of the dvd with that UPC. If there are multiples with the same UPC, select the Canada one and select Preview and it'll show you the artwork. Compare this with the American one and you should be able to tell.

For instance, Shrek 2 Canada has a non bilingual front, but the rear has twice as many lines of writing on it than the American one, which means it's likely to be bilingual. Shark Tale has a bit of yellow writing under the main title saying "gang de requins". If you subscribe to dvdprofiler you will actually be able to see more cleary as the images are higher quality.

8. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chears Marc i'll give it a go

9. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I don't like the bi-lingual covers as like has been said before they don't look as quality (although with 400+ :rolleyes: titles they are hard to notice) as the single language covers.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow(Capitaine Sky et le Monde de demain), Highwaymen(Pourchassé)and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back(Jat et Bob Contre-Attaquent) are prime examples, although JaSBSB is reversible with one side having an English cover with a bi spine and rear cover. And the opposite side having a french cover and a bi spine and rear cover.

10. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    As it stands, the types of covers that are available from major studios are:
    1) 2 distinct products, one with an English cover and one with a French cover. In this case, we mark the french cover version with a (v.f) suffix. All other methods have no (v.f) suffix as there is only one product.

2) 1 product with a reversible bilingual cover (one side predominently French and one side predominently English, but both sides bilingual)

3) 1 product with a non reversible bilingual cover (predominently English but bilingual)

4) 1 product with a reversible cover (one side completely French and one side completely English expect for a small tag stating that the reverse cover is in French)

Columbia, Warner, Seville, Fox and Disney use method 1
    Universal use method 2
    Paramount use method 3
    Fox use option 4

:D

11. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The most ridiculous bilingual cover I have is the K-Pax collector's edition. It has K-Pax written on the spine twice - once for English and once for French!! And it has a reversible cover with identical layout on both sides! :rolleyes: :oops: :lease: