Bike nearly stolen!!!

Briggman24

Standard Member
Hi all!

Dont know how many cyclists are in this forum but i just though i'd throw the question out there for you anyway!:D

Ive been using the Oxford Cable lock for my bike for a few years now and thankfully never really had a problem at all. But yesterday i'd stopped off on my way home and tied it up in Cannock city centre - was probably gone for maybe ten mins or so, not long at all. cam back to find someones nearly hacked off the lock as it was bent and twisted but luckily seemed ok. Bit shaken up after that and will im gonna have to get something a lot more sturdier..

Know this is a problem for a lot of us, so any recommendations?

thanks

jassco

Distinguished Member
welcome to the forum :smashin:

I do quite a bit of cycling, but I'd never leave my bike anywhere after I had one stolen when I was a lot younger, so I'm not much use to you. I can certainly feel your pain though!

Out of interest, what sort of bike is it?

Se777eN

Distinguished Member
My girl friends dad had a £3.5k custom made time trail bike stolen from his shed its his on fault for having it in there on show threw a clear window!!

He got is money back but not the same bike.

Citizen J

Novice Member
Hi there and welcome to the forums.

Sorry I do not have anything to add in regards to your dilemma but perhaps a mod could move this to General Chat if deemed appropriate.

You may get more responses there :smashin:

brumhee

Distinguished Member
You're going to have to look at a U-lock.
Something from the Kryptonite range.

Kryptonite Locks

PS, how did this get into sport forum?:smashin:
The only time I have had a bike stolen was off the train. I get the big ones with a separate carriage for bikes and watched some scrot make off with my bike just after the doors locked! Luckily the police caught him but the CPS let him off as he said it was an accident!

I would recommend the Kryptonite locks as well very good and solid.

John

hmmmmmm.
my spidey-sense is tingling . although most spammers don't go to the trouble of an avatar

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
agreed :D

I used to have a lock which claimed it would guarantee me a replacement bike if anyone managed to break it and I could provide the broken lock + keys + police report. Might have been kryptonite, not sure.

doesn't stop them stealing the handle bars though, which happend to me once :mad:

PoochJD

Hi,

An old trick that some thieves have used, is to poor superglue into the bicycle lock, and then when they start hacking away at said lock, if they are caught by the police, they just claim that someone has wrecked their bike look, and they are having to break it, so they can ride home. Some police and PCSO's have been known to fall for this, as the lie seems credible, especially in a busy town centre (and with the thief donning cycling gear of sorts, so he/she blends in).

Ultimately, and I apologise if this sounds blindingly obvious, but if you value your bike, get the best, biggest, meatiest, lock you can afford, and try to lock it somewhere where it can be seen publically in a busy area, where a potential thief is less likely to be able to "go to work" on your precious ride. :) Think of locking your bike somewhere, as if from the point of view of a crook, and if it looks like it'll make their life hard, then you've probably chosen a good place to lock it safely, knowing that it should still be there upon your return.

Pooch

m4rky_m4rk

I had my bike nicked from my garage while I was working around the back. I had left the Kryptonite lock dangling on the handlebars :suicide:

The police found it more than a year later at the local fence house. The bike still had my speedometer on it and still had the miles I had done last. It hadn't been used in all that time.

So, its worth noting serial numbers, distinguishing features, photo etc. I never did hear if my bike was used as evidence or not.

After I got the bike back I told the insurance it was recovered. They were quite good really and only wanted a token ammount back. So it was all smiles in the end :)

Last edited:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Might as well ask in here rather than new thread but I am after a couple locks and dont really have the cash to splash out on a couple of these but was wondering about a couple of others.

Bike wont be alone for more than 2-3 hours and will be in a public place.

Buy Combination Coil Lock. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Was gonna get a couple of these, one for back wheel + frame and one for front wheel and frame to attatch to post's etc.

I know they are cheap but they seem ok

Weggie

Might as well ask in here rather than new thread but I am after a couple locks and dont really have the cash to splash out on a couple of these but was wondering about a couple of others.

Was gonna get a couple of these, one for back wheel + frame and one for front wheel and frame to attatch to post's etc.

I am not a cyclist (looking to sell my bike) but I have read that combination locks are easy to crack due to the flex. No idea if the one you linked too is affected by this. If you are interested, I have an Oxford 1.8m steel coil lock with bracket for sale. If you are interested I will create a thread in the Classifieds.

How to crack a combination bike lock in under 30 seconds | Video « Wonder How To

Last edited:

MontyPS3

Novice Member

That can be broken in less than a minute. Doesn't matter how many you've got either!

I've so far had 3 bikes stolen - One chained up outside my uni! one at the train station and the third in my garage.
I now don't bother locking up my current bike which costs £1.3k. If I can't take it into somewhere, then I don't bother going into that place. It was customized off an old frame so even if I insured it, the payout wouldn't get me the exact same spec!

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I am not a cyclist (looking to sell my bike) but I have read that combination locks are easy to crack due to the flex. No idea if the one you linked too is affected by this. If you are interested, I have an Oxford 1.8m steel coil lock with bracket for sale. If you are interested I will create a thread in the Classifieds.

How to crack a combination bike lock in under 30 seconds | Video « Wonder How To
I appreciate the offer but would prefer to get a new one with a warranty incase I have any problems.

Taking bike in for a service next week and was looking at halfords site at these 2 items.

Halfords | BikeHut 180cm Extender Cable

Halfords | BikeHut Bike Padlock

Or this complete package
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...01_catalogId_10151_productId_701633_langId_-1

PoochJD

Hi,

FWIW, the "Extender Cable" is worthless. Easily cut-through with a semi-decent set of cutting tools, such as a small bolt-cutter, small but heavy-duty hacksaw, etc. :(

Pooch

TheForge

Novice Member
To be extra safe your better off using two small DLocks, the trick is to ensure there is not enough room to place a scissor jack or bottle jack inside the D to pop the lock.

Two locks also means that they cant simply pop the first lock making lots of noise and run off with the bike, they have to stick around which is not something thieves like to do.

The Forge

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom