1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bigggg Pioneer Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by danny-p, Mar 4, 2004.

1. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of upgrading my panny plasma for a good 50"er.
    Whilst in southampton i stumbled across a pioneer store where they had an awesome 50"er with a black shiny bezel.
    Can anyone identify this screen from my feeble discription?
    And last but not least is this screen better than my 42" panny 4 series which apart from size love to bits.
    Thanks
    Danny-p

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Probs the Pioneer PDP-504HDE - shiny gloss black frame with silver edges...

JJ

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thats it!
    Whats this screen like then?
    I thought it looked good showing find Nemo (or what ever its called).
    Cheers Danny

4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Well rated screen...time for you to have a search me thinks :)

JJ

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Plenty of threads on here re this screen. It is superb. As with all plasmas it has pros and cons. Only real downside (and not much of one at that) is the black level falls short of what the Panny's offer but it (IMO) more than makes up for it in dark detail, general crispness, colour, etc.

I doubt you'll be disappointed but suggest you take a look at the Panasonic and Fujitsu 50" models as well to be sure.

6. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    *searching as we speak*

Cheers Again

Danny-p

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi,

You could also consider the new NEC 50XM3/S which is £500 cheaper than the Pioneer. Also, the new Pioneer 504MXE is out next month and should be around the price of the NEC.

Steve

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  9. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link btw but i dont have the money yet i was just interested and impressed by the 50" pioneer when in southampton last weekend.
    The PDP-504HDE looks awesome with the black shiny bezel are the new pioneers coming out soon available in this design or is the PDP-504HDE a one off?
    And one more question quickly HDE or MXE whats the difference?
    Cheers
    Danny

10. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're looking around for the 504, we bought ours from www.hifistore.co.uk. A d**n good price and nice people as well. Can't say fairer than that.

And the verdict?

gorgeous picture....is it the absolute best?...dunno, don't care....it does the job for us, especially with the HDMI link from the DVD. broadcast ranges from OK to "Sky yucky"

sound.....can't comment no speakers

niggle.......slow switching between inputs

gripe/rant....those stupid side masks when in 4:3 mode. they're either

(a) light grey (fixed mode) which looks bl**dy awful against the shiny black surround

or

(b) a greyscale copy of the left & right 6" (or so) of the main screen (auto mode). Yes the greyscale picture tracks the colour, so it looks like you're watching a colour TV superimposed on a larger black & white TV. You've got to see this to believe it, it's got to be a bug....even the Pioneer Product Marketing chap at the Bristol show was taken aback by this when I showed it to him

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    HDE = awful, dated analogue tuner, poxy limited inputs, VERY limited HDCP compliant dvi input which elimininates component and one of your RGB scarts. MXE = conventional looking screen with no tuner, buy your own digital one like sky+ or freeview, decent array of inputs but best with an AV amp to switch at least some, crisp perfect DVI but no HDCP, so no hdmi dvd players, but brilliant with PC. The glass is the same. MXE models are cheaper, and really the difference is the media box. If you have no sky or freeview, you might find it adequate.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Let's be fair and honest here MAW. It DOES NOT eliminate the component/RGB SCART. Just means you have to switch this within the menu structure. And if you have a pronto you can have this totally automated which is no real hardship. If you want my PCF which has a single button for HDMI or Component then I'll be happy to share.

Not wishing to be picky but for a dealer I would have expected a slightly more honest answer :)

13. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for being so detailed/honest..
    Basically i wont need a tuner as my panny 42" doesnt have one and i just feed sky+ and games consoles into it via s-video which on the panny i'm more than happy about picture wise.
    Dvd gets fed via component for progressive scan playback and pc by vga.
    But after the following comments i'm still non the wiser as to choose HDE OR MXE?:confused:
    And HDMI? Is this better than Progressive scan as i thought this updated the whole screen image in one frame instead of horizontal then vertical (interlaced) or is it to do with conversions etc?
    My Arcam DV-27 is pal/NTSC progressive but not HDMI:confused:

Thanks again

Danny-p

14. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I saw the same screen a few weeks ago. I have to say it looked excellent, the bezel makes it look even bigger. Can't remember what was playing on it, but IMHO it blew away my current panny.

If I had the money available I would have purchased it there and then.

However, I would more likely go for a projector setup and keep the plasma for normal telly viewing.

When I bought my panny it was a really hard decision, specs aside, in the real world there wasn't that much difference with pioneer that was available at the same time as the 5 series panny was available, both were/are excellent screens.

If you are not planning on buying now, then I would suggest leave it as newer improved models seem to appear every six months from all the various makes and only start comapring models nearer the time of purchase.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Messiah, I am the manically depressed robot. I point out the worst features in any screen as a matter of course. Expect the worst, then you may be pleasantly surprised. I do happen to think the HDE's are seriously over rated, they are just a small incremental improvement over previous model, no quantum leap. The digital connection has little or nothing to do with image quality in this case, or they would have allowed native resolution. It's simply Hollywood trying in vain to keep it's copyright safe.

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    MAW, Know what you mean which is why I have not bought an 868 to go with my 504. Just wanted to ensure a potential user was not confused re the HDMI/component/RGB SCART thing.

One thing I will add to any potential purchasers and current owners of the 504. Be very very careful with static images from the likes of games consoles and digital channels. I play Xbox quite a bit on mine but am careful to take all the usual precautions. However, after watching Jennifer Lopez for 2 hours the other night (Enough - enjoyable and worth renting :) ) I looked at the screen close up when removing the DVD and noticed the HUD from Rainbow Six 3 was still visible in the lower left corner of the screen :(

Left standard BBC1 playing for a further couple of hours and it is still there. Maybe it will diminish over time but I am thinking after 6 weeks of ownership the screen has already been burnt despite taking all the usual precautions. BEWARE.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't worry mate, I have a well told tale about a 503MXE, give it a few weeks and leave Lopez alone, it'll be fine

18. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks. I certainly hope so. Leaving Lopez alone may be difficult though :D

BTW. Do you use a colour Pronto? If so hapy to send my device PCF with the simple HDMI/component switch macro.

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Marantz RC5400 currently. B+W, I've never sold a colour one, I'd rather spend the budget on other kit.

20. emad

emad
    Banned for trading fraud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed MAW and that's why I am getting A Marantz RC5400 programmed - by you ofcourse ;) and after you install my 504 toy

I just hope it is possible to program the remote as Messiah says to switch between input 1 component/HDMI /RGB. I do not have an HDMI DVD for now, but I am keeping my options open, as I am definetly upgrading my DVD soon.

As for screen burn - Messiah, you are scaring me :rolleyes: I am now thinking of not connecting my XboX to my 504 and just leave it connected to my old trusted Sony CRT. Although that will mean missing on the enjoyment of playing a 50" Project Gotham II :mad:

Cheers all

Emad

21. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Emad, I will go through this with you, it'll be fine if you are sensible

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Happy to turn the 504 device panel into b&w and send if anyone wishes. Has been perfected with correct delays and works perfectly every time.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'll bear the offer in mind, thanks. Emad has no hdmi devices yet, but it's a possibility.