Biggest wow moment in gaming

janglos199

Novice Member
There were many for me. Here's some:
CGI movies in an old ps1 game Parasite Eve 2. They were so amazing I kept playing it just to see more of them.

Whole Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 storyline. The music, the cutscenes, everything was so amazing, I keep replaying the game every now and then.

"Tenno, on your six" moment in Warframe if you know what I mean.

Weapon customization in Escape from Tarkov. Most of the time instead of playing the actual game, I was building weapons.

When I was only starting playing Dead by Daylight in 2020, I liked how cinematic the gameplay felt for both sides.

Mass Effect series and it's characters. Especially Tali and Garrus.

Playing my favorite songs in Beat Saber felt really great.

ruzuyu

Novice Member
When I first tried out No Man's Sky, being able to land and explore distant planets so easily really blew my mind. Though it becomes tedious eventually, I loved the sense of exploration. Now waiting for Star Citizen...

AndyBike

Standard Member
Biggest WOW moment - Has to be mouse look, or 3D look or whatever it was initially called.
To go from 2D to 3D (Yes,I'm that old) was simply mindblowing.

Reglip

Loved repton on the BBC just being able to boot up games when I wanted

Then sonic on the mastersystem I loved

Unreal tournament at college

Then I had a pc and discovered half life 2 episode 2 was released and I hadn't played any of them and was able to play hl2 and then episode 1 and 2 back to back. Also soldier of fortune I must have spent 1000+ hours playing

Most recently I bought an oculus rift on release. That was pretty mind blowing. I've fallen out of love with vr now but at some point I'll jump back in. Feel like Facebook ruined things by insisting on going portable. Got a ps5 now rather than upgrading pc

WozzaB

Batman, Shadow of the beast or turrican 2 on the amiga. Going back a long time but great visuals.
Just seen this thread! When I got Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga it was the first time that a game made me go WOW at the graphics!! It wasn't the best of games though😅

gazzaboy

Just seen this thread! When I got Shadow of the Beast on the Amiga it was the first time that a game made me go WOW at the graphics!! It wasn't the best of games though😅
Parallax scrolling. One of the amiga's I usps...

Xenomorph

Unreal tournament at college

You had UT? Lol! This is what I was playing at college

nethack.jpg

Beezerk

First time I ever heard speech in a computer game, Nodes Of Yesod on the Spectrum 48k, must have been mid 80s. Proper wow moment.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
First time I ever heard speech in a computer game, Nodes Of Yesod on the Spectrum 48k, must have been mid 80s. Proper wow moment.
Didn't Ghostbusters also have "Speech"?

Captain Ron

Distinguished Member
Kennedy Approach on Atari 800 did that for me. Around the same time I think. (checks google). Yep. 1985. Clever sample sequencing meant that the limited system was able to deliver really good vocal air traffic control instructions when you issued them. I was impressed.

MarkNorton1

There was a helicopter game, apache something maybe that used some kind of vector type graphics from memory, can’t recall if it was Atari st or pc I’m afraid, that was pretty incredible at the time, be interesting to see how it screenshots look now if I can find it.

Otherwise I remember picking up half-life 1 around the time of launch and not being able to put it down.

In more recent gaming history, the twist in Bioshock, just amazing!

Edit - looks like it was called Comanche attack helicopter or at least it looks something similar to what I remember!

Last edited:

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
It did on the Commodore 64, I think the first 8-bit game I heard speech on was Impossible Mission :

IT also did on the Speccy. It wasn't great, but it was something you showed off to your parents

MarkNorton1

I remember playing A Bards Tale on my atari, there was a moment which I could only do by accident where you entered a tavern and some music/speech would cut in, I was amazed and had to show my parents!

Anyone ever enjoy Defenders of the crown, using a catapult to destroy a castle wall and take over land across England? And also getting mildly aroused at the silhouette of a naked lady in a cutscene!! No, just me then I expect!

Goooner

Distinguished Member
I remember playing A Bards Tale on my atari, there was a moment which I could only do by accident where you entered a tavern and some music/speech would cut in, I was amazed and had to show my parents!

Anyone ever enjoy Defenders of the crown, using a catapult to destroy a castle wall and take over land across England? And also getting mildly aroused at the silhouette of a naked lady in a cutscene!! No, just me then I expect!
I remember Defenders of the Crown, used to love that, don't remember the naked silhouette though :rotfl:

MarkNorton1

I remember Defenders of the Crown, used to love that, don't remember the naked silhouette though :rotfl:
Cracking game wasnt it! Don't make them like that anymore!!

Saying that, with all the tech these days being touch screen I can't help but feel like Lionheads Black and White game is begging for a re-release!

MarkNorton1

Simple concept, simple graphics but kept me entertained for hours and hours.

Anyone remember Midwinter (and Midwinter 2)? Used to love both of them.
Had a demo for Midwinter from a magazine but from memory it didn’t allow to do much, design a characters face maybe?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp