Biggest screen from 7feet away

Squibbster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m in the early stages of planning to convert the garage into a cinema games room. I’d rather the tv on the shorter disntace wall as then I have more room for a comfier corner sofa.

Does anyone have any photos or is using a screen That is 65 inches or bigger. I like the idea of a 75 but this early stages it’s hard to imagine.

Thanks

Why not make a 'mask" using either drawing on the wall assuming it's going to be changed in covering anyway) or using some backing paper, marked and taped to the dimensions?

If ALL your viewing is UHD either will be fine. But if any 1080p HD material --- you're likely to spot the dots and get annoyed with the artefacts.
IMHO.

The mark it out on the wall is a good idea; but also try sitting nearer to a smaller screen to match the equivalent 'field of view' you would have.

If ALL your viewing is UHD either will be fine. But if any 1080p HD material --- you're likely to spot the dots and get annoyed with the artefacts.
IMHO.

The mark it out on the wall is a good idea; but also try sitting nearer to a smaller screen to match the equivalent 'field of view' you would have.

this is the part I have the biggest problem with as I have no idea what’s going to work. It’s not just gonna be uhd will also be football and a lot of standard sky he stuff.

do I justget the 65inch oled. I see lots of formulas and stuff for working it out but then I see photos of people with massive screens and projectors, there no where near the reccomended distances.

Why not make a 'mask" using either drawing on the wall assuming it's going to be changed in covering anyway) or using some backing paper, marked and taped to the dimensions?

I don’t personally have a problem and like the huge screen. It’s all the jargon around quality and stuff that puts me off.
I also looked at projectors but got put off due to them appearing to be not as good. I don’t even no where you go to see projectors running.

Back in pre lockdown times my advice would have been to get a demo set up/organised with Richer Sounds and/or John Lewis (and similar places).

Sit at the distance you intend and get them to play UHD BluRays, HD BluRays etc.,. of the programmes/films/sports you know and have seen before.

THEN you can compare / evaluate and make a much more informed decision.

Not the right time to be buying just now in my view.

But you may be able to guesstimate by sitting 4 feet from, say, a 50 inch screen and watching that how it may look at 7 foot from a 65 inch?

I don’t personally have a problem and like the huge screen. It’s all the jargon around quality and stuff that puts me off.
I also looked at projectors but got put off due to them appearing to be not as good. I don’t even no where you go to see projectors running.
I would say that the angle is more important. You don't want to be moving your head and screen should be easy enough at 65" from 7 feet. The whole visible pixel structure thing is a load of bollox at that distance unless you have eyes like an eagle. What's your visual acuity like? Or others that may be viewing? You will all be different.
Mask it up, try and sit where you anticipate you may be sitting and see how it goes.
It's going to be a UHD screen either way, all you need to do is look at what is best for your viewing needs within your budget. Size is only constricted by physical location.

I sit slightly less than 8ft away from a good Sony 65" LCD.

4K looks great, more of a benefit of the HDR over the resolution.
1080p Blurays and streams look great.
720p is still decent, even some low bitrate stuff I have. Perfectly watchable
SD... meh. Some is better than others but I'll avoid if possible.

I'm not sure, bigger always sounds better but anything above a 75"/77" may have too wide a field of view.

I'd also rather have a good 65" TV than an average 75" if budget comes into it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom