1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest & best LCD for £1000

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by coolasacucumber, Nov 23, 2004.

1. coolasacucumber

coolasacucumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is the price I am working towards, I may go slightly higher if needs be.

Needs to be as big as possible, as good a quality as possible, hopfully that new fangled dvid thingy input, and some way I can connect my pc to it aswell.

please let me know whats available.

It will be running with a dvid compatible dvd player, denon avr 1905, and some decent surround speakers when I fins some.

Cheers muchly!

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sharp do the 32GA3E and GAE4E that can be sourced for £1242 + delivery (Stocks are running out fast), these seem to be a favourite at the moment.

Tosh are doing 32LW48 (I think that's the model number) for something similar.

And then there is the Sharp 26" (26GA3E/GA4E) which can be got for £917 at best.

All of these have DVI as far as I'm aware.

3. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How about the Hitachi 28LD5200E?

28" screen size (equivalent to a 30" CRT - if such a thing existed!), got mine for £1003 when I got John Lewis to pricematch an Internet price.

It has 2 component inputs, S-Video, RGB SCART, Analogue RGB (15-pin D-Sub) and also DVI.

It will take interlaced and progressive PAL and NTSC, 720p and 1080i through the component, RGB and DVI inputs, not to mention a whole host of other PC resolutions...

There was a massive thread on here not so long ago, where I posted a lot of my findings after buying one. Had it about about 6 weeks and still enjoying it!

4. coolasacucumber

coolasacucumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that sounds cool, which john lewis was that as i understood that they didnt match net quotes?

also, do you have any pics of it? thanks.

also thanks to rich, but i want to keep it as close as poss to £1k

5. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was posted on a thread a couple of weeks ago........

http://www.etec-solutions.co.uk/store/prodView.asp?idProduct=1802&idCategory=573

Neovia seems to be a French company http://www.neovia.biz/

The PDF is generic for the 26" and 32" sets.

Resolution (pixels) h x v WXGA 1280x768
    Contrast Ratio 500:1
    Brightness (cd/m2)) 450cd/m²
    Viewing Angle (Hor:/Vert.) 176°/176
    Connection PC/D-Sub yes
    Entry Audio PC yes
    Connection DVI (Digital Virtual Interface) -
    Connector SCART 2 (Full/Half)
    Entry S-Video yes
    Entry Antenna yes
    Entry Audio yes
    Exit A/V (RCA) -
    Exit PC Audio yes
    Exit for Headphones yes

Even includes a wall mount, cant find a review yet but for the money it seems a good buy.

6. coolasacucumber

coolasacucumber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that looks pretty good, £899 for the 32", only £15 delivery too.

what do you guys who are a bit more 'in the know' than me think of this?

worth getting this with 2 more inches and £200 less than the Tosh 30wl?

cheers

7. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    TBH, if you're going to be spending that much money on a piece of hardware, I'd steer away from unknown brands, and go for a respectable, established make. Any of the big Jap companies should be fine, or also Philips (but they're Dutch, I believe).

There are pics of the Hitachi set on their website: http://live.hitachidigitalmedia.com...84/NASApp/DMG/viewProduct_1.jsp?productid=358

I got JL in Norwich to pricematch against an internet shop that I've forgotten the name of (it's in the thread I mentioned in my post above). As I said, it was £1003 or something about 6 weeks ago.

JL will pricematch any price as long as it's from a store with a shopfront. This goes for Internet prices, where the price online is identical to the shopfront price.

It's all a moot point, though, because Dixons are doing the set for £979. Get JL to pricematch that, and you'll get the set for that price with free deliv. and a 5-year warranty.