Bigger viewing

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lumox, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Lumox

Lumox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic HS2. When I play dvd's the picture is very small, it's the same width as the tele screen but the height is not. Is this how all dvd's play or is there a way to
    make the picture fill the sceen. I have looked through the manual but it does not mention anything.
    Thanks

2. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

You don't mention what type or brand of TV you have, however I've just looked up the HS2, and assuming I've found the right one, being the one with a hard disk drive and recording ability that is a bit good(!) I assume you're not watching it through a black and white portable!

I'm sure you have done this, but one very common thing to do is not setup the dvd player to output in the correct aspect for your telly. The dvd player will have a setting for the picture shape of your telly which should be set to 16:9 for widescreen and 4:3 for an old shape telly. Presumably also you are connecting the dvd to the telly by scart and have selected RGB output if your telly can receive it.

Each dvd you buy will have an aspect written on it on the back cover somewhere. Some will have fullscreen written, some widescreen and will have a ratio such as 16:9 or 243:xx I can't remember exactly, but basically the ratio will more often than not, not be 16:9 or 4:3 and so whatever aspect your telly is it won't match exactly. Some discs are anamorphic which means they have higher resolution widescreen that gets expanded out. 16:9 discs on a widescreen telly should fill the entire screen, but the other aspects will have bands at the top and bottom unless you use the telly's ability to zoom the picture to fill the screen. A 4:3 fullscreen disk will have bands at left and right on a widescreen set unless the set is expanding the picture out again.

Hope this helps.

Stu