Bigger Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by jkuy9, Jan 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. jkuy9

jkuy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have read a lot of posts about putting in a bigger harddrive but I just wanted to hear from someone who has had one install in there system for a few weeks/months.

Does it cause any problems? Does it work ok? I want to get Sky+ in the next month or so but I would want to put a bigger drive in (80-120GB probably). I just want to make sure Sky+ will use the bigger drive and not just say it is full when it gets to whatever the size of the original drive is.

Thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    You can happily insert a HDD upto 120GB and Sky+ will use all of it. You can put a bigger HDD in and it will still work but only upto 120GB.

The only drawback is that the percentage indicator no longer works (the percentage bar still does :confused: ). Had it installed for the best part of 4 months now.

3. jkuy9

jkuy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

thanks for the info. with a 120GB drive how much time would i get for recording? How big is the drive in the Sky+ box originally? I know it is about 22Hours recording time but no actual size

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    The original Sky+ HDD is 40GB so by inserting a 120GB you effectively get three times as much storage space. The actual time varies slightly as Sky+ basically just records what is transmitted and this, by it's very nature, goes up and down. However you can safely say you will get around 60 hours on your disk before it fills up.

5. jkuy9

jkuy9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) now that is good!

Thanks for all your help.

I am currently looking into Sky+ as I said, do you know of any places that have better prices than Sky or is it only Sky that sell them?

Also are there any harddrives that work "better" with SKy+ than others?

6. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Re jkuy9's post, I was just reading an article about video capture on PCs. It said that normal hard drives perform a thermal recalibration every few seconds which can cause dropped frames when the drive is recording video.

Apparently, you can get 'AV' drives that eliminate this problem.

So Rasczak, do you know what's the make/model of the original Sky+ hard drive, and do you know if it's one of these AV drives? Did you fit an AV drive when you replaced yours?

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    No I'm afraid I don't. I just followed the advice that was circulated on the various forums. I installed a Western Digital 5,200rpm 120GB drive. Didn't say it was an 'AV' drive so I guess it wasn't.

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just replaced mine a couple of days ago.

The original drive was a bog standard Maxtor Fireball 3 40GB, 5400RPM unit. I replaced it with a Maxtor DiamondMax9 120GB, 7200RPM drive and all seems well.

I think that the AV drives people are talking about refer to SCSI drives which used to have an AV variation. Any standard IDE drive should work fine. The only important thing is that the drive must power up within about 7 seconds or so for the system to recognise it's presence.

It is a very easy procedure to do being a straigt swap but I left off the top of the hard drive mounting cage to aid in cooling. If you moved your box on a regular basis then it might be safer to leave this in place. Also, the drive I have used has fluid bearings and is therefore quiter than the old drive.

Cheers, Lee

9. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +575
    I replaced my sky+ HD about 4 months ago ... got a maxtor fluid bearing 80Gb for £75 from a finnish IT company on the web ... took old one out, put new one in ... ran the 'sky housekeeping' and its been fine ever since ... would have liked a fluid 120 GB but they wer rarer than rocking horse doo-doo ;-)

Jon

10. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV drives overcame a problem that was highlighted by AV software.

When a drive is spinning, the platters heat up. This heat build up causes the platters to expand. As the heads are micrometers above the actual surface (they measure the inductance passing under the head so don't actually touch) any increase in the platter's surface height will mean the heads get closer to the surface and may result in a head crash (like the Enterprise seems to do in each new film).

To try and circumvent this the control software in the hard drive performs a thermal recalibration. It removes the heads from the spindle and then resets itself to the correct height above the now hotter surface.

Whilst its doing this recalibration it is unable to perform any user read/write operation and so there is a stutter in the data flow to/from the hard drive.

Under normal circumstances this wasn't a problem but for AV use any delay is bad news.

AV friendly drives were implemented which no longer performed this thermal recalibration and did it some other way (cant remember how).

Nowadays all drives are fast enough to support AV use even if they continue to do thermal recalibration

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aparently sky are going to release an official 80Gb drive

hopefully they will be sensible with the pricing

I have read a few threads about this upgrading proceedure

how easy is easy to say someone who has never even tinkered with a PC

12. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'd say that if you can change a plug then you could easily swap the hard drive for a larger model.

You need a special screw driver bit (torx) to open up both the case and then the cradle holding the drive in place.

Disconect the old drive's power and data cables. Lift the old drive out - it does not have any screws holding it in place. Insert the new drive, connect up the cables and replace the top of the drive cradle and the top of the Sky+ box.

Then perform a Full System Restart from the hidden Installation Menu and that's it.

I did not bother to put the top of the drive cradle back on to aid in cooling but that would be up to you.

However, if you do not yet have Sky+ and don't mind waiting until they release a larger version then it might be better as you would invalidate your warranty buy performing the upgrade.

Cheers, Lee

13. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have had sky+ for a week and it really is the dogs

getting a dvdr tuesday so I am not sure I will need a bigger HD