Bigger Hard Disk in Sky+ Box

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jeb, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Jeb

Jeb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone out there got any experience doing this?
    I beleive the standard unit has a 40GB Drive in it, if I replace it with a 120GB will I get 3 time as much recording space ?

Jeb

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes this is possible, do a search on this because the subject came up a few times in the past. I've not done the procedure myself, but in summary the downsides seem to be :

-invalidation of warranty, if that's a concern
    -"incorrect % free" indicator, possibly indicating firmware is looking for a 40Gb disk only
    - only specific disks working reliably over the long term
    - ventilation issues due to disk heat generation
    - limit on maximum usable space (around 100Gb) again probably a firmware thing

The main thing I don't like the the idea of having so much stuff on a single drive which cannot easily be backed up - 40Gb is bad enough! - a digital connection to a PC would be nice :)

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Let's face it, never in a million years! You and I both know that the term "back-up" has a very loose interpretation to some individuals. You know the ones - watch TV in their cabins with their parrot sitting on their shoulder, working out how many 'pieces of eight' they'll get for 'lending' out their 'back-up' copy of a film to their matey down the pub ;)

4. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I've had a 120gb 7200 fbd drive from ebuyer running happily for a few weeks now, installation is no big deal just shove it in and it sorts itself out.

5. Jeb

Jeb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK I've read all the other threads been to the Hummer web site (whats that all about ?) and I'm still left with one question.
    If I put my old Hard Disk back in can I watch the programmes on it again or will it be reformatted?

Jeb