Bigger Arms...?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Arcam_boy, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    Hello,

I've been holding off posting this as I've read numerous times what's needed to build arms but thought I'd open the thread anyway to see if there's any good recommendations.

I've been doing resistance training since November 13.

I'm doing a 2 day on 1 day off 2 day on 1 day off program which works my whole body over the four workouts and includes compound lifts. Over that four day period I work my biceps after my back workout and triceps after my shoulder day giving me two days rest between. My bodies come on pretty well over the last couple of months along with my strength. However my arms haven't really got much bigger. I measured them a few days ago and they were 15" when tensed - I'm 6ft tall, 14stone and around 15 - 18% BF.

I've been doing some reading up and have seen some people recommending giving the arms a full workout day to themselves, working both the tri's and bi's on the same day.

Others have said do as I'm doing but work the tri's twice a week and the bi's once a week due to the tri's making up roughly 70% of the arm.

One of the mens magazines I've read said " It takes approximately 20 days of working out to notice your t-shirts getting tighter around the arms" I've still not really noticed that yet, maybe a slight bit, but considering I've been working out a lot longer than 20 days its made me wonder even more!!

Is it genetics?

Should I give my arms there own day?

Should I change to two days tri / 1 day bi per week?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark

2. Wardy257

Wardy257

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +779
    Don't over think it.

Your arms will get the most stimulation from heavy presses and heavy pulls. Any isolation work is just to finish them off. Most people ruin their arm training by sloppy form or over training and usually both!

You could do a lot worse than watch the master, Dorian Yates:

Dorian Yates' Blood & Guts Trainer:...

Edit:

At your level I would recommend training your back and bis on the same day, and your chest and tris on the same day. But follow Dorians training methodology.

3. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,372
    Thanks mate,

Just watched the video, good video but I've been pretty much doing as he's shown in the video in the form of working the muscle until failure and doing controlled reps with good form.

I've not done a great deal of decline bench press, but my chest is coming along nicely, just my arms really that seem a little slow :(

4. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,630
    Hi Mark,

All the points you've made, there's no right or wrong. If you've only been training since November, then I would say you really havnt even started your weight training adventure yet. By this, I mean you're at the by very early stages of working out and waking your body up to resistance training and are still to explore what works for your body and doesn't, from a growth point of view.

My advice would be to log your training so you can easily identify what you did where, when and how. Then adapt certain types/techniques of training and carry those out for a few months to see if you're making any progress. If you think your arms are progressing, tweak things, if not, change things completely.

Personally, I chose Arnold's routines and approaches as a guide. My arms have short heads, the triceps and biceps..so I was keen on trying to get them bigger and maximising the peak which would work to my advantage with the biceps.

Because the tricep makes up the majority of the arm, I'd train these on there own, and biceps with chest.

Here's one of my old routines, each exercise I start with a lightish weight and pyramid up then follow it with multiple drops.

Ez bar curl : upto 10 sets..including warm up sets..working upto a rep range of 4 -6 reps, doing a few sets with that rep range then doing multiple dropsets to failure.

Incline supinating dumbell curl: 5-6 sets, with biceps warmed start moderate,pyramid upto a heavy weight and the 6 rep range, and follow it up at the end by a few drop sets to failure.

Preacher curls- 5-6 sets-same principle pyramid up from a 12-15 rep range upto a heavy 6 rep set..and multiple drops

Concentration curls- 4-5sets..biceps should be a bit knackered by this stage..so we're not looking to go super heavy but getting a minimum of 7-8 reps on the heavier sets followed up by multiple drops

Wrist curls/overhand grip barbell curls

Some of these to finish off. 4 sets of each..minimum 12 reps and multiple drops at the end.

If this tickles your fancy, then I'll post my tricep routine up. It's a bit of a mental workout..but it has high reps, heavy weights, low reps and some light weight...and for me all those components used in a workout, can all be very effective.

Personally, I think there's no substitute for getting the reps and trying to work with a load which is very near your capacity as you get more into it, working with a load with which your muscle may only cope with assistance. Ie cheat reps with heavy bar curls. That will help you get progressively stronger..and bigger..for me, as the load was increasing, so was my size. But you work upto that level and you also have to experiment what your most effective stimulant for growth is .

Don't forget to eat a plenty and eat good. The weights is half the equation...the diet/food is just as important.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  5. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I'd very much agree with that.

What works for one won't necessarily work for another, so I wouldn't tie yourself to specific programmes or teachings, the most important person to find out about at this stage is yourself.

Everyone's make-up is different. My legs bulk up really quickly with little effort, my arms are more difficult, and my chest is absolute murder to build. Due to this, I have previous with looking a bit like a pro cycler. It's not that great a look!

Once I sussed out the fundamentals of what I personally needed to do with my frame, and understood more about the related biology and nutrition, progress was much swifter. Now it's all pretty much automatic, and I just focus on form and food.
    Don't worry too much about that stuff, a lot of it is just throwaway comments which are used to sell magazines. There used to be an oft-repeated one about "After a week or two you'll notice a difference, after a month others will too... blah, blah, blah". All my pals buy mags to "Build a beach-ready body in a month" and expect to drop a stone of fat and build a chest and biceps in a month!

6. Charlts

Charlts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +695
    To throw in my twopenneth, as this isn't an area I've much knowledge of. Concentrate on getting bigger everywhere, if you're growing, your arms will be growing. I'm the same height as you and around 5st heavier, I just measured my arms they're only 3.5 inches bigger than yours are and look big on me. How much are you expecting them to grow them by?

7. Wardy257

Wardy257

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +779
    Also, don't confuse strength and size, there can be sometimes be little correlation. You are still new to training so keep it simple, stick to compound movements and a few assistance exercise for another couple of months then decide if you want to be strong or big.

Learn from Kai:

Kai Greene - I'll Never be A Weightlifter.

8. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,630
    Good video..Kai Greene has a good laymens way of explaining things. I think it's easier said than done sometimes, but it can take more discipline and balls to say I'll go a bit lighter, as opposed to saying ill go a bit heavier.

9. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,630
    I think I'm the short arse here..I'm only 5'10! It was the constantly exposed arms in the late 80s and early 90s in the flicks that caught my attention and got me interested in weights.

But I think I'm in a position now where I'm giving myself the advice Kai is. My arms are a reasonable size and rather than go mental with the weights as I used to do when I was younger, I'm going a bit lighter on some exercises to get the squeeze and burn. Contrary to what some may think, you don't actually lose your muscle going a bit lighter.

10. Wardy257

Wardy257

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +779
    Think of it in terms of tension. If you can produce 30% of the tension by using good form and contracting the muscle using your brain, you only have to gain another 70% of the tension through the weight you lift.

11. sammy the squid

sammy the squid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,630
    My brains too busy thinking my biceps are huuuge and filling out the room at the gym (Arnold style!) more than anything else!nmy form is more than satisfactory, but in all honesty I don't have the time or commitment now what I did 15 years ago. Still, they're just over 21 inch pumped, so I'm going to keep beavering away!

I also used to be an instructor when I was younger Wardy:smashin:

12. dap33

dap33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    chin ups then progress to weighted chin ups