1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big TV - Small room

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Erick, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My bedroom is on the small side and I currently have a 28" JVC CRT widescreen TV in it. However I want to go bigger. I want to have a better cinematic experience when watching movies and normal programmes too. :)

I've spent lots of time looking around the various different types of televisions, and I'm still a bit clueless. The gap from the viewing position to the wall where the TV is infront of is just over 2 metres.

[​IMG]

Excuse the lame diagram :zonked:

I love the Plasma Screens but... 1. They're expensive 2. I've heard a lot of worrying things about them such as, on screen signs (Such as 'Sky Sports 1' in the corner) being burnt onto them. Because I watch TV alot, I want it to last. I was very impressed with the LCD rear projection TV from Sony, the KF-42SX300U although due to the size of my room I'm not sure if the quality will be good if I sit too close. The LCD-RP TVs certainly looked easier to watch close up than the regular RP TVs but will 180-200cm be enough for a quality picture?

Thanks

2. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the sammy 43 inch LCD RPTV and sit about 2.5-3 metres away from it no problem. It also doesnt jet out of the wall like your 28 inch probably does

3. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah you're right. The RPTV only has a depth of 14" where as my JVC TV has a depth of 20". I think if I watch the TV from a different wall I could possibly stretch the viewing distance to just under 7ft. Would this be okay for a LCD RPTV?

Thanks

4. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thats all im watching mine from i reckon. picture is real good, i was worried about getting an rptv but this is good. On Sky I think I can see vertical lines, but thats it, the other half cant notice them, sound is good on it. My surround speakers are in getting fixed at the moment and usually I really loathe TV sound but this isnt that bad. Real nice cabinet underneath too. Most RPTVs seem to have one shelf under them and loads of speaker silver crud between the screen and shelf making it look quite imposing and distracting from the screen, but this is a nice looking tv

5. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds great, thanks for the reply.

Do you find that watching movies in the dark on your Samsung is not as good as a CRT TV in the same conditions? I love watching TV/playing Xbox in the dark and I don't want it looking bad. :cool:

6. coolio

coolio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think anyone will say that a normal CRT TV has the best pic but this isnt far off. Seems a few people on here have the TV now and its high rated when it comes to RPTVs

I prefer to watch it in the dark and find the colours fine, black is black to me

DVD, gamecube and x-box provide better pictures on it than Sky, but considering the pic is sooo big its hard to find fault with the pic