Question Big TV (SAMSUNG UE82MU7000 ) or projector

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by m0v1em4n, Oct 9, 2017.

1. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +49
      Hi guys,

looking for a bit of input on a possible new purchase.
      At present I have a JVC X3 projector for mainly movie viewing with a little gaming thrown in, and would like to upgrade to UHD 4K, My screen is 82" Diagonal in a semi light controlled room but not totally blacked out, so far I am considering.

Optoma UHD65
      not sure I like the placement in my viewing room plus I would have to close curtains and blinds to use, much like I have to do now.

UE82MU7000TXXU
      Recently came across this TV and size wise seem to fit the bill, presume I could watch in a lighter environment, wouldn't have to worry about bulb replacement,

would appreciate any input on the above or have any suggestion on big TV's around the same size (82")

Thanks in advance
      Steve

2. xar

xar

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +833
      I wouldn't bother with a projector if you want a 4k / HDR upgrade. I have a Epson ls10500 and Lumagen combo in a light controlled room, and the upgrade from regular HD is 'ok' to non existent. I have even stopped buying 4k discs unless I can't get atmos on the blu ray.

Note I would always say a projector is a better way to watch movies than a TV, but if it is the benefit of 4k/ HDR you want then a TV is the only way to go (until projectors catch up).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. SLS72

SLS72

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +121
      If you want HDR then it has to be a TV. If you don't then stick with a projector. But if you do want HDR, don't buy the Samsung above, it isn't a decent HDR TV. For that you'll need to accept a smaller screen, the 75" Sony XE94 is a great HDR TV for £4000. If I had a Samsung MU7000 I'd avoid HDR since it'll frankly look worse than SDR on a TV like that.

4. Abacus

Abacus

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +206
      If you want to get any form of cinematic experience then you need at least a 65” TV, (Unless you can sit very close) so going for a projector is the obvious choice.

I personally would take a HD projector over a 4K HDR TV any day of the week for watching films, as it just gives you better immersion, however, you can pick up a decent 4K projector for between £2000 -3000 these days, so worthwhile having a trial first. (Note these are not native 4K but the Ti based DLP projectors do give you a true 4K image with 3840 x 2160 pixels on-screen, however, if you enjoy watching test signals and test pictures you may notice anomalies, but you are unlikely to see any problems when watching normal content, there are also the Epson models, but I find their 4K to be fuzzy even at normal watching distances)

Best thing is to try a few out to see if a TV will suit, or the projector rules, (Everybody is different) but for me, a projector is a no brainer.

Hope this helps with your decision

Bill

5. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,006
      I have raised this issue a few times over the years, I think the tipping point is when you get 100 inch oled tv's for around £4-5k then it will be a no brainer.

Until then for Max bang for buck you can't beat a projector and I personally have a bat cave set up with an excellent Epson HD PJ which importantly for me also does 3D.

However I think very large Tv's are the future, much more flexible usage and ultimately better pictures screen sizes being equal

6. SCOLANATOR

SCOLANATOR

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +64
      I feel like we are tantalisingly close to 4k HDR OLED 'wallpaper' TV's like LG's W7 (just without that soundbar please LG if you are reading this) at screen sizes of 77" and higher for reasonable money.

A W7 without the soundbar at 77" would be the perfect TV. Hoping it comes next year with a one connect box, HDMI 2.1, 120Hz, VRR and eARC. Would have no need for a projector then.

7. daredevill

daredevill

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +162
      I’m in the same boat, looking to upgrade my projector to a 4K version but am now considering a large tv. Problem is I have a large pj screen in a batcave environment.... I hate the black room but love the big screen. Just can’t decide which I want more, a usable room for other things or that massive screen...

8. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +49
      Thanks guys

9. Jek99

Jek99

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +296
      Interesting thread, I've decided to keep my AT6000e (will have to cope without 4k) until a 92inch or above oled is released for £5k or less (could be waiting quite a while). The cinema experience of a projector is brilliant but the oled picture quality is just something else.
      Sorry to go off topic but to answer your question, out of your two options, at the moment I'd go projector.

10. Marshall Mike

Marshall Mike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +865
      I feel your pain. We are planning on moving house soon and I'm not sure I can be bothered moving my PJ and having it ceiling mounted again. Running in the power and HDMI is putting me off so I have found myself looking at large TV's. Problem is a large TV might look quite small after a few years of watching images around 117".

11. snedger

snedger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8
      Apologies if this has already been discussed.
      Got really frustrated with EE not getting me a Note 8 in store, then discovered Samsungs upgrade program - got my phone - then realised you can do it for TVs as well, though sadly not Pj's.
      Just had a look, 75 inch QLED for 106 quid a month with option after 2 years to send it back and get another top of the range TV.

12. pronto

pronto

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      Steve did you ever get the tv or projector as I'm in the same boat at the mo I've a PJ 720p at a screen size of 107"(diagonal) in a dedicated room, but to buy a decent PJ @ 4k HDR would probably be the new Sony vpl260es which is just over 5k then I've got to get a 15m HDMI cable that will work, so I'm looking at the Samsung UE82MU7000 for £2999 and I'm very near pulling the trigger
      so to speak... dilemma dilemma

13. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +49
      Hi,
      in the end went with a 65" Samsung KS9000 just to get things moving in the 4K direction and for testing and setting up my HTPC, but will be getting a larger TV in a year or so, because for me I think this is the way to go