1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIG tv for the living room

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Monty1977, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Monty1977

Monty1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Morning all :)

I'm on the hunt for a large TV for the living room. We're fortunate in that the TV sits under the stairs so space for a big box isn't an issue, nor is viewing distance.

Ideally we want a screen of at least 36" and Widescreen in format. I've been looking at RPTV and 36" CRTs as budget is somewhat limited at ~£800

Looked at a few RPTVs in Dixons (no intention of buying, just getting ideas) and despite having nice screen real estate the pictures were shocking. I'm hoping that was just setup as I'm sure no one would tolerate pics that washed out in real life right?

Can people post some recs of possible screens to look at pls? And if possible some pics of RPTVs in their home showing 'real' setup pictures etc...

Cheers!!!
    Adam

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    The picture quality on a RPTV can be quite good, but the brightness is nothing like a CRT, they can look good when watching in low light but not with sun coming through window. The viewing angle is also critical, get the wrong angle and picture looks dull.
    If you dont get much response from this post try the RPTV forum.
    Nigel

3. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
  4. duffy78

duffy78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I HAVE A 5 YEAR OLD 43" 4:3 aspect ration rear projection tv from toshiba,

all you have to do is spend a little time setting up the picture to your requirements and the picture can be spot on, you cant really judge them by what you see in dixons etc as they wont have been set up properly,

yes there is some problem with the viewing angles but with the modern ones youd have to be stood at the side to notice, plus if what you say is true and your screen is under the stairs you pretty much gonna be looking straight at it most of the time