Big trouble in little china single disc special edition R1

G

Grimley

I've just received this disc (bought from future entertainment)
I bought this version with the belief it has a DTS soundtrack, It states it clearly on their website See for yourself yet it does not say anything about a DTS soundtrack on the packaging.

Does anyone else own a copy of this DVD & confirm it does have a DTS soundtrack? I don't want to have a go at future entertainment without due cause.

I've not opened the packaging in case it does have to go back but I can hear the disc rattling around in the case too which I'm not too happy about either.

The bar code on the back of the case is 0 24543 04475 8
Cheers

I've been looking into getting this also - I was a bit confused as dvdcompare only has details of a two disk release, and whenever I searched for it I invariably found the sinlge disk version - however evey time I've seen the r1 version advertised it always says it has DTS - I've never seen a r1 advertised without it.

There are many dts disks around which don't mention it on the packaging - monster inc for example. I reckon it's one of those.

You should be able to pick this (DTS version) up in the high st for under a tenner.

HMV usually have it in their frequent sales

DTS on r2 :eek: i dont think so:rolleyes:
The best version to this date in our stores is the 4.1 version:lesson:

I have the 2 disc region 1 version and can confirm its DTS 5.1 and proudly says so on the front sides and back of the case.

Why do people buy region 2 with its 4% speedup it HAS to effect the sound quality.

Originally posted by FoxyMulder
I have the 2 disc region 1 version and can confirm its DTS 5.1 and proudly says so on the front sides and back of the case.

Why do people buy region 2 with its 4% speedup it HAS to effect the sound quality.

This has no bearing as they are talking about the single disc version :confused:

Can you here the difference between pal and ntsc?
I doubt it:lesson:

From what I can work out, having read a few different reviews on this title, is that this is a re-release without the second disc of extra's, and it features a DTS track as well as a DD audio track included on the disc.

However, it must be noted that the DTS track comes from the same source as the Dolby one, and is really a 4.1 track posing as 5.1. By this I mean that the mono surround channel of the Dolby mix has simply been encoded into the left and right discrete surround channels of the DTS mix.

Hope this helps.

LDR

OK, folks I took the plunge & opened the case, No DTS soundtrack on this version i'm afraid :( :mad:. I've checked for the 2 disc version using DVD price checker & all but one site says it's available to buy (www.store4dvd.com) some sites say the 2 disc version is discontinued & no longer available. Other sites say the single disc version has a DTS soundtrack. Out of a dozen sites that stock the single disc edition only 1 got the soundtrack details right (playusa) some said DTS 5.1/4.0/ 4.1 & DD 5.1 4.0 :rolleyes:

For the record, the disc has DD 4.1 English (mono rear channels) 2.0 french 1.0 spanish & 2.0 english commentary, my amp & player doesn't lie after all. I'm going to keep the disc anyway, the DTS track on the 2 disc version can't be all that different from the DD 4.1 track this disc has. The film was originally shown at the cinema in Dolby stereo (pro-logic 1) & was shown in the west end of London in 70mm 6 track magnetic Dolby stereo too, how sad am I to remember that....

The soundtrack on the region 1 edition is 5.1 discrete listen carefully there are a couple of instances where u can hear split surrounds on the other hand a film like Point Break is 4.1

as for hearing the differences on region 1 and 2 YES I DO ive already pointed out the differences with a region 1 and 2 version of Armageddon

I've ordered the single disk special edition from store4dvd, where it is advertised as DTS. If it does not have dts them I'm definately going to ask for a refund.

The only reason I wanted to r1 over the r2 was because of dts, but I wasn't bothered about the special features so I didn't want to pay for the 2 disc version.

Grimley -> the link you posted for store4dvd says that it's a single disk SE, where as on playusa, which lists it as DD only doesn't mention that it's SE. It looks like what LDR has said is right, ie single disk standard edition no dts, 2 disk SE with dts, and single disk SE with dts.

Have you got the SE ? Mind you, both cover shots on playusa and store4dvd sites look exactly the same, with no mention of SE on the front. I'm confused !

QUOTE]Originally posted by dfield2000
I've ordered the single disk special edition from store4dvd, where it is advertised as DTS. If it does not have dts them I'm definately going to ask for a refund.

The only reason I wanted to r1 over the r2 was because of dts, but I wasn't bothered about the special features so I didn't want to pay for the 2 disc version.

Grimley -> the link you posted for store4dvd says that it's a single disk SE, where as on playusa, which lists it as DD only doesn't mention that it's SE. It looks like what LDR has said is right, ie single disk standard edition no dts, 2 disk SE with dts, and single disk SE with dts.

Have you got the SE ? Mind you, both cover shots on playusa and store4dvd sites look exactly the same, with no mention of SE on the front. I'm confused !
[/QUOTE]

I have the single disc special edition, Soundtracks are as in my previous post.

It looks as though store4DVD stocks both the single disc & the 2 disc special editions. The 2 disc edition has DTS, but is discontinued AFAIK, the single disc (which I originally enquired about) doesn't have DTS, only DD4.1 (My Sony 940 displays mono rear channels with this disc)

I don't think there is a Single disc version with DTS after checking several R1 sites, I think Fox have sent them the wrong specs :rolleyes:

I've even checked fox's website, no offical info about the disc itself apart from it being on sale & having a DD mono soundtrack:mad:

Where's the undisputed king of all DVD specs (Squirrel God to you & me) when you need him to clarify all of this? :confused:

It also says it has the full screen version which is not on the 2 disc. Is it possibly a Canadian version?

The first menu you see on this disc (after the usual FBI warnings) is a choice of either viewing the film in anamorphic widescreen or pan & scan. I dont know if there is an amercian version & a canadian version available if there was I thought they would be the same. it appear there is only one version because is has both the american & canadian certifications on the back of the case.

I have the region 1 DTS 2 disc special edition :clap:

sheeeeeeeeesh i wish my problems only centered around a dvd that didnt have dts!

seems some people are just plain anal when a dvd doesn,t have 5.1 this or lucas 10.1 blah blah...just enjoy the movie the whole world doesn,t stop because big trouble in little china does not have dts

I thought I'd bump this thread & reply to the previous poster,
I'm just trying to make a point by saying that some DVD sites do get incorrect info from distributors in rare occasions regarding DVD specs.

I'm not bothered about the disc not having DTS now, it's a remastered 80's film soundtrack anyway & two other films I own from the 80's with a DTS soundtrack (1st blood & Predator)
just aren't up to the standard of modern film soundtracks....

just my 1p's worth....

Just saw the 2 disc version of this in HMV's January sale for around a tenner.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom