Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Big store prices versus 5 star reviews.

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Chris at Home, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 5 star rated widescreen TV

I took a fancy to the Philips 28PW6518. At £259.95 it is the only model (to the best of my knowledge) that was rated as a best buy (Issue 292 of WHAT VIDEO AND WIDESCREEN TV) that actually made it to a big store (Comet, in this case).

The local search.

When I enquired at Currys, the reply was: "We don't do that one." I replied: "But is has a 5 star rating." The sales guy said: "Sorry but we just don't have it." My local TV shop just round the corner is even worse. It only seems to sell 2 star rated products!

I wonder...

Now... if a model gets a 3 star rating insead of 4 or 5, it won't sell so easily. So... do the importers sell these products en masse to the big name stores to get rid of them quickly? Has anyone else noticed this?

2. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Most people buy on looks alone and whatever the salesman tells them about their needs. So to most people a TV set is just that... a TV set.

How well it it has scored in some magazine is of complete ignorance. Therefore in general any TV that ends up alongside a batch of many others all being fed the same source and material has as much chance of being bought as the next for the taste and requirements of the prospective purchaser.

So in short I don't think manufacturers deliberatly sell off a bad product in big name stores, as a *bad* product is only of knowledge to those that actually do research prior to purchase. I also can't see manufacturers looking at their products as inferior to the competition.This wouldn't do their confidence or sales any good what so ever.

Further there is a product specifically designed to fit into a given slot/price point in the market and therefore wherever a build to price spec (which is just about everything) limitation is called upon, compromises will invetabaly have to be made. How severe (depends on price) and where they are made depends on the manufacturers aim and ideas.
    How tolerable the compromises are depends on the good features of the set, all of which by nature are different for different manufacturers. The tally up between pro's and con's for each individual customer is what still sells these sets!! (even if you and I thought it unwatchable!)

3. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a case of the sales staff (interested in getting their commission on the sale) telling you: "This is what you need." A case of minds being swayed by the smooth tongue of the salesman.

Personally, I like to find out what I am getting beforehand.

If the customer has done no homework on the item, they might well be impressed on this sales line: "I've got one of those at home. It really is good!"

4. gario

gario

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Would you be interested in the 32" model of this Philips TV???

If so Currys are doing a good offer on this set, Web exclusive £395.
    including delivery, with stand

I have the 24PW6518 which has very good picture & sound quality.

Highly recommended :thumbsup:

5. Chris at Home

Chris at Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, the 32" won't fit in the space available. Most, if not all, the 28" TVs will fit. I am considering the Sony or Philips with inbuilt digital tuners.