BIG Sony LCD (Which one)?

ReasonableMan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am about to delve into the large LCD market and am looking for some advice on the best purchase. My wife has decided on Sony as a brand and reading up on it, its all very confusing. We want between a 46 and 52" and something that will be future-proof for the next few years. Any owners out there?, any suggestions as the range seems very extensive, please help!!!! :suicide:

Hi, I am about to delve into the large LCD market and am looking for some advice on the best purchase. My wife has decided on Sony as a brand and reading up on it, its all very confusing. We want between a 46 and 52" and something that will be future-proof for the next few years. Any owners out there?, any suggestions as the range seems very extensive, please help!!!! :suicide:
From what ive been reading plasma is the way foward not lcd. Pioneer you will need big pockets, next best Panasonic

Try the LCD forum section !!

Better stil get a plasma !!

Yours,

Steve

Is plasma really the way? I have high def Sky, Blue Ray DVD a PS3 and a HD Laptop, I hear for graphics or static images LCD won't burn and is better for 1080i and P ?

1080p and 24fps is what you should have to play Blu-rays in their full glory. A set with this and multiple HDMI inputs is as future proof as you will get.

If your wife has decided on the type of tv to buy, then all is lost anyway :D

Be a man and take control of this task, their only input should be how aesthetiaclly pleasing it is.

Back to tvs, what will you be watching, tv, dvds, blu rays, maybe some gaming ? If mainly tv and films then go for a plasma like a panasonic PZ range as they will be better at making freeview/sky look closer to an old CRT, whereas LCDs still don't do a great job of normal tv.

And if you have around £2k, then the pioneer 5090 is unbeatable !

I agree, go plasma then all its down to is budget. A 50" PZ80 will cost around £1200 and the 5090 is around £2200.

I'm not impressed with large Sony LCD's at all, all the ones ive seen in store show really noticable judder on HD sources. :thumbsdow

The only nice looking lcd's are the small ones under 30". The bigger the LCD display gets the worst it looks IMO.

Go for a plasma. :)

LOL

LOL

LOL

My Molly says get what i want as long as i give her a bone !!

Thats a different sort of bone to the one your wife demands along with a Sony !!

lol

Is plasma really the way? I have high def Sky, Blue Ray DVD a PS3 and a HD Laptop, I hear for graphics or static images LCD won't burn and is better for 1080i and P ?

If you're after an LCD, then you really need to be asking in the LCD forum.

I have a Panasonic 50PZ80 plasma and very happy with it.

But for an LCD, the Sony W4000 is supposed to be pretty good.

Sony KDL40W4000 Review: 40" Bravia 1080p LCD HDTV Panel

I think every TV you can buy now is as future proof as can be. For example, how many years have they been broadcasting analogue TV signals before the impending digital switchover? I can't see anything like that happening in the near future which would make our existing TV sets obselete.

As long as you can watch DVD's, Sky, Freeview or whatever you may use your TV for, then isn't that enough?

sorry I have nothing useful to add - it's just that the above quote was priceless ;) :smashin: :devil:

Thanks, but its true, I have just gone without my 'rations' for 2 weeks over a DISHWASHER!!!!! (thank the Lord for the internet)... ;)
Just been on to Digital Direct, they are claiming that Plasma is the best all-rounder and LCD is a good choice for media applications, I think I just need to weigh up my usage, anybody dealt with these guys before?

Things you have to be careful about is Clouding..............

Which one:

vreejr.jpg

OR

c5b9c.jpg

:D

I see, is this prominent on all LCD screens or just the cheaper ones? I can't say I have seen this on the demo's I have had......

Moving this thread from the plasma forum over to the LCD forum where it belongs.

A much brainier bunch over there so hoping you receive some intelligent replies.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom