Big screen small room?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Flat_Steve, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Flat_Steve

Flat_Steve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! My first post here, I have a query about my Infocus LP350 projector I've set up in my bedroom. My problem is that due to the small size of the room I can only get the projector back far enough to throw a 45" image, though my screen is 80" (see pic). So my query is, is there some sort of lens I can use to 'blow up' the image?

Attached Files:

2. Malky1903

Malky1903

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I think your easiest option would be to buy a smaller screen. Either that or a) Buy a new PJ with short throw or b) Knock down a couple of walls and make a bigger room :)

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    THe projector is 4:3 and the screen is 16:9. The picture seems to show that the projector is capable of producing an image that is the correct height, but not the width because the aspect ratio is wrong. A horizontal stretch lens like the Prismasonic range might work by keeping the image th esame height but stretching it sideways to 16:9:

http://www.prismasonic.com/english/specs.shtml

The current H600 amd H1200 will do the job for you.

Gary

4. Flat_Steve

Flat_Steve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen's at that aspect on purpose so there are no top and bottom borders, I have enough real-estate to pull the screen further up if only I could make use of it...

My projector is six and a half feet from the screen - to produce a full 80" wide picture it'd normally need to be eleven feet away - which isn't happening in a seven feet by seven feet room, unless as mentioned I start knocking walls down :D Was thinking, some people use 'freshnel lenses' in front of their monitors/TV's to magnify the image - is there some equivalent that could be stood in front of the projector to magnify the image slightly?

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if the projectors lens mount is threaded then you might be able to get some kind of camera lens that would enlarge it......but it wouldnt be easy nor cheap......sounds like you need that projector What Hifi showed off last month, can project a 80in image from a couple of foot away...lol...it uses mirrors and apparently the picture quality isnt bad (i guess it works similar to a rear projection DLP TV.......cant remember how much it was or who made it tho, try the what hifi site for past reviews.....(i'll look for the mag in the morning...not sure where it is now)

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    just remembered, might have been What Projector (or whatever that new spin off from a Home Cinema mag is called), not What Hifi...if i find it i'll post it more info..

7. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Maybe i've missed something obvious here as its like trying to push a cube through a circular hole lol

Wouldnt it be cheaper to get a short throw 16:9 projector rather than an expensive lens to stretch a 4:3 image to fit your 16:9 screen?

I think the Toshiba ET1 and Epson TW10H can produce 80" from around 7 foot back and both are cheaper than a lens.

Forgive me if ive missed your point tho, its early.

8. Flat_Steve

Flat_Steve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you're probably right, it looks like it simply isn't a realistic idea. I just need a bigger room I think!

Thanks for your help and ideas!