big screen gaming (and 3d question)

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
WOW!

my games room is finally (almost) complete and the cherry on the icing on the cake was my 70inch gaming telly.

(Sharp aquos 70LE836E)

I havent even touched the settings yet to set up the image but it is incredible and unlike some things, size really does matter ;) .

however, other than to gloat ;) I do have a reason for posting.

I havent got my 3D glasses yet, but when I do, is there anything else i need to get 3D gaming to run? ie do I need that nvidia 3D kit?(

my graphics card is a GTX 560Ti.

cheers

Dan360

WOW!

my games room is finally (almost) complete and the cherry on the icing on the cake was my 70inch gaming telly.

(Sharp aquos 70LE836E)

I havent even touched the settings yet to set up the image but it is incredible and unlike some things, size really does matter ;) .

however, other than to gloat ;) I do have a reason for posting.

I havent got my 3D glasses yet, but when I do, is there anything else i need to get 3D gaming to run? ie do I need that nvidia 3D kit?(

my graphics card is a GTX 560Ti.

cheers
Been exploring some 3d options myself recently. As I understand you can put your tv into 3d mode via your tv remote etc and play anything in 3d however tbh its kind of crap.

Using Nvidia 3dtv play or one of their proper vision kits is supposed to allow you to use the power of your Nvidia GPU to accelerate the 3d effect.
I recently had the 3dtv play software on trial and games like sleeping dogs and Just Cause 2 looked waaaayyy better than just putting the tv into 3d. Hits fps hard though!

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I think the 3d nvidia kit just contains 3d glasses.

samtman

Some games like trine 2(which has great 3d) have an option in the menu. Most others require software like the nvidia one. There is a 14 day trial for you to try though before you buy.

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
I use the Nvidia 3dTV Play with my Samsung 3dTV and GTX680. I don't believe there is any way you can get the graphics card to output a side-by-side / top/bottom image that your TV can decode without the 3dTV Play software, so unless the game offers this capability I suspect by simply putting the TV into 3d mode you're using the (rubbish!) 2d to 3d converting of the telly.

As Dan said, you can trial the 3dTV Play software for a few days but you need to buy it, though its not ridiculously priced. This will then cause your graphics card to send a 3d signal to your TV that should auto-engage the 3d effect and you use your TV's glasses. No extra PC hardware required.

Unfortunately HDMI doesn't have the bandwidth for 1080p 60Hz in 3d. The Nvidia card offers 1080p 24Hz in 3d but this is awful for gaming, sometimes impossible (makes my mouse movement go all weird). You're best off choosing 720p 60Hz in 3d. Its a shame you need to drop the resolution but thats the compromise.

Not all games are well supported in 3D. It will have a stab at anything but some poorly supported games will give weird results. Its often shadows that are most noticeable for me, they seem to be at the same depth as whats generating the shadow rather than where the shadow falls, if that makes sense. Some 2d elements, such as HUDs or lighting effects can go weird too.

I find 3d can make me less competitive. Adjusting your focal depth to see a target is just one more thing to do and in a high response game you'll feel it. I wouldn't play a competitive FPS in 3d. However, I recently played through Just Cause 2 in 3d and it was fantastic. Also played Tales of Monkey Island for which the 2d elements go a little weird sometimes but being a slow paced game I didn't mind and thoroughly enjoyed the 3d.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom