1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Sam wants Sven's Job !

Discussion in 'Sport' started by common, Sep 9, 2005.

1. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  2. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    Personally I'd favour Peter Taylor

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    I think the FA will bow to public pressure and appoint a englishman, but who? ......all the english managers in Prem I feel lack that extra bit of va va voom that Wenger and Mourinho have

But they'd still do a better job than Sven > He's said best Eng formation is diamond, with Rooney behind front two. However for that to work u need a english Makalele. Carrick? Parker? - Nope, he plays Beckham there. That to me is for Beckhams sake, playing to his passing strength, rather than hurting opposition

He'd also have to drop either Lampard or Gerrard. Would he? If (God forbid) yes, who?

He's said he would bring someone like Crouch in for Oct qualifiers to change things. As a pool fan, you'd think I'd say great. But he's not played a full game for us yet!

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    There has been a lot of comment about Big in the press and on the radio recently about taking over England and all I can say is :eek: . Yeah ok he does a decent job of keeping Bolton up and getting them to compete, but has geez go and watch them play :boring: . Hardly the makings of a good international manager to me.

There do not appear to be any candidates to me that can't be argued against.

The better candidates away from someone like Wenger or Mourinho for me would be some sort of combination between Peter Taylor, Pearce and O'Neill. Like I said no one is standing out and shouting pick me pick me.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Nah, bring back Graham Taylor :eek: ;)

6. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - Jose Mourinho on a part-time basis.

Sven should be sacked before he stuffs up England's chances of qualifying entirely! We have two games to go against Austria and Poland. All this talk from the England camp about "all we've got to do is win our next two games and we finish top of the group" just shows how deluded they are. Austria and Poland will provide signifcantly stiffer oposition than Wales and Northern Ireland, and look at how we performed against them!!!

I am seriously beginning to doubt whether England will actually qualify...no Rooney against Austria, who will be well up for it.

7. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93

mmm, how many times have you been watching Bolton play?
    true, when they are bad, they are shocking, but for the most part they play good attacking fooball. they do have a problem though.... bolton CANNOT play well when on live $ky tv and the press dont like us (cos they are mainly southerners that dont like "little" bolton beating the london clubs). Anyway England cant have Sam, not until we have got in to the Champions league anyway.

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    and they're gonna have to keep away from Peter Taylor too.. he'd never nake it out alive.. :devil:

the options are getting a bit limited already..!

9. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527

Well I am looking forward to watching a cracking attacking game against blackburn today then! Can't wait!

10. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    :lesson: iv already said bolton and live tv dont mix

11. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Sam won't be much good as england manager then if his team's are affected by being on tv!!:D

12. Bramble1970

Bramble1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont know about his team, but Sam and live tv dont mix... big fat ugly so n so :D

13. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    well, i take back all i have said, cos that was absolute garbage. at least we got a point, were as the mighty england couldnt even manage that :thumbsdow .

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    From what I've seen of Bolton I don't really fancy Sam as England manager
    Now I know you're probably all going to go mad at me here :eek: but I reckon that Mr Hoddle could do a job for us. He never whimped out of the big decisions - rightly or wrongly he left Gazza out, but he stuck to his guns. We were unlucky for Beckham to be sent off against Argentina and if it wasn't for the fact that the press started portraying him as a lunatic due to his dealings with that silly woman he might have done much better. I would give him another go as I don't think there's an Englishman who could do as good a job.

15. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Hoddle is too up his own arse for my liking, and giving him the job again would make him even worse!! I do feel he was unlucky as manager, but he lost the dressing room not long after the world cup. Asking players to fein injury during training to put the press and opposition off his team selection was childish.....which sums him up sometimes by all accounts!

I am a tottenham fan by the way!! :D

According to the reporters on Jimmy Hills Sunday supplement the whole dressing room is in disaray at the moment. During the last game you have Beckham and Rooney having a stand up row at half time, Mclaren getting involved...Rooney tells him where to go:clap: . You have footballers going back to their club sides and moaning about Beckham's influence on the side.

The whole thing is going Pete Tong by the sounds of it....and anyone that thinks Mclaren is the answer to our problems then who do you think takes 99% of the training anyway!! Sven just stands on the touch line 'observing'!!

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    It's a big worry for me that IF we do manage to get rid of Sven, the FA will just keep Mclaren in charge and I really don't like his style at all. I can't bare to watch Middlesborough on the telly these days since he's taken over there.
    I wonder if we could persuade Martin O'Neil (not English I know) to take a part time job as England coach ?

17. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Fat Sam ?! You're having a laugh !

Has NO experience of European football - this will be his first UEFA season.

Has LIMITED experience of dealing with English Premier players - Boltons squad is full of foreigners.

Advocates AWFUL tactics.

The FA really blew it when they removed Peter Taylor from the Under 21's role a few years back... He would have been the perfect successor now. Granted, they reinstated him but he's lost some of the respect that he had from the England camp, maybe. Still, the man knows the players as well as anyone.

If Martin O'Neill remains unavailable due to his wifes illness, Taylor would be my choice.

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Peter Taylor was doing a fantastic job wasn't he and then they replaced him and the under 21s went to pot. Was it the FA who replaced him or was it Sven's idea I wonder ?

19. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    listen guys.. you can have Peter Taylor when we're in the champions league (2008) but not before then, OK? :D

20. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Bring back Graham Taylor. He may have been utterly useless, but at least he was a laugh (or was that laughable?). :D

21. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Leave big Sam alone. Yes his experience at very top is debatable. But I don't recall Sven ever winning anything decent on a regular basis. Wasn't it just the 1 trophy, 3 years before eng job?

But at least Sam would tell the players to do a job, and like it or lump it. Dropping his captain Okocha at begin of season shows he doesn't pander to reputations *cough cough*

Peter Taylor - can't hurt, but I don't think the FA will go for a non-Prem / top division manager. This is the FA we're talking about. The same FA who throws 4.5 mill a year at Sven for pimping himself. Who can't sack him without giving him £10 mill + in compo. The same Sven who's said he won't resign = he is in it for money

Would McClaren toughen up squad? Curbs? Martin O'Neill - I think he'll take a break from football for at least till next season

Stuart Pearce - too soon. Steve Bruce - not good enough

22. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Think it was a stroke of the Howard Wilkinson genius....

23. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I have simple question cant football learn from cricket which a few years ago was a joke and now look at it ? Centralised contracts I say FA sponsoredc academies churning out top notch players who are then subbed out to the clubs but only allowed to play so many games. The rest of the time they would spend honing their skills ,playing friendlies /competitive matches and building the squad ethos. Way forward?
    Frankly I'm sick of club football with the overpaid idiots and their massive egos.

24. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    And I'm sick of the clubs who dont give tinkers cuss about England only their greedy little selves

25. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Nice idea, but just that. Won't happen.

Don't even need centralised contracts. France have top notch academies that led to World Cup + European championships win.

Except this government have sold off playing fields etc ..... I don't need to spell it out. Also there's no space for academies. The countryside alliance wouldn't allow a huge football academy to spoil the view :rolleyes:

Well clubs pay the wages. If they went to a central system... well how will they afford a ferrari?! It won't happen. Too greedy now

You'd also have to change whole of europe. Stop Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan etc awarding 100k weekly salary. Do you think it can be done?

I was shocked at cricket figures though. 3 tier pay system, top tier gets, what, 160k annually? Footballers laugh at that. 2 weeks max to get that in Prem

Back to Sven. For 350k odd a month, he should be doing better. At the moment Sven is managing according to getting best out of Becks, NOT team

5-1 v Ger, he didn't do that. Gerrard as holding, Barmby on left, Becks right, Owen with Heskey. They weren't the hollywood names, but got job done

Sven needs to ignore tabloids, and drop one of Becks, Lampard or Gerrard. Play Rooney head of diamond, with Owen and big striker. I hate to say it, but Crouch or Heskey calls

That Rooney is suspended v Austria makes it interesting. I did laugh when I read 2day, Rooney called Becks a dlash b****** :D

26. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I would suggest they could be contracted to the FA for about 5 or 6 yeras and then allowed to join the club of their choice that is if earning millions was more important to them than wearing the shirt. For England thay would earn a max of half a million.

I would far rather select a group of honest players who gave everything for the cause than a bunch of overpampered prima donnas whao are a disgrace to the shirt.

27. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Thats half the current team gone....:rolleyes:

28. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I don't care if it's an Englishman or not. Gimme Martyn O'Neill anytime. You can add Stuart Pearce as his assistant if you like...

29. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,232
    Actually, you're right ^^^ doesn't need to be a englishman. Eng won ashes without english boss

Just someone who knows football, players and tactics

This is speculatory; Wenger, Ferguson or Mourinho would have won something with this squad time ago. OK, thats too prophetic. They would have come a damn sight closer, and known what to do vs Brazil and when Rooney came off vs Portugal

30. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Agree with the post, but it annoys me that we can't find an English Manager. Should not need to get a foreign import. Think they missing that extra spark of enthusiasm and passion if they are not English.