BIG Quandry! Fuji P50XHA40 vs P55XHA40

Which one would you get!!

• Total voters
B

boff

Hi Guys

I am stuck!!! just looking for opinions etc!!

I currently have a fuji P50XHA10, which I want to upgrade for HDMI etc.

My 10 series has the same 3000:1 Pana panel as the new 40 series. The differences as I can see are the AVM2 (well worth it) and the larger amount of sockets including the HDMI input.

The P55 only has 900:1 panel, but it's fujitsus new trick eALIS panel, which apparently unlike the old ALIS panel, drives all the rows at the same time, no flicker! and the black whilst not zero black like the 50 is different because the grey scale capabilities of the 55 eALIS are better.

I've not found a shop with them next to each other so it's hard to compare. Also my current screen in un-callibrated (just using FINE mode) so I'm used to standard images.

Do I buy the new 40 series 50" - an improvement on mine with the AVMII etc? Or do I take a risk on the larger 55" which when ISF callibrated will possibly walk all over what I had (if you get me) and be that all important 5" bigger (I'd love the 63"!!)

Looking frowards to your feedback

cheers

boffster

My 10 series has the same 3000:1 Pana panel as the new 40 series
Not so, the XHA10 is 5 series glass, 40 is a noticeable improvement.
The P55 only has 900:1 panel, but it's fujitsus new trick eALIS panel, which apparently unlike the old ALIS panel, drives all the rows at the same time, no flicker!

Not so, e-alis is 1 driver for 2 pixels. I thought as you did for several years, but have very recently found out, thanks Camorra, that the poor contrast/grey blacks issue is precicely because it is JUST like previous ALIS, lights lines alternately, 60Hz fixed internal refresh rate, so is likely to be radically different to live with than your 10 series.

An aside to this thread I guess, but have you ever worked with a 55", can you input native res? Don't suppose there'd be much advantage in doing it at 50Hz, given the internal limitations.

Not worked with the Fuji55.....I've seen it a few times. Piers had a go calibrating the one we had for Scottish HiFi show. I didn't think it was same league as the 50us40 thing.....it's nice...but for me the obviously brighter black level was too great. I'd rather loose some size and get a more dynamic image....but please don't think I think the thing is rubbish...it's not.

Gordon

My obvious biased vote went to the 50" - but i do know some people love the extra few inches..... :devil:

Oh and whilst I am at it..my eternal grateful thanks to HD, MAW and Gordy for blessing me with their brilliance and expertise..The screen just looks better every time i look at it Gordy! The textures, colour palette and sheer detail on offer on Kingdom of Heaven is breathtaking. And as for FRC - I hardly notice it on DVD!!!!

Those calibrated settings are wondrous, and I still have not seen HD proper on it yet!!!

You will be required back to do the recalibration once I get into DVD HD and SKY HD Gordy man! Fook.. I might even get it calibrated every year!

:thumbsup
:
Bless ya all.

xxx

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
I'd go for the 50" 40us model and an off board video processor myself.....
Could you please elaborate in what way the 50" Fujitsu is better than the 50" Panasonic, when you use an external video processor? I mean I always thought the main (or even only) thing the Fujitsu was better in was the internal video electronics. So when you use an external video processor, anway, shouldn't the Panasonic be equal to the Fujitsu in that specific situation?

Thank you!

..and Madshi mate? Where on earth does this thread have anything to do about a Panny???

Gordon @ Convergent AV said:
Would you please point out where I have said that the Fujitsu is better than the Panasonic? My comments were about the relative merits of Fujitsu 50" and 55" models.
Sorry, mea culpa!

There's another thread currently running somewhere which is about Fujitsu vs. Pany. I guess I confused the threads...

:oops:

If the choice is between 50" and 55" Fujitsu you should bear in mind the proposed viewing distance. Both have the same number of pixels so you can sit closer to the 50" without seeing the screendoor/chicken wire effect.

Wowzers thanks for all the responses.

Is the 55" that bad? - Gordon could you get it to work with your trick ISF stuff? I suppose I'm sat about 2-3m away.

Has anyone seen them together -and if Alis is the same as e-Alis - where's the e come from.

I'd love the 55" to be as good, otherwise I wouldn;t be here I suppose - just need to understand how much difference I'll notice!

Thanks ppl

Boffster

Ugly one:

Unfortunately, I have no fookin choice and have to sleep with the fookin beast along with my partner - as she prefers the bigger size... .

:rolleyes:

As the guy who set up the 2 Fujis at the Scottish Hi Fi show I think I am qualified to reply. The 50 was significantly better than the 55, even after recalibrating the 55 after the first day of the show. Both screens responded well to ISF calibration and most folk who saw them were oohing and aaahing over them both. The really critical viewers preferred the 50 but I wouldn't be unhappy with a 55 here.

And as I was the guy who bolted both the 50 and 55 up at the Manchester show and ran demo's on them all weekend, they can both look utterly stunning with all material I threw at them from off air recordings,DVD, 720P and 1080i material. Some time spent on ISF calibration will only give even better results.

Oh and anyone that says that e-ALiS is anything like the old ALiS is misinformed, they are so very different in operation that any supposed similarity is quite wrong.

One thing is for sure the 55" is quite a bit bigger than the 50", far more so than people had imagined, everyone thought the 50 was a 42" screen next to the 55". Oh and sitting 8ft away is just fine as that is where we had the bench seating placed all last weekend. The 50" panel does indeed have a slightly deeper black but the detail within the black on either screen is far better than many had imagined with one scene from Batman begins showing that one chaps trousers were in fact brown in the darker areas when other screen manufacturers processing simply made them black which they simply wasn't......

Don't get completely carried away with ultimate black level, detail has to be considered here also as throwing away detail and turning off the pixel isn't always best.....

Oh and BTW, we will have the 50" and 63" at Hammersmith (and the 1080p projector running timed demo's) and the 50/55 and 63 can be run pixel for pixel without issue from a suitable HTPC, try that with a certain other manufacturer's screen.....

Hammersmith??

Is this the Novotel show thingy at London over the next few days?? :confused:

Regards, Gerald.

Yep, What hi-fi S&V show,BTW nothing wrong with your screen, must be something else mate..

GrahamMG said:
Oh and sitting 8ft away is just fine as that is where we had the bench seating placed all last weekend.
Thanks for the information! Very interesting for me, since I'm still thinking about what screen size to go for my 8ft viewing distance!

GrahamMG said:
Oh and BTW, we will have the 50" and 63" at Hammersmith (and the 1080p projector running timed demo's) and the 50/55 and 63 can be run pixel for pixel without issue from a suitable HTPC, try that with a certain other manufacturer's screen.....
May I ask:
(1) Was this with 1360x768 or 1366x768? I thought the Fujitsus only supported 1360x768 with 1:1 pixel mapping?
(2) At which refresh rates can the Fujitsus do 1:1 pixel mapping? Both in 50Hz and 60Hz? What about 24/48 or 72Hz? Any of that working? The Panasonic commercial models can sync at 48Hz, as far as I've read.
(3) Did you get 1:1 pixel mapping via DVI or analog?

Thanks very much! :thumbsup:

Piers said:
As the guy who set up the 2 Fujis at the Scottish Hi Fi show I think I am qualified to reply. The 50 was significantly better than the 55, even after recalibrating the 55 after the first day of the show. Both screens responded well to ISF calibration and most folk who saw them were oohing and aaahing over them both. The really critical viewers preferred the 50 but I wouldn't be unhappy with a 55 here.
In what way was the 50 better? Just in black level or also in other areas? Thank you!

Hi Graham, I'm the one who is misinformed, by Hitachi's website, a link posted by Camorra, who's erudite and informed postings we have all come to love :devil: If you have light to shed on E-ALIS please do, especially if I am misinformed. I hate that.

ahhh..I do love it when the true experts on here and give us a proper "headline"!

Now what was that "other " screen I wonder???...lol!

:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom