1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big projection TV vs 36" CRT

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by backtothefuture, May 10, 2004.

1. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mate of mine's decided to go the big tv route (after hear me babble on about 36" tvs and how much bigger/better everything looks :D ) ...

only thing is for the price of a decent 36" TV (eg a £1,500 Philips) he can buy a 51" projection or a 42" projection for even less...both Toshiba ...and also with progressive scan

so now our main argument lies along the lines of .. ' CRT so much better quality..' , 'projection...big picture, more fun to watch + cheaper, + more fun for gaming' .........

space aside, what would you guys recommend for someone who watches a lot of movies and spends time on PS2 ...

quality is important but he's not one to want to see every pimple on an actor's face ;)

any recommendations?

2. Techno Freak

Techno Freak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Projection.

I have a Sony 41" rear projection set which is now seven years old.

It is still fantastic and is the set that we watch 99% of our TV viewing on. It is also great for playing XBox.

You only notice a difference in quality if you watch something, then straight away go and watch something on a CRT set.

I have never had any issues with the picture quality on my set and it is great for films.

I am going to upgrade to a plasma this year but I am finding it very hard to justify the expense as my RP set is so good.

3. Cmoth

Cmoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I to used to have a 41 inch Sony Rear projector, which i had for 5 years. I wanted to replace it for something more room friendly !! - I elected for a 36inch CRT widescreen TV , the new tosh picture frame. I would never go back as the picture quality pees all over the S3 sony. What you need to remember to, is that at 36 full widescreen picture in the correct ratio, is miles bigger than a widescreen picture on a 4.3 TV, so to me, there is not contest.

I wanted a plasma too, but as you say, they are still too much money and unless you intend to hang it on a wall, in my opinion not worth the extra expense and I would still question whether they are superior to the best 36 inch CRTs.

Colin

4. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the feedback :)

the projection sets my mate's looking at are 16:9 , so they'd in that case have a much bigger picture than comparable 36" CRTs

I guess we'll wait for a couple of more opinions till he buys one :)

5. ayubars

ayubars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 44" Sony kp44. It's great for gaming and movie. I had an old 29" Sony for years. So the upgrade for me was much better. Quality of pictures is better that the old one. But if you have an expensive 100hz TV like 36" sony or toshiba, then projectors TV's cannot match their quality.
    If you owned an old TV for years and suddenly upgrade to a projector, then i think you won't be able to tell the difference in quality.

Hope this helps

6. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I would say go for it, i have had a Tosh 40" for about 3 years and which is now starting to look to small (upgraditis setting in) there is no way i would go back to a crt even a 36".
    Can your friend view from far enough away which is probably the most cruical aspect of veiwing a rear projection tv.
    Also make sure you view with a good quality signal in the shop as some sets are worse than others.
    If he is happy with the picture then i would'nt worry if a crt may be better because they are not being viewed side by side at the same time,plenty of people have commented on how good the picture quality of my set is and are mostly green with envy that there wives won't let them have one.

7. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well he has a viewing distance of about 2.5 - 3m , lounge not that big

big drawback though is viewing in daylight, as the picture seems quite dim

8. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Backtothefuture,

You've highlighted two problems with rear projection (viewing distance and picture brightness).

A third factor to take into consideration with CRT rear projection is tube life.

To get sufficient brightness (just), the tubes are run hard.

It's difficult to get a definitive figure, but 10,000 hours is the generally accepted average.

That may sound a lot but it soon adds up!

9. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hm ok... I think he may end up going for the Toshiba 36ZP38 ... (CRT)

10. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    My brother had a 46wh08 Toshiba RPTV which he loved, but decided to get rid of it for a 36" Toshiba PF2.. he thought looking at the set in Curry's that the CRT looked much better then the RPTV (as they always do in curry's).. he had it 3 weeks before going and buying a 51WH36 RPTV which he thinks (and I do for that matter) is much better in the PQ department..

Having them side by side.. here are the differences..

1. The 36" is so small you seem to 'lose' detail.. i.e. very small detail is so small that at 2-3 metre's away you can't see it. on the 51" you can see it all..
    2. Reflections, inevitably unless you turn the lights off, you get reflections on the CRT.. the RPTV is extremely anti-reflective.. to the point that its easier to see the RPTV in bright sunlight then his CRT..
    3. The geometry on the 36 is good, but has some noticeable flaws, the RPTV is spot on, and any flaws that where there have been adjusted out (can't do that on a normal CRT!)

As for viewing angle.. well everyone I know that has an RPTV does not care... as long as you are sat virutally anywhere within reason, its more then fine, its just a moot point.. of course stand up, and walk around and you will notice it.. but how often do you watch a film like that???

If you search for 42wh36 or 52wh36.. you will see people with the usual gripes of sets not being setup very well at the factory (and this applies to all CRT based sets), but you will see quite a few who quite rightly are blown away by them... unless you are lucky enough to have seen a good one, you ain't seen nothing yet..

At the end of the day, lets not argue over Picture Quality, etc, the 36" PQ is excellent, and so is the RPTV.. but watching a film on a bigger screen is always better...

one happy bunny
    another happy bunny

Of course, I've picked 2 favourable reviews, but just search and ye shall find...

11. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks really cool mate... however its not suitable for his flat, way too big and also there's no cabinet where you can slot in the DVD/SKY/Video ....he just doesn't have the space, without the rest of the stuff looking in the way....

12. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I thought there was still an issue with rear projections and games consoles. Most of the instructions books that come with rear projection sets warn about using consoles don't they or at least console instruction books do. Another option is a LCD or DLP projector or LCD based rear projection set. As long as its LCD based its ideal for gaming and you get perfect geometry.

13. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got a THomson 40RPTV and i can say that the Picture quality
    is at least on a par with my former Phillips 32'' CRT, so i would
    say no advantage in the PQ departement but definitely an advantage in screen size for RPTV.

Also a 36'' CRT will be at least 25% heavier than a 42'' RPTV,
    and it will stick out from the wall more because the big CRT tube
    makes it way deeper.

My RPTV has a factory setting called 'gaming' for consoles which in
    essence is default minus 10% for contrast and brightness, i would
    think the danger is minimal as long as you avoid standing pictures
    (particularly bright white ones comprised of all three primary colours) for a longer period of time.

My settings are Brightness 54% Colour 54% contrast 40% sharpness 44%, bearing this in mind i would hope that i can get out more than 10000 hours out of it, but even if this figure is true
    and RPTV technology has advanced considerably over the last 2 years, i still would get out 5 years of viewing with at least 6 hrs
    a day from a TV which cost me under £1000 whilst a good 36''
    CRT would cost at least £1200 and i don't know what it will resell for after 10000 hrs of viewing.

As for the viewing angles, i have two three seater sofas in a row
    and all six people sat on it have perfect picture. As long as you keep a certain distance from th TV (maybe 1.5m) you could be
    50ft to the right or left and still see it, more than the lenght of my room anyways.....

I have attached a picture of mine on the stand with VCR, sky-box
    and DVD Player tucked in, from my viewing distance which is just
    over 9ft (little below 3m)

Attached Files:

14. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Backto the future,

As you see, there are pro's and con's for each type and everybody has their own view (sorry!) on the matter.

Hope you're not more confused than when you originally asked, or you'll have to change your name to "Backtothedrawingboard"!

Good luck.

15. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info guys,

you have 'converted' him! lol

I think he's going for the 42" tosh rpt... when his turns up i'll see how it is and may end up cancelling order for my 36" too!

16. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A good choice. Since the service level convergence was done on mine the picture has been excellent.

17. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    isn't the convergence factory set?

what exactly is convergence btw?

18. mxs

mxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I also have this set, and I am very pleased with the picture quality, the MAGIC setting on the the audio output is amazing! :smashin:

19. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Rear projection TVs use three tubes, one for each of the three primary colors: red, green, and blue. These three tubes project three separate images that merge together on the screen to produce a full-color television picture. The images must match up exactly for the picture to look right.

Movement of the RPTV (delivery for example) will more likely than not
    affect the convergence.

For more info see Demons excellent thread, description given for Toshibas,
    works for all the other RPTV's very similar though.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97056

20. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Depends which tosh 42" the current one 42WH36 or the new replacement 42WH46
    lots of problems with the 36
    i.e its an ideal tweakers set but if you are looking for something out of the box and you expect to work 1st time and everytime perfectly don't choose the 42WH36

21. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    willl keep you guys posted on what he ends up with.. will find out on Tuesday ;)

22. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I am an RP convert.

I wouldn't have got one originally, but purchased a good deal. It's a 4 year old 43" 4:3 Tosh and the picture quality is excellent. My intention was to buy a CRT but now I've got this I would not go back.

I play console games on it all the time and providing the TV is set up correctly (Avia) screen burn shouldn't be a problem and you can get the geometry and convergance spot on. Then again we play a lot of different games so it keeps things moving.

23. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the new Sony KP44 PX3, it has auto conversion at the press of a button - looks great and the new picture power gives a lovely picture - seen it in a local Power House Store