1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big probs with Tosh RPTV!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by blue_harvester, Mar 28, 2005.

1. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys I bought a Tosh 42PW33 RPTV from Currys about a month ago. After a week a red blur started to appear in the bottom right of the screen and was more apparent on black and white pictures. Engineer came out had a look, didn't have a clue what was wrong with it and ordered a replacement. Replacement came and again after one week the same thing happened albeit at a lower point on the screen!! I have a thread about this here.

I'm really peeved with this as I'm really happy with every other aspect of the TV. Should I get it replaced with the slightly more expensive 42WH46 model? Do these models tend to do the same? Or should I just get my money back?

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, this is a tricky one. I remember your previous thread (though I must admit I haven't re-read it). I believe there was some concern that you were placing your speakers close to the side of the tv and that they may have been affecting the internal crt(s). I am not sure if you came to a satisfactory conclusion. Are your speakers 'radiating' magnetism or not ? - I think a simple way to test might be to place an ordinary compass near them and see if they are magnetically shielded or not ? if they aren't shielded then fitting a different but similar model is likely to lead to the same problems. Perhaps you need to consider a different brand that has some form on internal magnetic shielding against external magnetic affects? Hope this is of some help even if it doesn't seem very positive. Regards, yt.

3. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks red16v. Yeah I have the speakers back to where they were with the old set. However, I didn't really come to any conclusion and I just took the advice given in the thread you mentioned about RPTV's not really being affected by magnetism. Also, I thought because the bulbs are at the bottom of the set they wouldn't be affected? I have the Left speaker the same distance away from the TV as the Right, but the left side of the TV is OK. How far should speakers be from the TV?

Finally, if it is the speakers that is the problem, has the damage already been done or if I move them away can the problem be rectified?

EDIT: KISSMAN has just informed me that there was a model instore with no speakers beside it with the same problem.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, without seeing the telly it's difficult to give any further advice - although I think I should point out that in the original thread I was concerned that an rptv WOULD be affected by external magnetism - not the other way round ! Perhaps you need to consider a different model rptv after all - I don't have much experience of rptvs. If you are able to degauss the existing telly and the fault goes away (if only for a while) then that would tend to confirm it is being caused by magnetic interference (?) As I think the various contributors to the original thread agreed external magnetism might well affect the geometry and convergence of the picture - but not purity - which your description tends to suggest. I can only think a purity 'issue' might be caused by dirt on/in the optical assembly or mechanical misalignment but how that would happen in a stable home environment beats me. Regards, yt.