1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big plans for new 4 movie batman boxset.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Aug 2, 2005.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    From digital bits.

There's big news for you caped crusader fans this morning. As we've reported in The Rumor Mill, Warner Home Video has finally announced the DVD release of Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997 on 10/18 (SRP $79.92). The box set will contain new 2-disc special editions of Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman & Robin (each 2-disc set will also be available separately for SRP $26.99). All four films on disc will feature new digital transfers (anamorphic widescreen video, of course), with audio in BOTH Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 surround sound. All four films are the original theatrical cuts. English and French audio options will be available, with English, French and Spanish subtitles (feature film only). Overall, the box set will include more than 18 hours of new bonus material. Let's run down the extras, film by film...

The Batman: Special Edition will feature audio commentary by director Tim Burton, 4 documentaries (some multi-part) including On the Set with Bob Kane, Legends of the Dark Knight: The History of Batman, Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight (featuring Part 1 - The Road to Gotham City, Part 2 - The Gathering Storm and Part 3 - The Legend Reborn) and Beyond Batman (featuring Visualizing Gotham: The Production Design of Batman, Building the Batmobile, Those Wonderful Toys: The Props and Gadgets of Batman, Designing the Batsuit, From Jack to the Joker and Nocturnal Overtures: The Music of Batman), 3 Prince music videos (for Batdance, Partyman and Scandalous), 2 profile galleries (The Heroes and The Villains), the Batman: The Complete Robin Storyboard Sequence featurette, and the film's theatrical trailer.

The Batman Returns: Special Edition will feature audio commentary by director Tim Burton, 3 documentaries (some multi-part) including The Bat, the Cat and the Penguin, Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight (featuring Part 4 - The Dark Side of the Knight) and Beyond Batman (featuring Gotham City Revisited: The Production Design of Batman Returns, Sleek, Sexy and Sinister: The Costumes of Batman Returns, Making up the Penguin, Assembling the Arctic Army, Bats and Mattes and Dark Nights: The Visual Effects of Batman), Siouxsie and the Banshees' Face to Face music video, 2 more profile galleries (The Heroes and The Villains), and the film's theatrical trailer.

The Batman Forever: Special Edition will feature audio commentary by director Joel Schumacher, deleted scenes, 3 documentaries (some multi-part) including Riddle Me This: Why is Batman Forever?, Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight (featuring Part 5 - Reinventing a Hero) and Beyond Batman (featuring Out of the Shadows: The Production Design of Batman Forever, The Many Faces of Gotham City, Knight Moves: The Stunts of Batman Forever, Imaging Forever: The Visual Effects of Batman Forever and Scoring Forever: The Music of Batman Forever), Seal's Kiss from a Rose music video, 2 more profile galleries (The Heroes and The Villains), and the film's theatrical trailer.

Finally, the Batman & Robin: Special Edition will feature audio commentary by director Joel Schumacher, a deleted scene (Alfred's Lost Love), 2 documentaries (both multi-part) including Shadows of the Bat: The Cinematic Saga of the Dark Knight (featuring Part 6 - Batman Unbound) and Beyond Batman (featuring Bigger, Bolder, Brighter: The Production Design of Batman & Robin, Maximum Overdrive: The Vehicles of Batman & Robin, Dressed to Thrill: The Costumes of Batman & Robin, Frozen Freaks and Femme Fatales: The Makeup of Batman & Robin and Freeze Frame: The Visual Effects of Batman & Robin), 4 music videos (for the Smashing Pumpkins' The End is the Beginning is the End, Jewel's Foolish Games, R. Kelly's Gotham City and Bone Thugs-N-Harmony's Look into My Eyes), 2 more profile galleries (The Heroes and The Villains), and the film's theatrical trailer.

No cover art for this collection (or the individual 2-disc special editions) is as yet available, but we'll post it as soon Warner finalizes it. FYI, watch for a Batman Begins announcement very soon.

Dave.

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Damn, i was hoping for an extended version of Batman Forever.

Ah well i will just have to buy the first two if they become available separately.

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279

Yes there was a rumour about a new 150 min dirctors cut that was being worked on, but I am not sure what happened to that., :confused:

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,189
    Guess you missed this bit of info...

Dont think I will pickup the Boxset but will defently get the first 2.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I'd certainly buy the "Batman" doiuble-disc, and possibly "Batman Returns", but not the others in the series, as htey were all crap!

Pooch

6. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I'll probably just get the boxset, if only to listen to the Joel Schumacher apology commentary on Batman and Robin, or the Easter Egg where (hopefully) it'll show him watching the Chris Nolan Guide on how to make a good Batman movie.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    chrislad, thats well funny :thumbsup:

I am quite disappointed about there not being an extended Batman Forever as the additional scenes from us.imdb make it sound like a far better movie imo.

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Presumably this is just him apologizing for 2 hours.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    oops - sorry chris, you beat me to it! :oops:

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,080
    Is this the same boxset due for release here on October 3rd?

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    just a quick note.

Unless the BBFC wave the previous cuts to the films.
    You are better off buying the region 1 editions.

Both Batman returns and batman forever have been cut .

9s cut 121:04s running time 1992 US film by Tim Burton.
    Same cut version has 12 cinema certificate and 15 video certificate.

Catwoman places an aerosol in a microwave but not in the UK version as we may be stupid enough to copy this idea.
    A clown swinging on chainsticks during in attack on Batman has also suffered. The BBFC refuse to allow the sight of chainsticks regardless of their usage. ​

and

Batman Forever

1:38s cut . 114:59s running time. 1995 US film by Joel Schumacher (Warner Home Video)
    Same cuts to cinema and video versions

Thanks to Gavin & Rewind for the following cuts list. Voluntary cuts by the distributor to ensure a PG rather than a 12 rating.

A shot of a cutting torch being picked up just after the main logo is missing.
    Two Face's reply after the guard says “You said you'd let me live” is missing Nothing better than live bait to trap a bat!
    After the “punctual funeral” line, Two Face shouting Kill the Bat! has been removed from the soundtrack and replaced with music and guards grunting
    When the elevator dings just before Batman exits, Two Face’ shout of “Blast him!” is not present in the UK version.
    The fight outside the elevator has lost a lot of sound effects, as well as a sequence where Batman drops his leg sharply onto a thug’s chest, complete with a loud thud
    Batman delivering a backward headbutt and breaking a thug’s nose in extreme close-up has been removed
    Close-ups of kicks to midriffs and faces are also missing
    Two Face’ lines in the helicopter about the acid have been removed
    In the sequence where the helicopter pilot is killed, Two Face emptying an entire clip into the helicopter pilot has been trimmed, along with shots showing the bullets riddling the pilot’s body from the front. The cut UK version has only three shots fired, and the pilot is shown slumping from behind
    The death of Nygma’s boss does not show him stopping on the window ledge, and hanging in terror, before Nygma runs over and says Fred, babe! You are fired! Or should I say...terminated? With this, he pulls the hat off him and he falls down, but this is all cut from the UK print
    Two Face’ line in the circus big top is cut from the UK version – Our new act for your personal amazement; we call it - Massacre Under The Big Top!
    A shot of Nygma laughing at the above line is also missing
    When the Mayor asks what Two Face wants at the circus, his reply is shortened from Batman. Bruised, broken, bleeding. In a word, dead! to simply Batman
    The UK version is missing the sequence where Bruce Wayne kills one guard on the right side of the big drum by coming up behind him, breaking his neck, and smacking him in the face as he falls
    When Two Face flips his coin before killing the Graysons, after his evil laugh he goes on to say Their kind of day, which is missing in the UK version
    As the bomb is raised through the roof of the circus, a quick sequence of Bruce flipping a guard over and kicking him hard in the gut is missing
    When Two Face accidentally kills two of his men in the car, their screams have been cut short in the UK version, and a shot of the driver’s terrified face has been removed
    The fight at Nygma’s party loses some impact sounds
    Shortly after this, Batman makes a guard do the splits and another crack accompanies this, but the sound has virtually been eliminated from the soundtrack
    A small crack has been greatly reduced in volume as Batman twists a thug’s arm backwards
    Robin throwing Two Face a vicious headbutts after the line, “This is for me!” has been replaced in the UK version, by removing the punch Robin throws after he says This is for my brother! and reinserting in place of the headbutt
    The uncut region 1 DVD is available from US Amazon

plus there seems to be some cuts to batman and robin

Thanks to Frosby. There are no BBFC cuts so perhaps the cut was made by the distributor:

I have seen both Region's 1 and 2 of this film and found at cut of about 5 to 10 seconds where George Clooney and Arnie tug and tussle for Mr Freeze's ice weapon, Clooney says to Mr Freeze didn't your mother ever tell you not to play with guns and cuts straight to batman lifting freeze in the air with the barrel of the gun.​

Dave.

12. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I remember seeing the US laserdisc version of Batman Forever, it was like watching a different film... the cuts may not sound like much, but put them all together and it is like every other line/scene is cut at the begining of the film! :(

13. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279

I will probably get the whole Region 1 box set.
    I really like the first 2
    Quite enjoyed the 3rd.

And would like to see what they say about the 4th film in the special features and wetaher the director new he was making a plie of :oops: or not :rotfl:

14. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say that just about sums it up nicely! Actually, "...Forever" was at least passable - not a patch on the first two, but a positive masterpiece compared to the abomination that followed. The franchise died when they ran out of the best villains (Riddler was the last, and Carrey just played himself as usual and although it could have been worse, he ended up more like a comic-book Joker (as opposed to the Jack Nicholson joker). Tim Burton got ****** with WB telling him to lighten the mood, and that was the end. Michael Keaton (who I never rated much as an actor) actually was, in retrospect, the best Bruce Wayne - he had more of the uncertainty and eccentricity about him, a bit like Alec Baldwin's Jack Ryan. Kilmer was too pretty and self-assured. George Clooney might have been a better long-term, but he had the misfortune of falling into a truly awful movie. The villains made it though - Nicholson totally "got" Burton's vision of what he wanted... that was a great performance, and I never thought it could be followed, but Burton got it dead-right with "... Returns" too: Danny DeVito did an incredible job taking a character who was a bit of a laughing stock in the comic books and turning him into a real villain, and as for Michelle Pfeiffer... ooo boy... a combination of sin and sex that I don't think will ever be equalled (are you paying attention, Ms Berry?)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Yes, you may be. Don't you feel safer knowing nanny is looking out for you and knows what's best? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: