1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Picture! - but for how long?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by old-Bill, Jan 6, 2004.

1. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I like the idea of a plasma screen as my living room is not large (17'x12') and is a bit cluttered.
    I have been told, by people who do not have such screens that they burn out or something and require maintenance after about 4-years which can cost up to £800. Two separate people have told me this, are they ill informed or is there any truth in what they are saying.

If I spend that kind of money and I mean for the ones that are becoming dated (£2500) how long can I expect it to last, is it going to last like a CRT, say ten years? or do they require to be maintained.

Bill:confused:

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    They are ill informed as plasma screens do not require maintenance.

The manufacturers figures show that the screens will usually run for thousands of hours before the brightness becomes half what it was originally which, if you've turned the brightness and contrast down (which is the first thing most people do when the plamsa arrives) then this figure is going to be longer. Under normal viewing, this will give you many, many years of viewing.

HTH

John (proud ownder of an Hitachi 42PD3000)

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe :) I wouldn't class a 17'x12' living room as small really (ours is around 14'x13' with a Pioneer PDP-433MXE panel wall mounted.

We sit between 9' and 11' from the display so your living room, even if cluttered :) should be fine (50" would look good :devil: )

Also, as johndon says, no maintenance required (probably refering to the old myth about re-gasing) and they'll last as long as a normal CRT 30000hrs + or longer with brightness and contrast reduced

regards
    Gary

4. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johndon and Nealgs,

thanks for the information this leaves me with an option to purchase, one of the persons who told me was a cable TV installer and that had me worried!

Did you fix your screens to a wall for convenience?
    Do you use PAL and NTSC progressive scan?
    Do all Plasma screens accept PS in PAL & NTSC?
    What should I look out for as necessities/would like to have?
    What receiver/DVD player would you suggest and why?

Hope you can assist,

Bill

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi Bill,

To answer your questions:

1. Mine is hung on the wall with the cable buried in the wall.

2. Yes, I use both even though my panel is an ALIS panel and is, therefore, interlaced. If you really want to get into it, there are some huge threads on here about ALIS and non-ALIS panels.

3. As far as I know they do via component input (but I could be wrong)

4. This is entirely down to personal choice - go and view as many as you can. The popular ones on this forum (in no particular order) are Pioneer, Panasonic and Hitachi - you'll not go far wrong with any of them. Personally, I prefered the picture on the Hitachi although this was before the new Pioneers and Pansonics came out (not that I regret my decision to go for the Hitachi)

5. I've got a Yamaha S540 DVD player that does both PAL and NTSC progressive scan and gives a great picture for a very good price (I think you can get them for less than £120 at the moment). My amp is a Yamaha 620.

HTH

John

6. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bill,

HTH :)

1. i'd say one of the points of getting plasma is due to the fact they can be wall mounted and free up a huge amount of space, we replaced a 32" CRT and a Soundstyle XS310 AV display unit with the plasma and a much slimmer hi-fi display unit (about half the width of the XS310)

2. No, unfortunately. Pioneer 525 DVD player doesn't support PS :( - upgraded needed at some point :)

3. Don't think the Pioneer HDP support PAL PS, think that was oine of the difference between it and the MXE series (not 100% sure on this)

4. I'd say probably don't pay for something you don't need or use - E.G will you be using a home cinema system? 5.1 speakers/Amp etc? if so, then you don't really need to buy the speakers that come with the plasma.

Also do you have sky/sky+?? if so then there is really no need for a TV based plasma (one with integrated/separate tuner/media box) Sky(+) will act as tuner

This is a bit more fiddley to configure/connect than media box based system but normally picture quality is better, or can be improved using external scalers (which IIRC media box based unit can't really use properly)

So for example:
    Hitachi 42PD3000 is TV based system, with the Hitachi PMA400E being the display only system
    Pioneer PDP-433HDP(?) is the TV based system with the 433MXE being the display only system

Hope answer to 4. makes sense

5. Hmm, difficult one really, obviously one that supports PS in PAL/NTSC and with component output, models all vary and like plasma panel, is down to personal taste/choice.

Some models to look at:
    Harmon Kardon DV25/DV30
    Denon 2900
    Pioneer 686/868
    johndons Yam s540
    Pioneer 565A

hope this assists somewhat
    regards
    Gary

7. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both of you for your help,

I see that I need to do some reading to find out what ALIS means and the differences between TV based systems and display only screens. (Do Amps/receivers include a TV tuner as standard?)

Presently I have NTL analog ( cable TV and phone line, using computer on phone line) but that can be changed to digital.

As Far as SKY is concerned I dont have a clue about their system; where should I start if I want to improve services to a Plasma Screen set up?, ie do I ditch NTL and move to Sky or is it an addition?

Does Sky have advantages/disadvantages over cable TV, phone lines etc?

Bill

8. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a thread somewere about ALIS screens - maybe worth doing a search for it.

Definately worth seeing one in the flesh compared to a non ALIS panel and making you own mind up really.

If you can get NTL digital then go for it. You'd also probably be able to upgrade to Cable broadband aswell rather than using you phoneline.

I think with Sky you get more channels, don't think NTL provide an equivalent for Sky+ though

TV based systems include an analogue based tuner either built into the Plasma or as part of a separate media box.

Display only screens are exactly that, they are just a viewing medium you have to use something else as the Tuner, eg one of these unit NTL cable box, Freeview box, Sky Digibox, Sky+ digibox.

We have a Pioneer PDP-433MXE which is a display only system (no media box etc) and use our Sky Digibox (Amstrad) as the tuner for recieving the TV programs.

This is plugged into the Plasma, viola a picture :)

Amp/Recievers don't include TV tuners AFAIA, they are used for sound amplification/video switching and with a Receiver Radio reception to.

hope this helps again
    regards
    Gary

9. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary,

That clears it up quite a bit, I will do some more searching as you suggest.

Bill;)

10. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THis sounds like the old chestnut that goes along the lines of "Yes Sir, you have to replace the gas every 3-4 years and it costs £800. However, if Sir was to purchase our extended warrenty, the gas change is included in the annual service......"

The most frequent comment on the US forums is.......

"Would that be leaded or unleaded gas!"

This sales scam has been reported on both sides of the Atlantic.

11. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Suziwong,

I see you have some Linn equipment, if you had to see the Rural setting this equipment is made in you would not believe it. Beside the river Cart in Glasgow on which used to run an old snuff mill! Beside Linn Park near Cathcart.

Bill