BIG mystery - phone switches off overseas

js474

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can throw any light on a mystery that's bugged me for over 2 years.

I fly to Jersey & Guernsey throughout the year for work and EVERY time I visit either/both, my old Nokia 6230i will NOT stay on despite being fully charged. I get off the plane, the thing is off and won't even get to the wallpaper-screen before going dead again.

As soon as I land back in the UK the phone goes completely back to normal - instantly.

Any ideas??!!

:confused::confused::confused:

I can't say definitely what's happening but there are a few possibilities. One thing you don't mention is whether the same thing happens elsewhere in the world.
It may be that there is a fault with the phone (perhaps firmware corruption) which means that roaming causes the handset to turn off.
Its also possible that an incompatibility between the handset and the network causes the handset to crash. (Would expect other people to have spotted this)
It's also possible the SIM is faulty causing a phone crash (perhaps when registering on the roaming network).

I can't say definitely what's happening but there are a few possibilities. One thing you don't mention is whether the same thing happens elsewhere in the world.
It may be that there is a fault with the phone (perhaps firmware corruption) which means that roaming causes the handset to turn off.
Its also possible that an incompatibility between the handset and the network causes the handset to crash. (Would expect other people to have spotted this)
It's also possible the SIM is faulty causing a phone crash (perhaps when registering on the roaming network).

Thank you very much for the reply - each possible reason makes sense. As it's a work phone I don't take it on holiday so can't comment on other countries effects.....

Thanks again!

Glad I managed to shine some light on this. Sorry I couldn't give a definite answer.
If I had to bet, I would say its a firmware problem. There have been some sporadic reports of the flash memory (where the firmware is stored)in early Nokia S40 becoming unreliable after a several years.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom