Big multi setup.

lecky

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum which I found via the gift of Google.

Basically I've jumped in at the deep end, offering to help someone out who's in the process of renovating a guesthouse. The job in hand is to provide freeview to 16 sets (gulp).
My previous experience in this type of field, was working for a cable company, therefore I will admit to knowing very little indeed about how all this works, but they asked me to help out nonetheless.
After a bit of reading up and looking at a few posts on here, I'm hoping that I've picked the right components for the job and was just hoping for a little advice to make sure I'm going in the right direction. I've sourced the all the components from the same supplier (Maplin) to try and keep things simple, and would be grateful if anyone out there could give me a yes or no, or tell me if I'm going the wrong way with anything. Any help would be gratefully received.
Basically i'm looking at mounting a 71 Element High Gain Aerial with a 2 way masthead amplifier, down to 2x KR20W 8 way amplifiers, then running a line to each tv point. Also looking at fitting one of these Scart freeview receivers behind each set.
Would this setup work, or am I completely barking mad even thinking about it ? Would it be ok to fit wall outlet plates etc...?
Many thanks for reading the thread as it's giving me a headache just thinking about it.

Mike.

It's going to be very hard to comment without knowing what location and aerial group specification you have chosen. If you put your postcode in here

UK digital TV reception predictor

and post transmitter and recommended aerial we would all have a much better idea as to what antenna would be best. You may be in a good signal area and the one you specify might be total overkill (how many TV's it serves is not really relevant). In so far as distributing the signal what you suggest may well be fine but ensure that the masthead amp has a variable output. Make sure you use satellite grade cable with a gold foil and copper wire screen and use fully screened wall outlet plates to minimise impulse interference. Also where possible use and choose equipment with f connectors (f connectors terminate 75ohm cable correctly without generating signal reducing and distorting reflections like belling lee plugs which don't have a 75ohm impedance)

Thanks for the prompt reply Graham, the postcode is La22. I had a quick look at the reception predictor, but I'm afraid until I do a bit more research I don't really know what I'm looking at. The "suggested aerial" column says "extreme outer fringe" for a 20 metre mast height, does this mean I'm out of luck for freeview ? I already have a load of sky type f-connectors, to use from my cable days. The main concern is can wall plates be used or will they degrade the signal ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply Graham, the postcode is LA22 0AD. I had a quick look at the reception predictor, but I'm afraid until I do a bit more research I don't really know what I'm looking at. The "suggested aerial" column says "extreme outer fringe" for a 20 metre mast height, does this mean I'm out of luck for freeview ? I already have a load of sky type f-connectors, to use from my cable days. The main concern is can wall plates be used or will they degrade the signal ?
Your main concern is if you have a signal at all. Madness to think about large installation until you test one set first, or get local info from locals.

The below think you may get Winter Hill
Freeview on Winter Hill TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice, since 2002

I did another check and it isn't available in this area until 29th July, when the switchover takes place.
I'll probably still put the cables and new aerial in place but not bother with any stbs for the time being.

Thanks for the prompt reply Graham, the postcode is La22. I had a quick look at the reception predictor, but I'm afraid until I do a bit more research I don't really know what I'm looking at. The "suggested aerial" column says "extreme outer fringe" for a 20 metre mast height, does this mean I'm out of luck for freeview ? I already have a load of sky type f-connectors, to use from my cable days. The main concern is can wall plates be used or will they degrade the signal ?

I see scribbler has given you some good advice. Winter Hill which is likely your best chance increase power in November, but even then whether you will have a viable signal will depend on the local terrain, you need a clear line of sight to the transmitter without a bloody great hill in the way (something there is plenty of in your neck of the woods :D).

Any connection will degrade the signal slightly but one properly screened wall outlet should be OK.

In your situation I would look at a satellite solution. You would likely need a 80cm dish with a quattro lnb (some multiswitches work with quad lnbs) aligned on Astra2 and distribute the signal using a 16 output multiswitch (you can also send TV down the same cable if you can get a signal).

Examples of multiswitches here

satellite-multiswitches-distribution satellite-multiswitches-inputs-khz

Basic fta satellite stbs are pretty cheap these days.

Maplin have one for £30.00

Maplin > SD Satellite Receivers

I'll be honest and say I wouldn't know where to start with a satellite system as I have no experience of working with them whatsoever. However as scribblers info on Winter hill, it's 97 kilometers away.

Are the satellite systems easy to set up, and how would I connect everything ? Should I just tell him to stop being a tightwad and get a professional in ?

Even satellites can be a problem with hills as they are in equatorial orbits so well south - ie low elevation.

He could certainly ask professionals to quote!

But a survey of local people's TV sources would tell a lot.

I'll be honest and say I wouldn't know where to start with a satellite system as I have no experience of working with them whatsoever. However as scribblers info on Winter hill, it's 97 kilometers away.

Are the satellite systems easy to set up, and how would I connect everything ? Should I just tell him to stop being a tightwad and get a professional in ?

It's not difficult to install a dish, fit a quad lnb and align a dish. But a multiswitch 16 outlet is likely a bit much for a first time installer.

This might help you to understand how a sat dis system works

Digital Spy Forums - View Single Post - Will the new Humax PVR work with 1 LNB feed?

If you type in the postcode here it will show you on a google earth map which way Astra is from the guest house and the elevation should give you a good idea if you have a clear line to Astra. It's slightly east of south so provided you are not north off and close to a cliff you should be OK

UKSatelliteHelp.co.uk - Satellite Dish Alignment / Setup Calculator 2.0

Also have a look round to see if neighbours have sky minidishes

Excellent link glt - should be on a sticky in the satellite section?

Iv'e looked at the terrain for winter hill and it doesn't look too bad but thats no guarantee of course.
Winter hill is to the south so as long as there is no large hills close to you i think it's doable.
The prioblem with the windermere relay is after dso there is only going to be 3 muxes available.

As for satellite if you can see the sun from the position where you put a dish at say between 09:00 - 12:00 now then you should be ok.
The sun will be behind the satellite at around 10:00-11:00 on the 21 march but before that date it will be under it and if you can see the sun then you should be ok.
And before anyone comes in with the exact figures this only a rough guide and also make sure there's no trees in the way.

Installing satellite dishes is easier than you think,I can put a dish up and aligned in less than an hour.
It's easier than installing an aerial you don't always have to go on the roof.

andy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom