Big mistake with impulse purchase?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by rodney_nz, Feb 23, 2005.

1. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello, After always wanting to get into home theatre, last week I purchased a brand new Yamaha DSP E800 to partner with my stereo setup (Nad c350 amp, 541i CD and Tannoy R3 speakers). I have also just purchased a new Tannoy Revolution centre to match the main speakers. The centre arrived today but I didnt actually realise how large, heavy and obtrusive this centre would be.

I am now starting to regret my purchase of the E800 and centre speaker as didnt really think how obtrusive and expensive this has started to be as I havent even purchased the rears or even DVD player (no sub either!!)
    Im wondering now if I should have just purchased an all in one system to run specifically for HT as I have been quite impressed with the sound of fairly inexpensive units (£200). Is it worth the added expense of the rears and DVD I need to buy or should I just give in and just get an All in 1 system? (compact and newer technology)

I cant afford a sub either so will an all in 1 give a better movie listening experience than my anticipated HT system (no sub), thanks in advance for your comments. :lease:

2. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Speaking as someone who has just done the same thing you're doing, I don't think it is a mistake. The E800 is pretty good at what it does and has transformed my enjoyment of movies in the 2 months I've owned it. It's NOT a cheap process but it CAN be worth the money.

Saying that, ultimately, your ears (and eyes) are the only things which will decide for you which way to go. If you can't hear/see the difference from a £200 all-in-one system then save yourself the money and buy loads of DVDs! The biggest difference is going to be the speakers (and especially sub, I think) but you could always add one of those at a later date...

I don't expect anyone here is going to pressure you into an separates route if it's not right for you, although other people may be better at pointing you to the bargains than I am to find kit to rein in the budget discrepancy. The biggest danger for your wallet (like mine) is that once you've bought a load of kit, you'll start reading more on these forums and start thinking "now what about if I upgraded to one of..."

One of the important things to realise is that your remaining purchases need not break the bank. A decent DVD player can genuinely be bought for about £50 if you shop in the right place and a competent pair of rear speakers need not be much more than this. My (novice) understanding of DVD players is that they are a bit like cars - the few really brilliant ones usually do cost more, but there's not much that's really unwatchable in most mid-range systems even at the budget end of the market. The same may NOT be true of speakers, I don't know.

Subs are a thorny area and possibly one place where cheap does not mean good. Buy something too cheap and you might as well put a big cardboard box in the corner of your room and hit it with a wet towel. You'll need to spend at least £150 (IMHO) on something like a Ruark Vita 50 to get something worth the money and nearer £200-290 to really start to fly. You'll soon see the favourite names if you look in the subwoofer forum here.

Just as an aside, I started by buying an E800 because I couldn't afford £1100 for an Arcam AVR300 to upgrade and replace my old stereo amp to 5.1. In 2 months I've probably spent about that on various other bits and pieces but I did get the centre speaker, sub, new stereo pre-amp, power amp and full set of cables so i've not got a full 5.1 system for the same price as a receiver! Now, what would happen if I upgraded to one of... :D

Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you end up doing. I'll shut up and let the experts step in now!

3. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your response. I hope that the end sound that I should acheive should be on par if not better sounding than a all in one (hopefully). I just dont want to end up making the mistake of spending more of my hard earned cash on something that will sound no better than one of the latest packaged all in ones. I was told that the Yamaha E800 is old technology and the processing is not as good as the latest all in one systems that have Pro Logic II and 7.1 etc etc. You also gotta love how an all in one can intergrate so easily together as they were designed to work in harmony together whereas Im making guesses as to what rears, sub etc to purchase and use.
    Thanks again

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yep, its an absolute beast, Rodney! I feel sorry for the shelf it's placed on!

My recommendation would be to buy a pair of R1's and use one of them as a centre speaker (not as daft an idea as you might think). Use the remaining speaker as the rear centre channel, if you are running a 6.1 set-up.

DT

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I rekon it's worth the added expense. IMHO those all-in-one system can't match the performance and flexibility of a separates system, in particular not at the price you mentioned.

Do you really think an all-in one system can compete with your current setup, in particular if you use it for music, too (I assume you do)?

I used some Tannoy speakers (M Series) before and found their bass to be pretty good. In fact I didn't use a subwoofer either at the time, so why not hold on to the Revolutions and add a sub later when you can afford it?
    Until then let the R3s take over the "subwoofer duties" - it may even sound better than the so-called subwoofers of all-in-one systems ...

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Very sensible advice - the R3's can go pretty low on their own. A cheap subwoofer might completely ruin the overall sound of your system anyway.

DT

7. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    :hiya: Well, as the owner of some R3's, RC and E800, I can say that I think you have made a wise buy, not an uneducated impulse purchase.

I use JBL Control 1's as rears, and the sound is very good. Movies are handled very well, and imho what you have will blow most sub 500 (at least) all in ones away.

And you have the benifit of having a cracking pair of main speakers to use with a dedicated stereo amp that will sound a boat load better than dare I say it the majority of all in one systems irrespective of price :cool:

I do have a XLS200 sub in there too, but survived a long time without one.

Hope this helps install some faith in your decisions.

Adam.

8. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all your help. I think you all have conviced me to continue my quest of a seperates HT (for both music and HT) rather than use my main stereo amp for music and also buying an All in One HT system. May look at purchasing some 2nd hand Tannoy M1's and leave the sub till later on as suggested. Have also seen some smaller Tannoy MR small speakers that I may consider buying but I think that the M1's are a closer match to the configuration I already have. Thanks again

9. Resonance

Resonance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    A quick comment to anyone thinking about going the Yamaha E800 route. Why not consider a more up-to-date full AV amp/receiver with all the latest processing and decoding PLIIx, Neo:6, DTS, DD EX etc... and use the main pre-out connections on the AV amp to connect into your existing HiFi amp.

Best of both world?

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I like the E800 and he already has one. :cool:

I use the 5.1 sockets to connect my NAD DVDP to my Naim system using the NAD as the processor.

But the E800 offers very reasonable sound quality itself. It's no worse than the difference between CDPs on music when driving my 753F mains.

Get a pair of (recommended) cheap rears to quickly get the surround experience without spending loads of money. The sub can wait until you can afford a good (recommended) one.

Hire your DVDs from the local video shop. (or whatever you have locally)
    It makes much better financial sense on a tight budget and you get to enjoy far more films than buying new DVDs.

Great post theo!

Regards
    Nimby

11. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ian, you got me thinking for a while and I guess you are right eg the newer amps have the newer chip sets, PLII EX etc etc, but at the end of the day I think that the e800 should do for now. End of the day I purchased it just to get into HT but didnt realise how pricey the whole thing would be (speakers etc). Thanks all for the good advice, next step DVD, rears -maybe even a sub if I have any pennies left ;-)
    Thanks again
    PS should any Tannoy rears do the trick (was hoping for R1's)

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sounds like a good match. :)

13. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you taken a look at the Tannoy speaker thread on the forum?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185650

Apart from the S8C's (which I purchased that may be bigger than you want) there are other Tannoy's available at very good prices direct from the supplier - Only shipping in the UK though.

BR
    David

14. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for the link. I already had R3's and purchased one of the Revolution centers and this was initially one of the deciding factors why I decided to go for the seperates solution as I paid only £54 for the center. I would have been laughing if they had speakers that I could use as rears, dont really want to get ones too large as they will dominate the room. Cant argue that the speakers available though,would have been a great buy!! :hiya:

15. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I understand. I thought the mX2's might have been of interest as they are certainly smaller - although I don't know if the finish would suit.

BR
    David

16. rodney_nz

rodney_nz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers everyone, ended up getting pair of 2nd hand M1's. Listening to them at the moment as the part of my stereo set up and quite impressed. Next purchase a DVD then I will be sorted! Cheers again for everyone's help