Big issue in my mind

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mozzarella, Mar 11, 2006.

1. mozzarella

mozzarella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    really sorry if my english is not perfect, but I'm Italian so it isn't my mother language.

The problem its that I'm going to change my current AV amplifier with a new one.

Fixed a budget not over 1200 €, the doub is:

- Onkyo TX-SR803 or
    - Yamaha RX-V2600
    - Yamaha RX-V4600 (if my wife doesn't will kill me)

Thanks a lot

:lease:

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    welcome to the forums, I would go for the yamaha options, very good amps those. buy something for the wife to distract her from how much you have spent.:D :D

3. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As some people pointed out to me , go have a listen. I did that yesterday and you can see from my signature, I have a new 4600. Get a friendly dealer, and arrange a listening seesion. I thook some music down, as I wanted to get better stereo sound also. The result was a 4600 £800 (€1120) And a new Cd [player.

Your ears will choose it for you. My wife wasn't too happy, however when her friends came round last night, she kept saying play this , play that.!!!!:smashin:

4. MaiaMan

MaiaMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am also looking to upgrade my system's stereo quality (at the moment I've got a Yamaha RXV630). From what I've read I think the advice is not to waste all your money on the receiver. If you want good stereo quality you'll need a dedicated amp.:smashin:

5. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually upgraded my Yamaha 630 to the 4600. You are right if you want to go down seperate boxes than maybe keep your 630 and get a different Stereo amp. I wanted a 1 box solution, I found the 4600 pretty musical (to my ears)

6. marconist

marconist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  7. mozzarella

mozzarella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for all your comment, but due to lack of space I'm afraid I cannot go to separated comp.

Now in your opinion, extra power apart, it's worth spending 100-200 € extra for get a 4600 instead of a 2600.

What are the main differences?

8. artyboy

artyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had the same dilemia earlier - 2600 or 4600.
    both actually share the same RMS power besides the general specs, except - only the 2600 has Video Upscaling to 720p/1080I, while the 4600 has i-Link (one cable digital-audio connection). so it all depends on your priorities - Video (upscaling)? or Audio (jitterless digital-audio signal transference = better sound, on top of cutting down cable cluster). in the end, i chose the 4600 as my top priority was HT sound and decent stereo playback. (maybe its just me but i always saw AV Amps as primarily audio components; besides my DVD player and plasma already having built-in video upscaling). but you'll be happy to know that both the 2600 and 4600 share similar sound quality. so it boils down to your priority for the 2 above-mentioned features. hope this helps. im very sure you'll be pleased with either of your 2 choices. cheers!