Big Gaming TV - SecondHand options?

pastrybloke19

Established Member
Reaction score
So I am hopefully going to be in a position to have a part living/gaming room, and one that could handle a big tv: gaming on a 55” AG9 is very good. With all the pressures on inflation/spending, I don’t think a really big tv from new, so thinking a second hand, maybe 2-3 years old?

Key aims:
  • 75” or 77” (have a 55” now, so figure 65” isn’t worth the jump in size?)
  • OLED would be nice, but guess LED will be cheaper/better value
  • not worried about burn in, don’t play that much
  • gaming wise not worried about HDMI2.1 and VRR/all that, but needs to look good (ie to my AG9 level?)
  • would like decent HDR gaming, but understand there will be a trade off
  • budget; was hoping to be around £1k but unsure if that is unrealistic: could push £1.3k or so.

So from memory, some of the good/recommended units from years ago were:

• XF9005: Not great HDR but was decent for games I think?
  • XH9505: remember this being well regarded all round.
  • Can’t remember which Samsung used to be good, think Q90R was good? Q80T?
  • LG C1: 77 is like £2.5k new, so doubt even second hand would be in budget unless some crazy deal

So, any specific models that I should look out for? recommended? And tips/advice too. 👍

Cheers

The 75" XG95 or the XH95 would be a good bet. Practically the same TV running the same firmware.
The 75" XG95 even had the extra filter that other sizes lacked.

XF9005 is not shabby either, biggest downside is slow smart OS.

Q90R is still a beast. Q80T similar to the new Q80A. Q70R is also worth considering, on par with the Sony XF9005.

Any 2017+ OLED is also fine, but make sure you can view the TV before buying, although that's probably a good idea anyway with LCD TVs.

The 75" XG95 or the XH95 would be a good bet. Practically the same TV running the same firmware.
The 75" XG95 even had the extra filter that other sizes lacked.

XF9005 is not shabby either, biggest downside is slow smart OS.

Q90R is still a beast. Q80T similar to the new Q80A. Q70R is also worth considering, on par with the Sony XF9005.

Any 2017+ OLED is also fine, but make sure you can view the TV before buying, although that's probably a good idea anyway with LCD TVs.
Thanks for the confirmation, good to know I was on roughly the right track.

Will keep an eye open for some of them and defo will go view before hand.

Out of interest, what/if 2022 TVs (assuming there are any around) would be your pick?

Thanks for the confirmation, good to know I was on roughly the right track.

Will keep an eye open for some of them and defo will go view before hand.

Out of interest, what/if 2022 TVs (assuming there are any around) would be your pick?
I haven't looked at any 2022 models yet as they're too expensive. From 2021 lines there's really only the starter HDR TVs in my guide close-ish to your budget. TV's like the Q80A, X90J and A1.

In the US there's a lot better choice at larger sizes because Hisense, TCL and Vizio all have better options than the bigger manufacturers for less money but in Europe Hisense's offerings are currently poor and the TCL C825 only goes up to 65". Hopefully that changes this year.

I haven't looked at any 2022 models yet as they're too expensive. From 2021 lines there's really only the starter HDR TVs in my guide close-ish to your budget. TV's like the Q80A, X90J and A1.

In the US there's a lot better choice at larger sizes because Hisense, TCL and Vizio all have better options than the bigger manufacturers for less money but in Europe Hisense's offerings are currently poor and the TCL C825 only goes up to 65". Hopefully that changes this year.
Thanks- yeh shame about TCL/Vizo.

So it does look like either cheap/2nd hand unit, circa £600-£1k.

Or look at a new C1 or QN9X, for more like £2-£2.2k.

I am under no pressure, so will keep an eye out for a while.

Cheers

I am under no pressure, so will keep an eye out for a while.
Keep an eye out on the Panasonic and Sony refurb outlets. As I'm sure you know the best deals come to those that wait!

Keep an eye out on the Panasonic and Sony refurb outlets. As I'm sure you know the best deals come to those that wait!
Good shout on the outlets, will keep an eye on them.

I did spot a 75” Q90T, brand new from Samsung for £1299: prob one year warranty. was in your 20/21 guide but can’t quite work out if it is a good deal or not: any thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom