1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big favour to ask of MT1/MT3 owners

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Comer, May 20, 2002.

1. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I am very pleased with my MT3 projector bar one minor niggle: stutter using a HCPC. My gaurantee is up in July so I need to determine if it's a problem peculiar to my projector (in other words it's faulty and I can return it) or it's a trait of the MT3 projector and I'll just live with it. But the thing is I have never heard anyone else with the same complaint regarding this pj.

So what's the favour? I would be most grateful if MT1/MT3 owners could check out two DVDs: any DVD with the Universal logo where stutter is very evident with the word Universal circling the world and the slow pan in Jurrassic park at the beginning of Sam Neils lecture after visiting his ex girlfriends house.

I know that people may not want to look for faults as it may make them aware of something that they never noticed before, so if I get no replies I will (insert sob here) understand.

Any help gratefully accepted

Conor

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have an MT3, but don't use HCPC, so no point in me checking I assume.

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    No I get perfectly smooth playback from my DVD player, but thanks for the reply anyway

Conor

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Comer, I dont own the MT1/MT3 so cant comment on your pj.

But from what you describe it sounds more likely to be a problem at the PC end.

I have a TV out card and the picture 'stutters' when playing back DVDs approx once a second (most noticable on slow pans).

I dont think that this is a problem with the TV :) or PC, its the result of the fact that the computer plays the DVD at 24fps (the correct speed) and the TV is 25fps.

Your standalone DVD player is designed to output to a TV so it will do something about the fps diffence - usually play the DVD at 25fps

Hope this helps,
    El

5. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks El

But I'm almost certain that it's caused by the pj with VGA input as I have used the PC to sent the picture signal into the PJs component input using a VGA to Component Transcoder and I had no stutter. I have also changed every part of the PC including the software DVD player 9WinDVD, PowerDVD, ATI and TheatreTek)

In fact if I change the refresh rate I get a much less stable picture with tearing etc. Also I don't think that this level of stutter would be acceptable to all the people who must run their PCs at a refresh rate of 60Hz but then I have nothing to compare to...that's my problem really. All that seems to be left is the projector. I really would love if it were a problem with the PC, that I could tackle.

Thanks again for your reply

Conor

6. void

void

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have yet to see this film, so I will try to get a copy. In the meantime, what settings are you using? Are you saying that you can only use 60hz refresh without stability problems? I use an ATI 7200 at 800x600 75hz with zoomplayer or powerdvd with no tearing or other probs. Will let you know about slow pans.

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I watched the Universal logo (word universal spinning around the world) on R1 The Mummy last night at 72Hz with no real improvement in the stuttering but with slight increase in the instances of tearing.

I see very minor tearing at odd intervals while watching a movie, even at 60Hz, but it is very minor almost like micro tears about one third down the screen. They really don't bother me at all and in fact nobody elese has ever noticed them.

I am using the Radeon VE video card (have also tried the Gforce) at 800X600 at 60Hz

Conor

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi como,

I have an MT1 which now and again hook up to htpc. When i first tried it out my pc had a built on ati 3d chip and the performance was quite awfull!

I then upgraded my processor and added a nvidia gf3 ti500 card. Then i thought i would give it another go. There was a great improvement. The only time i could get perfect performance was at 800x600 at 60hz refresh rate. The only thing i noticed was slight pan stuttter. e.g. the famous start of inssurection bit.
    Saying that I get that off my dvd player as well.
    The only gripe I had was that on r1 discs i expected to get rid of the jagglies seeing that the MT1 ect.. are supposed to take ntsc progressive! I noticed no less jagglies than before so I dont bother with htpc now. Unless someone out there can help me?:confused:
    So in answer to your question, the only stutter I noticed was during shots where the camera slowly pans accross the screen.

Hope this helps:)

9. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi Joe

Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about, those slow panning shots and the opening scene in ST Insurrection is quite bad.

There is no real improvement in jaggies using the MT3 with a PC over a stand alone DVD player but there is a great reduction in the vertical line structure in background or smokey/cloudy scenes. However the real improvement with the PC is in detail resolution as there is no scaling done by the projector if u feed it an 800X600 image at 60Hz. I found that using the standalone DVD player there way a "fuzziness" to the picture that is not there from the PC, in fact the picture is razor sharp on almost all DVD's. And where it is not razor sharp it's the DVD disk that's at fault. I found the Patriot R1 very hard to watch using the standalone player because of picture always looking slightly out of focus especially with faces (check out the wedding scene on the beach) but with the PC it was perfect.

I also tried the iscan with no real improvement and I even tried sending a signal from the PC through a VGA to RGB convertor into the component input of the pj and that was even worse that with the iscan.

So my conclusion is that the best picture quality, by far (IMHO), is from a PC, but with a price...stuttering and some slight tearing. My guess is that all LCD pjs have a less stable picture (stuttering/tearing to a greater or lesser extent) using the VGA input. I even brought an LCD pj home from work to compare (a two year old Hitachi) and it exibitd the very same stuttering.

Thanks for your reply Joe now at least I can stop looking for a solution that is not there to be found. Maybe you'll give the HCPC a second (or third) chance. If there is anything that I can help with, don't hesitate to ask (not that I know that much about it)

Conor