big dScaler improvement (over s/w DVD player?)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rob.Screene, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I put this on the end of the sticky HTPC setup thread, but realised most people will not see it...

+Enermax EG365P-VE Whisper Quiet Dual Fan PSU
    I read a comment from the http://www.digitalconnection.com guru on AVS that this gives significantly cleaner power for the price. They appear to use these on their systems now.

I realised I had one in a new Desktop., so last night I tried swapping this PSU in place of the "quality 300W powersupply" I had in my HTPC.

+The reduction in video noise on the S-Video input of the Pinnacle PCTV Rage PCI capture card into dScaler is quite significant.

I was mainly using this for just Playstation2. The input was usually too noisy for most Laserdiscs, certainly looking at a Playstation2 played DVD film showed enough noise to put me off.

Now with this PSU, I looked at Star Wars I DVD via the Playstation2 and the noise was at quite a low level. I'd even say I may find the lower noise less offending than the software players I'm running at the moment:-

a) WinDVD 3.0 no hardware decode - background macro blocks creeping about, dimming of dark scenes.

b) Win DVD 3.0 hardware decode/radeon 7189 driver (no DXVA support) - occasional error on player startup which needs an OK click to then run fine.

c) Zoomplayer 2.3/ATI5.0/radeon 7189 driver. Juddery pans, lip sync issue after playing a while or pausing.

I will definitely connect up my domestic Sony 725 player via S-Video into dScaler now, plus try a good few Laserdiscs.

I'll then decide between an ~£185 IDS Falcon capture card (about the cleanest S-Video into a HTPC; http://www.iste.com/video-capture/v...ure.html#falcon) or trying the £70-100 TheatreTek software player/filters. Anyone know of a Component or SDI dScaler input solution for sensible money?

I am cautious about TheatreTek because some are reporting issues with it in the avs and immersive forums and that I begrudge having to have software shipped from the US with potential vat&duty costs without a trial evaluation.

I also noticed the Desktop PC with my HTPC's old 260W power supply was running a cpu (Athlon 1900+) temp of 50c at idle where is was around 44c with the Enermax in place. Airflow out from above the cpu is abviously improved with the Enermax's second temperature sensitive fan. I also think the fan is nice and quiet.

I think I'll buy another one to go back into the desktop, this one can stay in the HTPC. I got the first one from http://www.scan.co.uk/products.htm for 350W Enermax EG365P-VE Whisper Quiet Dual Fan PSU AMD Approved / P4 £44.36inclusive+£10 shipping or
    http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-s...bd=asc&stab=ref
    for £55.22 delivered. I have used Scan for years, they are usually a good supplier but the Returns phone line can queue a long time before being answered.

I've actually ordered a Falcon capture card today, as that should benefit Playstation2, Laserdisc and any analog inputs, even if I don't use it for DVD input.

cheers,
    Rob.

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Just so you can work out whether you think it's worth it.
    I paid a total of 66GBP for TT.
    It arrived and my system was very unstable.
    I was in the seven day trial when I emailed TT support to ask about refunds in case I couldn't get it to work.

As their copy protection is pretty good they were happy to refund the cost (minus shipping) as long as I didn't request the unlock key.

In the end they gave me a lot of advice and after a reinstall and a fiddle it was the smoothest running player on my system.

I love it for the great pq, the windowless interface and the easy to use aspect ratio (auto detects every single dvd that I've played yet) and allows for non-anamorphic letterbox films with two lines of subtitles below the picture (with a little fiddle).

That said, it did take a while to arrive and does hang when I'm playing with the chapter/pause button on certain discs.

Just thought I'd mention it as I too was worried about the cost and the lack of trial.

Re: Enermax - yes, I've got one of those too and it does seem a really good piece of kit. I'm looking forward to trying sky with an s-video feed:)
    My standalone dvd through dscaler was a lot better than I expected but not as good as any of the software players I've tried. + it always had lip sync problems with certain discs:(

Regards
    Alex

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I currently have Sky + connected via svideo to a Falcon card, I have also tried a Sony 725 DVD player connected via s-video. Very good but you still see a little bit of noise, the clarity and colour saturation are much better than the WinTV and ATI cards that I have also tried. I also have a very high-end PSU and can recommend this approach. For my next trick I have an SDI PC card and I'm about to order a pro multi standards converter that will convert composite, svideo, RGB, component, SDI to composite, svideo, RGB, component or SDI. This will allow me to take pretty much any source and feed it (once converted) digitally to the PC for DScaler to do its stuff. I'm hoping that the end result will be as good as if not better than the likes of a Vigatec or Rock+ scaler. This is not a cheap option by any means, but still some what cheaper than a good external scaler.

Jeff

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Jeff, is this the Kramer FC-4045 that you highlighted a while back or have you found a cheaper alternative?

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Still the Kramer, all £1200 of it. :eek:

Jeff