1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Dilema....need help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Poolsharkie69, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was just at my local audio store. I currently have the Yamaha RX-V640. I bought it in march and am fairly happy with it. I talked to my friend there and he said I could bring it back and upgrade to the RX-V1500 for $400 taxes included. 130 RMS per channel and THX certified. I run 4 Paradigm Titan Speakers and the large C170 i think Paradigm center with teh DB-10 sub. I really liek th look and functionality of the new Yamaha 1500 YPAO and on screen customization on my tv. Can anyone tell me if this is a smart thing to consider....will this amp not be a good purchase for my speakers? I listen to alot of alternative music and play xbox and ps2 and watch a lot of DVD's. I know Yamaha are not the best with music...but I am a loyal yamaha user...please someone help...I need to decide by the end of the day....he only has one left in a box.

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a cracking deal, depending on how much you paid for the 640...if you can do so, take your 640 to the shop and ask to demo them side-by-side.

Though I feel honour bound to point out that doing this will almost certainly result in you forking out $400 :devil:

The 1500 should sound great in stereo, a vast improvement over the 640 - you might even get your rear speakers working :hiya:

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to put it in perspective, the RXV-1500 costs the equivalent of 1300 canadian dollars here :eek:

I want your hifi shop where they let you upgrade every year for peanuts!

4. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they are very good to me...but I have known the owners son for all my life. So they are letting me bring back the 640 and giving me the full amount I paid for it...600...so the 1500 will cost me 1000 including tax in the end. I hope it will be a nice pariing with my paradigm speakers....

5. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe ask if they'll demo the amp with your speakers? Take your speakers to the shop and get them to connect them up to be sure you're happy with the sound. Hopefully you can avoid the problems you've got with the 640!

A yammie 1500 for £430 is a cracking deal :thumbsup:

6. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i just went and got it. He said I could bring it back if I wasn't satisfied. Gonna hook it up in about 2 hours when I get home. Well I paid 500 for the 640 when I bought it in march so all told I got the 1500 yammie for 900 including tax whcih ci think is good price here in canada. Can't wait to try out the automatic microphone thing. I don't sit directly in front of my system so I have to find out how to compensate for that. Thanks for the replies...

7. Poolsharkie69

Poolsharkie69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i got it hooked up last night. Let me tell u what an ordeal. Fun as it was ...way too many wires. I have run into a bit of a dilema though. I don't think there are enough hookups on this amp for all my equipment unless i use the front panel inputs...which takes away from the look of the amp (which is very sexy). Hereis my hookup:

5 Disc Changer (DVD) through component direct to TV. Audio is optical into DVD optical.
    DVD Recorder S video and RCA Audio
    Xbox is hooked into the Yammie using svid and optical. The Svid goes into the DVD input on the yammie and optical into CD optical.
    PS2 into VCR1 using svid and rca (L-R)
    SAT into CBL/SAT using Svid and RCA (L-R)

I have the xbox in to the dvd input because I ran out of inputs without using the front panel.

I want to have everything run through the amp for easy switching even though I have the Sony AV-3000 macro remote that I could use for switching the system.

I know this amp will up convert everything to component. I think I will lose th e xbox hookup if I go buy another component cable and run the dvd through my yammie. Any suggestions on a better hookup scenario? I have the advanced output accessory for the xbox which I use to get svideo and optical but it does not handle component? I have heard that the signal for component is better (a bit) when I pass everything through the amp?

I love the amp so far...sounds nice and full with my paradigm titans. Took a long time to set up. I did the auto set up but I had to do some manual adjustments to the system. I set the crossover freq on teh sub to 80khz...hope that is good.

Any comments on a better routine to hooking everythign I own?